If Rogers stinks it up in Bowl Game does CZA go hard after a potential starter at QB?

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Rogers really had some UGLY SEC games this year. If he stinks it up in the bowl game do you think CZA goes hard in the portal for a potential starting QB?
I think with a new OC, there is more potential for someone else to step up in Spring training to take the spot. The theory being the O will be an adjusted version so everyone has something to learn. The leg up Rogers has is a lot of game experience (albeit, some were bad experiences).

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
I wonder if simply the offensive staff can convince Rogers to run at times (a good bit more than he currently does) is possible. I mean, Leach and staff may have convinced him not to run and/or he simply is not used to running. Can new coaching change that? I do think he can be serviceable in running to keep the defense honest, but no, he is no Fitz/Dak.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know you guys won't believe this but a new OC and this entire situation could improve Will's play and I doubt his play in this game (good or bad) will affect that. I can see us looking at the portal for a QB with a new OC but in spite of some bad moments and games said QB would have to show a lot of potential to bench someone with 3 years and over 10,000 yds passing with 81 TDs experience. You can blow some of it off as padding stats... but not that much.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hip-Hop Rap GIF

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I wonder if simply the offensive staff can convince Rogers to run at times (a good bit more than he currently does) is possible. I mean, Leach and staff may have convinced him not to run and/or he simply is not used to running. Can new coaching change that? I do think he can be serviceable in running to keep the defense honest, but no, he is no Fitz/Dak.
Rogers isn't built to run. He is small and not very fast and doesn't have quick feet. He is a pocket passer that sometimes can't feel the pocket move

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We just need to balance our offense out by adding a real running game. We can still throw it more times than not, but have a real running game to go with it. Something more than a couple of pee wee level running plays and preparation to run them successfully.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think you can do this next year, and Arnett needs to be careful about it. At this point in time, we don't really need to go away from the offense we've been building (which is a passing attack). Cohen and Moorhead did this in 2018 (trying to take a run-heavy team and throw it all over the yard) and we see how that turned out, it just puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

We've been building this for coming up 4 years. We have a ton of 6th year starters and a 4-year starter at QB. Use him. Groom Locke and Parson to fight it out for the backup spot, and the 2024 starting job. 2024 will be a slight rebuild type year, and at minimum a lot of new faces will be taking over starting positions, even if some of them do happen to be upperclassmen (which is a good position to be in IMO).

This is common sense. And let it be known, you can still run the ball out of a passing offense. We don't need to change the scheme. Especially when Texas A&M 2012 shows you exactly what can happen when you have a dual-threat running that type of offense.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know you guys won't believe this but a new OC and this entire situation could improve Will's play and I doubt his play in this game (good or bad) will affect that. I can see us looking at the portal for a QB with a new OC but in spite of some bad moments and games said QB would have to show a lot of potential to bench someone with 3 years and over 10,000 yds passing with 81 TDs experience. You can blow some of it off as padding stats... but not that much.
No OC is going to come in and promise a starting spot to a potential transfer QB and without doing that, we're not likely to get the type of player that can beat Will out.

It's going to be interesting to see how he progresses this off season and next year. It certainly seemed like he regressed some this year. Was that just the result of him hearing footsteps without Cross protecting him? Just a mental funk? Worse receiver play without Polk?

Going to be a lot of pressure on the new OC to develop a younger QB if Will plays next year like he did this year.

Which feels really weird saying while looking at stats that say he has a 68% completion rate, 34 TDs and 6 INT, and 309 yds per game and went 2-3 in the last 5 SEC games when it mostly felt like he was playing really badly. I think the 6 TOs versus Auburn and Ole Miss really made his performance feel so much worse than maybe it actually was. Hard to say how much of the feeling that he had a bad year is unhinged expectations b/c it's hard to judge air raid stats against traditional QB stat lines.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Depending on OC I could see rogers and us parting ways after bowl game anyway. If he doesn't like OC he may leave on his on. Just a thought. I'm sure rogers is being considered with OC hires though. Even though the future is more important than next year since he has seemed to peak. Need to think about the guys under him.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think at this stage it will be easier to teach Rogers how to hand the ball off more, than it will be to teach a new QB this offense. Hopefully that will open up the defenses for him a little more which should improve his game........hopefully.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is a bowl game against a team with mediocre talent who just lost their DC and has had multiple opt outs on the defensive side of the ball, and obviously we’ve had quite a bit of upheaval ourselves on the offensive side. I don’t see how you can take anything good or bad from this game as far as Will is concerned. The sample size is plenty big enough already to make that decision one way or the other.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
When Will fumbled on the 2 (or 3)-yard line at Ole Miss and almost gave the game away (trying to be a hero) is the best example - and should considered the gold standard - as to why nobody should ever try to make him a dual threat QB. As has been so accurately stated, he is small, does not have quick feet, is basically slow afoot, and cannot hang on to the ball. He is a statue of a pocket passer and doesn't have the pocket awareness to move forward when the protection is going around him. Instead, he goes backwards and usually takes either a huge loss, or is stripped of the ball. Sure, he's a fine young man - absolutely no doubt about that - but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or, there is the analogy about chicken salad and chicken s***. . . . . .

