If our QB was a threat to run

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
This offense would open up so more. Last goal line offensive possession before half is example. Will no threat to run, hands off, then stands and watches. I’m ready to see Texas

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This offense would open up so more. Last goal line offensive possession before half is example. Will no threat to run, hands off, then stands and watches. I’m ready to see Texas
You will get to see Robertson probably about 2nd Qtr of the BAMA game

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
While in theory, I agree, the QB in Leach's system has to concentrate so much on quick reads and distributing the ball that I don't ever see a QB under Leach developing into a scrambling threat

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012

The offense would be unstoppable with a qb with escapability speed.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
While in theory, I agree, the QB in Leach's system has to concentrate so much on quick reads and distributing the ball that I don't ever see a QB under Leach developing into a scrambling threat

IDK, Rogers finds himself hanging out in the pocket too long quite often. He knows he can’t gash them on the ground. A good runner may take those opportunities and break the defense and game open.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Here is an excellent film study on what happens when you plug a mobile QB

into the Air Raid.

Willowdawg

Dec 25, 2020
Well you also have to assume the guy that can run can at least pass as good as Will.

ETA:. I see your point though, but at this point I'm ok with Will. It is what it is. I guarantee you he is the best option, he wouldn't be in there.

Last edited:

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
The stud from Nashville will bring that to the table and of course the rb from Texas that runs a 4.3. We haven’t had a runner like him in a Long long time.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

This is the actual truth. In this system if the QB has to scramble then the system has failed on that play. It is what it is. I don't like it, obviously some do. We will see.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
If we had a qb who was a threat to run it eould be a completely different guy and a completely different offense. Be happy with what we have. Something different won't be the same. Fitz was a threat to run

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Just getting a “mobile QB” doesn’t make this offense run like Johnny Manziel. You have to find a mobile QB who can also throw to the ability needed. Those guys don’t come around that often.

It’s a faulty concept that unfortunately too many of our fans have adopted.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Boy if we could get Aaron Rodgers for a QB and Bo Jackson for a RB and Tony Boselli and Anthony Munoz and Mike Webster for the Oline and Jerry Rice and Randy Moss for receivers and Gronk at TE, then Mean Joe Green, Bruce Smith, Reggie White and Aaron Donald on the Dline with Laurence Taylor and Ray Lewis and Dick Butkus as LBs then Darelle Revis and Prime Time on the corners and Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott at safety, Boy would we be good then.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Now for serious. MSU has fielded a Football team since 1895 and you are watching the Best passer to ever put on an MSU uniform. We have a guy that completes 75+% of his passes. The 25% missed are throw aways and drops. He only throws interceptions that bounce off receivers hands. In my 43 years of watching MSU Football this is the first QB that doesn't make me have my heart in my throat when he goes back to pass. I actually expect good things to happen when Will Rogers is in the pocket. You make your statement like big mobile accurate QBs who can make split second decisions are a dime a dozen. There are 20 teams in the NFL looking for a QB.

Enjoy what we have.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
We don’t need a QB that’s a threat to run. We just need one that can move in the pocket.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Now for serious. MSU has fielded a Football team since 1895 and you are watching the Best passer to ever put on an MSU uniform. We have a guy that completes 75+% of his passes. The 25% missed are throw aways and drops. He only throws interceptions that bounce off receivers hands. In my 43 years of watching MSU Football this is the first QB that doesn't make me have my heart in my throat when he goes back to pass. I actually expect good things to happen when Will Rogers is in the pocket. You make your statement like big mobile accurate QBs who can make split second decisions are a dime a dozen. There are 20 teams in the NFL looking for a QB.

Enjoy what we have.

Why are my eyes wet??

(Well said)

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Our time of possession will win more games for us than a mobile QB with a quick strike offense. Against Arizona is was 36:57 vs. 23:03. A ball control offense with a good defense is going to keep us in the Top 25.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
MSU has fielded a Football team since 1895 and you are watching the Best passer to ever put on an MSU uniform.

Pass Completion Percentage Career Leaders and Records

Minimum 875 pass attempts.
An asterisk (*) after a player's name indicates bowl stats are included.
Leaders Since 1956

1Will Rogers*72.820202022Mississippi State
2Colt Brennan*70.420052007Hawaii
3Colt McCoy*70.320062009Texas
4Kellen Moore*69.820082011Boise State
5Graham Harrell*69.820052008Texas Tech
6Brandon Weeden*69.520082011Oklahoma State
7Case Keenum*69.420072011Houston
8Chase Holbrook69.320062008New Mexico State
9Seth Doege*6920092012Texas Tech
10Joe Burrow*68.820152019LSU
11Brandon Doughty*68.620112015Western Kentucky
12Baker Mayfield*68.520132017Oklahoma
13Teddy Bridgewater*68.420112013Louisville
14Luke Falk*68.320142017Washington State
15Bruce Gradkowski*68.220022005Toled

<tbody>
</tbody>

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Enjoy what we have.

Bruce, you're old enough to remember Todd Jordan, he had an NFL arm, with the proper coaching, I wonder how he would have done in this offense?

I love Will, he is a system QB, like Danny Wuerffel and many others who set collegiate records. Being a system QB is not a bad thing or a slight, just means he has the talent for the system.

I do think Will can still improve, but i do like the back shoulder throws he and the WRs obviously worked on in the off season.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I'm old enough to remember Dave Marler who threw very well. Kevin Fant if he didn't have to run for his life on every snap I thought could have been a very good passer.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
into the Air Raid.

Manziel had generational receiver talent to clean up his messes. He wasn’t out there threading needles and making reads. He ran it in situations where he should have passed and in many cases just flung it up and hoped Evans came down with it. He couldn’t run Leach’s offense.

