If Leach Is Here Next Year…

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
You have to force him to find a mobile qb in the portal and an OC with a modernized Air Raid. I get Will has records, but my grandmother would’ve had records if she threw the ball 50+ times a damn game. If he’s against either then it’s time for ol boy to move back to Key West permanently. Spare me that he’s “one of the best coaches in America”, he hasn’t been here and good coaches adapt. We have the Ben Howland of football right now leading the program.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"If". LOL.

And he's not changing. The only way we get a "mobile qb" is if we happen to get lucky and find one who is an accurate passer and can also run, of which there aren't very many, and they are obviously coveted.

Ya'll might as well get over this issue. And also better hope Chris Parson is that guy, i.e. the next iteration of Johnny Football.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You have to force him to find a mobile qb in the portal and an OC with a modernized Air Raid. I get Will has records, but my grandmother would’ve had records if she threw the ball 50+ times a damn game. If he’s against either then it’s time for ol boy to move back to Key West permanently. Spare me that he’s “one of the best coaches in America”, he hasn’t been here and good coaches adapt. We have the Ben Howland of football right now leading the program.

The level of dumb that enters these threads after losses is amazing. Hell this was a win over a typically powerful SEC rival and the dumb still comes oozing out of so many crevices.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
The level of dumb that enters these threads after losses is amazing. Hell this was a win over a typically powerful SEC rival and the dumb still comes oozing out of so many crevices.
We have looked completely inept for 3 straight weeks now. Bama is the only team that you can maybe give a pass on that with. Kentucky isn’t good and clearly neither is Auburn. And that “typically powerful SEC rival” was led by an interim Cadillac Williams and a team that had 4 days to prepare for us.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
We have looked completely inept for 3 straight weeks now. Bama is the only team that you can maybe give a pass on that with. Kentucky isn’t good and clearly neither is Auburn. And that “typically powerful SEC rival” was led by an interim Cadillac Williams and a team that had 4 days to prepare for us.
Maybe Auburn's problem was that they were spending the whole season preparing for us instead of whomever they were playing each week.**

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
As for QBs, it isn't that difficult to find a QB that can throw and with at least average speed.... right?

I look around the league. Bennett was a walk-on? He would be good in this offense. AU, LSU or even Levis would work here.

my point is, we don't have to have a NFL guy. We can upgrade talent at QB easy. Maybe Parson is that guy.

My concern with this offense, even with a better athlete at QB, for it to be effective against more talented teams, we need to have more size and speed at WR too.

Reactions: patdog

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
As for QBs, it isn't that difficult to find a QB that can throw and with at least average speed.... right?

I look around the league. Bennett was a walk-on? He would be good in this offense. AU, LSU or even Levis would work here.

my point is, we don't have to have a NFL guy. We can upgrade talent at QB easy. Maybe Parson is that guy.

My concern with this offense, even with a better athlete at QB, for it to be effective against more talented teams, we need to have more size and speed at WR too.
What's the deal with Sawyer Robertson? Has everybody given up on him when he has had practically zero playing time to develop and show what he can do?

patdog

May 28, 2007
What's the deal with Sawyer Robertson? Has everybody given up on him when he has had practically zero playing time to develop and show what he can do?
Players develop in practice, not in games. He’ll get playing time if/when he earns it. And no, I haven’t given up on him. He may be a very good QB for us. Or he may never win the starting job. Could go either way.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Fool's gold. Auburn is hardly typical this year -- they are downright weak.

If MSU simply matches every Auburn score after a 3-TD lead, it's a convincing win and the gripign is subdied. But to almost lose and play down to the level of a poor opponent is unaccrptable if expectations are for a more successful season.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If you have to force him to change, you have to fire him. We’re paying him $5M to make those decisions. If we’re not going to fire him (we’re not), let him do his job.
I agree with this. Leadership needs to determine whether or not the program is on the appropriate trajectory.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Here is the thing about parson. That's a good 3-4 years away from him even playing. Leach doesn't typically play young guys. He was forced to with Will. Everyone else left snd the transfer was being absolutely terrible.
The other thing is I doubt Leach will let him be the athlete he is. I can't remember a bunch of mobile qbs under leach that would take off snd run 40 yards if it was there

Reactions: ArcherSPS

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Players develop in practice, not in games. He’ll get playing time if/when he earns it. And no, I haven’t given up on him. He may be a very good QB for us. Or he may never win the starting job. Could go either way.
Well, I guess what I really meant was get meaningful game experience instead of develop. Everybody needs a chance to get meaningful game experience to reach their potential. I was just posing the question because it seems like everybody is overlooking him for the future now and focusing on Parson and Locke. Were either of them rated more highly than Robertson?

Last edited:

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not changing my opinion that Leach is gone Black Friday if the Egg Bowl is a loss. There’s a lot of momentum building for Keenum to pull the plug.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
I’m not changing my opinion that Leach is gone Black Friday if the Egg Bowl is a loss. There’s a lot of momentum building for Keenum to pull the plug.
Cue the b-b-b-b-but no coach will take our job excuse. Bullshat. There are plenty of guys out there that would run to an SEC job paying 5 million+.

I’m indifferent about Leach staying or going, but if Rogers is still the QB then next season will just be status quo. He is what he is and he’s not going to get any better no matter if we upgrade receivers or not.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Fool's gold. Auburn is hardly typical this year -- they are downright weak.