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We have plenty of talent in the QB room. A month ago you guys were worried that if we didn't hurry up and start Sawyer he was gonna transfer. Take a deep breath

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
true, but how many throws SHOULD have been intercepted? Seemed like a lot of those this season.

Um...that isn't a tracked stat so I will say 0. 0 throws should have been intercepted and weren't.
The same number that were intercepted should have been intercepted.
I get what you are trying for, but it's a bad point. If we are going to claim passes should have been intercepted, then go ahead and track passes that were intercepted and shouldn't have been.
Best of luck tallying that up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You left off his -172 yards rushing........
I did not leave that off.
College stats track sacks as negative rushing yards. NFL doesn't.
Those aren't all negative rushing yards- if he is sacked trying to pass, then he obviously isn't rushing the ball, yet it counts as negative rushing yards.

If he were a running qb, his rushing yards would be worth discussing. But he isn't, so they aren't.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Um...that isn't a tracked stat so I will say 0. 0 throws should have been intercepted and weren't.
The same number that were intercepted should have been intercepted.
I get what you are trying for, but it's a bad point. If we are going to claim passes should have been intercepted, then go ahead and track passes that were intercepted and shouldn't have been.
Best of luck tallying that up.
My point is he made several bad throws that hit DBs right in the bread basket and they dropped it. 3-4 of them. Really poor throws.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I did not leave that off.
College stats track sacks as negative rushing yards. NFL doesn't.
Those aren't all negative rushing yards- if he is sacked trying to pass, then he obviously isn't rushing the ball, yet it counts as negative rushing yards.

If he were a running qb, his rushing yards would be worth discussing. But he isn't, so they aren't.
You're missing the point. Point is he can't move, AT ALL. Probably the least athletic QB in the league.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You're missing the point. Point is he can't move, AT ALL. Probably the least athletic QB in the league.
I am not missing the point. It's a bad point so I am excluding it.
He isn't a running qb so listing his 'rushing' yards is really worthless. That's in quotes because qb rushing stats in college is a wonky measurement, as already discussed.

Dak's senior season stats...
66.2% complete
3793 yards passing
588 yards rushing
29td to 5int

Dak's junior season stats...
61.6% complete
3439 yards passing
986 yards rushing
27td to 11int

Keep in mind That Roger's has 1 more game to add to these stats. He currently has more passing yards that Dak as a senior, a better td/int ratio than either season, more td throws, and a better completion percentage.
That's compared to the best MSU QB is...well let's go with decades.

When you combine yards rushing and passing, Rogers will likely come up 400 or so yards short of Dak's listed seasons. So even though he is immobile, and even though CFB tracks rushing yards in a dumb way for qbs, Rogers will likely end with just 400 or so fewer total yards on the season compared to the best.

Gather the pitchforks!***

Last edited:

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Rodgers stats this season so far-
- 68.2% completed
- 34 TD to 6 INT
- QBR 141.0
- 3713 yards
- 5 fumbles lost

Just thought some stats would help keep people on track and limit the extreme and ignorant from posting.
I will add just a couple more stats off the top of my head....

8-4 (only thing that matters)
Of those 68.2% completed passes, a s**t ton of them were tosses behind the line and not many of them were passes down the field.

Yard per attempt may be less than any other QB in the conference.

We did not even compete for the West.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
When Will fumbled on the 2 (or 3)-yard line at Ole Miss and almost gave the game away (trying to be a hero) is the best example - and should considered the gold standard - as to why nobody should ever try to make him a dual threat QB. As has been so accurately stated, he is small, does not have quick feet, is basically slow afoot, and cannot hang on to the ball. He is a statue of a pocket passer and doesn't have the pocket awareness to move forward when the protection is going around him. Instead, he goes backwards and usually takes either a huge loss, or is stripped of the ball. Sure, he's a fine young man - absolutely no doubt about that - but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or, there is the analogy about chicken salad and chicken s***. . . . . .

I think your perception is being overly influenced by the last few games, particularly the egg bowl. Maybe I somehow was oblivious earlier in the season, but I thought Will did things in the Egg Bowl that he had typically not done before. There were several times that the tackles did their job and forced the edge rusher way deep, but Will kept running back so they could get to him. I don't remember him just running backwards rather than stepping up into an available pocket prior to the egg bowl. Not saying it never happened, but he never did it consistently enough for me to ***** about it. And the few times that the line actually failed, him running backwards and adding 5 yards to the loss rather than just taking the sack immediately? That's something I feel like you never see an experienced quarterback do. I'm not sure if Will was hurt or concussed or just in a mental funk, but his performance in the egg bowl and against Auburn are way below what he is capable of.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login