I’m not saying Manziel was a bad player. He just wouldn’t be a fit for this offense.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Manziel had generational receiver talent to clean up his messes. He wasn’t out there threading needles and making reads. He ran it in situations where he should have passed and in many cases just flung it up and hoped Evans came down with it. He couldn’t run Leach’s offense.

I’m not saying Manziel was a bad player. He just wouldn’t be a fit for this offense.
Don’t be a dumbass.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm old enough to remember Dave Marler who threw very well. Kevin Fant if he didn't have to run for his life on every snap I thought could have been a very good passer.

Those are names I remember well. I would have liked to Omar Conner used better than he was. I think he would have been good in Mullen's system. I can't remember anyone else who would have been good with Air Raid.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Dave Marler was a stud with Mardee McDole and Brek Tyler. And he could kick too. He got hurt in warm ups against Alabama and btw then and kickoff they went into the dressing room and put together the offense using nothing but the shotgun. Bob Tyler could coach and that team was loaded. I have no doubt we would have won that game if Marler didn’t get hurt before the game.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Time to tell the story where I might have killed Dave Marler around Halloween 1978. My girlfriend at the time stayed in one of the two buildings on the south side of University Drive that is just over the bridge from campus (Behind the Comfort Suites now). Not sure if they are still rooming quarters. I think 3 or 4 girls would share the large multi bedroom suite. Dave was dating one of my girl's roomies and we often went out together since the girls were good friends. I was over at about 1 AM in my girl's bedroom when we heard the main door open and we knew all the girls were in the suite. So I walk out with a bat in the dark room. I guess Dave thought it would be funny to have on an old man mask and scare his girlfriend. So I am easing out into the room towards the kitchen and he comes out from behind the fridge and all i see is a dimly lit silhouette of this old ugly dude and am truly scared. I yell and go towards him with the bat and he busts out laughing and saying I'm Dave, I'm Dave and pulls off the mask.

After my heart slowed I told him he was lucky there wasn't a gun in the apartment and I was 10 feet from him with a bat.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If a qb “scrambles” on any play, the system/design for that play failed. That’s for any coach or system.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
Pass Completion Percentage Career Leaders and Records

Minimum 875 pass attempts.
An asterisk (*) after a player's name indicates bowl stats are included.
Leaders Since 1956

1Will Rogers*72.820202022Mississippi State
2Colt Brennan*70.420052007Hawaii
3Colt McCoy*70.320062009Texas
4Kellen Moore*69.820082011Boise State
5Graham Harrell*69.820052008Texas Tech
6Brandon Weeden*69.520082011Oklahoma State
7Case Keenum*69.420072011Houston
8Chase Holbrook69.320062008New Mexico State
9Seth Doege*6920092012Texas Tech
10Joe Burrow*68.820152019LSU
11Brandon Doughty*68.620112015Western Kentucky
12Baker Mayfield*68.520132017Oklahoma
13Teddy Bridgewater*68.420112013Louisville
14Luke Falk*68.320142017Washington State
15Bruce Gradkowski*68.220022005Toled

<tbody>
</tbody>

4 of those 15 were under Leach

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Kevin Fant outplayed Manning his first year as a starter. His last two he spent looking up at the sky on most plays. Fant would have been an NFL player if we had an OL to support him.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I prefer having one that gets rid of the ball quickly like Will. I prefer him tossing the ball to a RB when the pocket collapses. I don't want to see him hurt.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Time to tell the story where I might have killed Dave Marler around Halloween 1978. My girlfriend at the time stayed in one of the two buildings on the south side of University Drive that is just over the bridge from campus (Behind the Comfort Suites now). Not sure if they are still rooming quarters. I think 3 or 4 girls would share the large multi bedroom suite. Dave was dating one of my girl's roomies and we often went out together since the girls were good friends. I was over at about 1 AM in my girl's bedroom when we heard the main door open and we knew all the girls were in the suite. So I walk out with a bat in the dark room. I guess Dave thought it would be funny to have on an old man mask and scare his girlfriend. So I am easing out into the room towards the kitchen and he comes out from behind the fridge and all i see is a dimly lit silhouette of this old ugly dude and am truly scared. I yell and go towards him with the bat and he busts out laughing and saying I'm Dave, I'm Dave and pulls off the mask.

After my heart slowed I told him he was lucky there wasn't a gun in the apartment and I was 10 feet from him with a bat.

Bruce did you have any mob "training" back in NY? You need a wikipedia page, BTW.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Wise choice on the copy and pasted "silhouette." That has to be one of the top 5 hardest words to spell in the English language and I never get it right without looking it up.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
If a dog quacked, it would be a duck.

This pretty much nails it. If we had QB that could run we would not be coached by Mike Leach. He ain't going to sign that kind of QB. That does not fit his so called "system." This is what those that wanted Leach signed up for.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Kevin Fant outplayed Manning his first year as a starter. His last two he spent looking up at the sky on most plays. Fant would have been an NFL player if we had an OL to support him.

No, if you are good enough the NFL will find you, no matter where you are or what kind of team you are on. Just like the NBA or MLB. That's just silly.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
No, if you are good enough the NFL will find you, no matter where you are or what kind of team you are on. Just like the NBA or MLB. That's just silly.

I disagree with your take rebuttal. Read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell to encourage a more broader discussion here

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
This pretty much nails it. If we had QB that could run we would not be coached by Mike Leach. He ain't going to sign that kind of QB. That does not fit his so called "system." This is what those that wanted Leach signed up for.

We have qb’s on the roster that can run and are a whole lot more of a threat to do so than Rodgers

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login