If it’s Lebby, what’s your issue?

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
What evidence is there he can run a program? Definitely looks like he can run an offense.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If it's him I'm on board. Not my first choice, but better than Fritz, who i was scared we'd end up with.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Lets Ride GIF by Giphy QA

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
Hiring another coordinator is what makes me nervous. We hired a proven winner with ML and it worked. Do that again.

Reactions: The Fatboy

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
His main fault - such as it is - is lack of head coaching experience.

You and I both know that coordinator experience is different than running a team.

Maybe his father-in-law will be his consigliere for some MAFES Cheese? **

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
He speaks like Pruitt. He brings Briles baggage. His own fanbase is tired of him. His play calling in crunch time is head scratching. He has no HC experience. He has always been OC behind OC head coaches. He has OM ties. He is fat as 17, before we know it he will be coaching from a golf cart. I'm not sure Jet left Jet right will work here. His offense sputters in short yard situations.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
No issue other than can he be a head coach? My guess is yes he can. Bring in good staff and it won’t matter as much.
We need :
1. A good recruiter
2. A good talent developer
3. A good leader and motivator
4. A good offensive scheme
5. A competent DC
6. NIL

If he can check those boxes he will do good

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
He speaks like Pruitt. He brings Briles baggage. His own fanbase is tired of him. His play calling in crunch time is head scratching. He has no HC experience. He has always been OC behind OC head coaches. He has OM ties. He is fat as 17, before we know it he will be coaching from a golf cart. I'm not sure Jet left Jet right will work here. His offense sputters in short yard situations.
There’s some truth there, lol

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
“Speaks like Pruitt”. I’ve been trying to put my finger on it, and that is spot on. I don’t think Pruitt was a very smart person. I sure hope Lebby is smarter.

I can get on board with him, but that’s what concerns me most - being the face of and running a program.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Does G5 HC experience really lessen the risk vs a coordinator? I mean you may get Drink or you may get Neal Brown, Willie taggart, Chad Morris, Billy Napier, Dan Hawkins, Brian Hardin, etc

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Does G5 HC experience really lessen the risk vs a coordinator? I mean you may get Drink or you may get Neal Brown, Willie taggart, Chad Morris, Billy Napier, Dan Hawkins, Brian Hardin, etc
It doesn’t lessen the risk.

After all, we are Mississippi State.

But we get a better picture of how someone runs a team.

If you twisted my arm, my top choice of those rumored would be Elko if only because he’s had some success at Duke which is a Power 5 program.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
1. First time head coach.
2. I don’t love his connection to Art Briles, his time at Baylor, and the weird stuff he does to remind people he was involved in that. Also, I don’t care what the courts say. Sometimes illegal and immoral are not the same thing.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
It doesn’t lessen the risk.

After all, we are Mississippi State.

But we get a better picture of how someone runs a team.

If you twisted my arm, my top choice of those rumored would be Elko if only because he’s had some success at Duke which is a Power 5 program.
While I really want Candle or the guy from Colorado University of Mines, I would be happy with Elko.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
King Jackie and Leach were experienced head coaches. Mullen spent 8 years under a national championship caliber coach. If we want a coordinator, that’s the resume you need.

I guess people forget that he sucked last year. And he wasn’t the OC under Kiffin. Neither his appearance nor his aura inspire confidence. The only reason we are talking to him is because Selmon knows him.

Bad play.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
While I really want Candle or the guy from Colorado University of Mines, I would be happy with Elko.
Toledo and Colorado Mines are both really good programs.

I can see a Power 5 school hiring Candle.

Sterbick is a first-year head coach (his predecessor is at San Diego in the non-scholarship Pioneer League now) but he’s certainly a coach on the rise.

was21

May 29, 2007
Does he know what asparagus are?

Reactions: tenureplan

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Scoring against Cincinnati, Iowa State, UCF, West Virginia, BYU, and TCU defenses with Oklahoma players doesn't tell me he's going to score against Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, and Tennessee. It also doesn't tell me he can run a program.

And Kiffin is the OC at Ole Miss. Their offense hasn't seen a drop off since Lebby left.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
King Jackie and Leach were experienced head coaches. Mullen spent 8 years under a national championship caliber coach. If we want a coordinator, that’s the resume you need.

I guess people forget that he sucked last year. And he wasn’t the OC under Kiffin. Neither his appearance nor his aura inspire confidence. The only reason we are talking to him is because Selmon knows him.

Bad play.
Oklahomas offense did not suck last year. They did get blanked by TX when Gabriel didn’t play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
1. First time head coach.
2. I don’t love his connection to Art Briles, his time at Baylor, and the weird stuff he does to remind people he was involved in that. Also, I don’t care what the courts say. Sometimes illegal and immoral are not the same thing.
What Dawgg said. We can do better. This would be a typical lazy Mississippi State hire.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I’m not sure I’m all in on that Colorado school of the mines guy, sounds risky

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What Dawgg said. We can do better. This would be a typical lazy Mississippi State hire.
Examples below being…

My only one is he’s never been a HC. Arnett has me trigger shy.

And Moorhead…
And Croom…
And Felker…
And Shira…

PDH—

I get where you’re coming from and you’re using an argument I often use— Occam’s Razor— to cover a shortcoming of this year’s team that we all know has been present this year.

But the bigger shortcoming has been coaching leadership and what’s needed is — and the scary thing is that this thought is bringing us back to the days of Sly Croom— a coach who will do things the right way.

In this case, someone who knows how to run a whole team.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
And use intelligence and actual reasoning to respond
Like that he’s a solid OC. Would prefer proven HC experience. Can’t even pretend to KNOW enough about evaluating football coaching to have a fully informed opinion. Ready for Fall to get here to see if whatever we hire can make it happen.

Reactions: paindonthurt

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Bad play.
This is my biggest fear

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login