If MSU simply matches every Auburn score after a 3-TD lead, it's a convincing win and the gripign is subdied. But to almost lose and play down to the level of a poor opponent is unaccrptable if expectations are for a more successful season.

Their team as a whole is weak, but their talent is not. Typical Auburn talent is still on the roster, especially on their defensive front 7. They were 11th in the FPI preseason for that reason. They have a lot more talent than us.

That being said, we didn’t play up to our potential against a program in disarray, and it nearly cost us. We have a lot to improve on for sure.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
How are we going to force him? We'll have to pay a $15MM buyout if he refuses, and we aren't doing that.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
yea buddy, we are firing a 6-3 coach when we are the poorest school in the sec in The nil era.

sounds like we’d get a line a mile long applying for that job

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
Here's my three cents (inflation, ya know): Normally, there's no way Leach gets fired at the end of this season, BUT

We'll have a new AD coming in, and perhaps they don't like the air raid scheme and are convinced it will never get Miss St over the hump (pun intended). So maybe this new AD, should State lose the Egg Bowl and/or lay an egg in the bowl game, might act sooner rather than later.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Does your grandmother have any eligibility left?

There is a reason Will has been starting since 2020. He's the best passer we've ever had. We could do better, but we usually have much, much worse.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Is it interesting in that alternate reality you live in. Maybe I should visit.

Leach ain't getting fired.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You lost me with "IF" in the title and nobody's gonna force Leach to do a damn thing as long as he's HC. Nobody is more concerned than Leach, Will and the whole damn team about Will's lack of mobility. No QB on the roster right now can whip balls into our receivers hands while they're being covered or complete timing patterns like Will can and it's not even CLOSE. Just Accept that Reality for now because otherwise you're just beating your head up against a wall. If Will goes down this year, we are TOTALLY 17'd.

Reactions: She Mate Me

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Does your grandmother have any eligibility left?

There is a reason Will has been starting since 2020. He's the best passer we've ever had. We could do better, but we usually have much, much worse.
By records only, but he’s not the overall best QB we‘ve ever had. He‘s. good for this crap system that’s it. Doesn’t read defenses very well, no arm strength, can’t or won’t run and makes to many mistake. He does okay in this type system that’s it. Any QB who’s played in Leaches system they suck at the next level or in most cases never make it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Leach is not getting fired or asked to quit. What I kinda worry about though is him retiring. He looked as tired and frustrated last night as I have seen him.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
By records only, but he’s not the overall best QB we‘ve ever had. He‘s. good for this crap system that’s it. Doesn’t read defenses very well, no arm strength, can’t or won’t run and makes to many mistake. He does okay in this type system that’s it. Any QB who’s played in Leaches system they suck at the next level or in most cases never make it.

The whole point of Leach's system is it works even with QBs who won't be NFL starters. The vast majority of college teams don't have future NFL starters at QB.

Will may not be better than Dak (our football GOAT), but I'll be happy to discuss who (other than maybe Jackie Parker, who nobody here remembers) else measures up.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I didn't say he was the best QB. I said he was the best PASSER we've ever had. Its not even close. Dak is probably a better passer today, after years of additional training, but he couldn't throw as well as Will in college.

Like it or not, he is playing in Leach's system, and that requires a QB who can make quick decisions and accurate throws. He will be hard to unseat, and I think he can have a decent little career as a backup QB in the NFL.

Everyone seems to forget that Leach will not hesitate to switch QB's if he thinks it will help the offense. He's no Steve Spurrier in that regard, but he will make a switch at any time. My guess is the backups just aren't ready, and Will is generally good enough.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
Leech got lucky that kick off hit the Auburn player and their FG kicker missed that FG . This far in the season and all the turnovers , punter dropping the ball , short punts against a weak Auburn team, not much offense in the second half . We were lucky to get a W . IF we get another win we might get another little bitty Bowl- Hooray. Year three under Leech we should be better. Georgia will probably drill us and even OM - that will be 3 Egg Bowl losses in a row . Enough of the Leech experiment if we don't finish much better this year .

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Their team as a whole is weak, but their talent is not. Typical Auburn talent is still on the roster, especially on their defensive front 7. They were 11th in the FPI preseason for that reason. They have a lot more talent than us.

That being said, we didn’t play up to our potential against a program in disarray, and it nearly cost us. We have a lot to improve on for sure.
That talent and the fact that Caddy had them fired up was what caused our 2H issues. They were playing inspired. We weren’t. This is what’s going to happen Thanksgiving sadly. They’ll played inspired and we’ll play emotionless and as on fire as a wet blanket on the Titanic at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Leech got lucky that kick off hit the Auburn player and their FG kicker missed that FG . This far in the season and all the turnovers , punter dropping the ball , short punts against a weak Auburn team, not much offense in the second half . We were lucky to get a W . IF we get another win we might get another little bitty Bowl- Hooray. Year three under Leech we should be better. Georgia will probably drill us and even OM - that will be 3 Egg Bowl losses in a row . Enough of the Leech experiment if we don't finish much better this year .
So, beat either UGA or UMiss or Leach should be fired? Seems harsh. I never wanted Leach, but now that we have him he deserves a fair chance. Covid year plus 2 full seasons is not enough.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login