If Rogers stinks it up in Bowl Game does CZA go hard after a potential starter at QB?

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
I think at this stage it will be easier to teach Rogers how to hand the ball off more, than it will be to teach a new QB this offense. Hopefully that will open up the defenses for him a little more which should improve his game........hopefully.
You know the offense will be different right? It will still be Air Raid if i had to guess, but Rogers will not have the same autonomy he had before. The way Leach ran this offense isn’t like anyone else including the folks the in his coaching tree.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You know the offense will be different right? It will still be Air Raid if i had to guess, but Rogers will not have the same autonomy he had before. The way Leach ran this offense isn’t like anyone else including the folks the in his coaching tree.
No, I don't know the offense will be different or how different because we don't have a clue who the OC will be or what he will do. I certainly hope its different but we don't know

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I will add just a couple more stats off the top of my head....

8-4 (only thing that matters)
Of those 68.2% completed passes, a s**t ton of them were tosses behind the line and not many of them were passes down the field.

Yard per attempt may be less than any other QB in the conference.

We did not even compete for the West.

When did 8-4 and finishing 22nd in the CFP rankings become something to use as ammunition to try and prove a QB is bad? Thats detached from reality.
Rogers is at 6.6 yards per passing attempt. That doesnt come close to leading the nation, and it also isnt bad when you consider he is 11th in the country in completion %. Its simply a style of play- more completions overall, but for slightly less yards.
You(and others) just sound bitter because the way he plays and the way the offense has run isnt how you want to see it run. So you find a couple small things to cry about and hyperfocus on those while ignoring the glaring reality right in front of you. "He doesnt throw it deep enough!" "He doesnt run the ball enough!"

More fun stats. Rogers is...
- 8th in the country in passing yards.
- 7th in the country in passing TDs.
- 6th in the country in passing yards per game.
- 1st in the country in completions per game.
- 11th in the country in completion percentage.

Even more fun stats...
- Tom Brady had -150 total yards rushing in college.
- Peyton Manning had -181 total yards rushing in college.
Based on these stats, since Rogers has -310 total yards rushing, it is easy to see he is destined to become one of the best NFL QBs of all time.**

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
When did 8-4 and finishing 22nd in the CFP rankings become something to use as ammunition to try and prove a QB is bad? Thats detached from reality.
Rogers is at 6.6 yards per passing attempt. That doesnt come close to leading the nation, and it also isnt bad when you consider he is 11th in the country in completion %. Its simply a style of play- more completions overall, but for slightly less yards.
You(and others) just sound bitter because the way he plays and the way the offense has run isnt how you want to see it run. So you find a couple small things to cry about and hyperfocus on those while ignoring the glaring reality right in front of you. "He doesnt throw it deep enough!" "He doesnt run the ball enough!"

More fun stats. Rogers is...
- 8th in the country in passing yards.
- 7th in the country in passing TDs.
- 6th in the country in passing yards per game.
- 1st in the country in completions per game.
- 11th in the country in completion percentage.

Even more fun stats...
- Tom Brady had -150 total yards rushing in college.
- Peyton Manning had -181 total yards rushing in college.
Based on these stats, since Rogers has -310 total yards rushing, it is easy to see he is destined to become one of the best NFL QBs of all time.**
Too bad none of that helped him perform against LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama,, Auburn, and Ole Miss.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I have a hard time thinking Sawyer is as bad as he looked in VERY limited action. I hate the hell outta Will being such a liability with his feet and unable to hang on to the ball and deal with a collapsed pocket. Will at QB gives us sure losses against above avg Defenses because it's like "We're playing with 9" but at this juncture, going for a portal QB would be a horrible look and a locker room nightmare. Gonna have to go with what we got.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's an elite TD to int ratio. Without looking Ima say that leads the nation.
Using the stats on ESPN.com, it looks like that's 4th in the SEC and tied for 11th in the nation and if you don't apply minimum attempts, completions, or touchdowns. If you want to apply a minimum on it, you can do the subtraction. ESPN says they update nightly, so this would include bowl stats for some of these guys.

NAMEPOSCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGLNGTDINTTD/INT RatioTD/INT PCT
Hendon Hooker TENNQB
229​
329​
69.6​
3,135​
9.5​
78​
27​
2​
27:2
14​
Grayson McCall CCUQB
207​
297​
69.7​
2,700​
9.1​
75​
24​
2​
24:2
12​
Caleb Williams USCQB
296​
448​
66.1​
4,075​
9.1​
75​
37​
4​
37:4
9​
Conner Weigman TA&MQB
73​
132​
55.3​
896​
6.8​
45​
8​
0​
8:0
8​
Max Duggan TCUQB
239​
368​
64.9​
3,321​
9​
80​
30​
4​
30:4
8​
Will Howard KSUQB
101​
164​
61.6​
1,423​
8.7​
80​
15​
2​
15:2
8​
MJ Morris NCSTQB
52​
86​
60.5​
648​
7.5​
44​
7​
1​
7:1
7​
Joe Milton III TENNQB
34​
54​
63​
720​
13.3​
64​
7​
0​
7:0
7​
Jake Haener FRESQB
252​
350​
72​
2,896​
8.3​
65​
20​
3​
20:3
7​
J.J. McCarthy MICHQB
188​
288​
65.3​
2,376​
8.3​
75​
20​
3​
20:3
7​
Kurtis Rourke OHIOQB
244​
353​
69.1​
3,256​
9.2​
75​
25​
4​
25:4
6​
C.J. Stroud OSUQB
235​
355​
66.2​
3,340​
9.4​
79​
37​
6​
37:6
6​
Adrian Martinez KSUQB
118​
184​
64.1​
1,261​
6.9​
81​
6​
1​
6:1
6​
Hudson Card TEXQB
75​
108​
69.4​
928​
8.6​
45​
6​
1​
6​
Mikey Keene UCFQB
60​
83​
72.3​
647​
7.8​
45​
6​
1​
6​
Will Rogers MSSTQB
386​
566​
68.2​
3,713​
6.6​
75​
34​
6​
34:6
6​
Holton Ahlers ECUQB
315​
469​
67.2​
3,708​
7.9​
74​
28​
5​
28:5
6​
Jordan Travis FSUQB
199​
315​
63.2​
2,796​
8.9​
78​
22​
4​
22:4
6​

ETA: My spreadsheet wasn't handling the folks with 0 in TD or INT correctly for the PCT calculation, so I made it divisible by 1 to keep it simple. All it added was Conner Weigman from Texas A&M and Joe Milton III from Tennessee, both of which I would categorize under 'not enough attempts"

Last edited:

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
I am not missing the point. It's a bad point so I am excluding it.
He isn't a running qb so listing his 'rushing' yards is really worthless. That's in quotes because qb rushing stats in college is a wonky measurement, as already discussed.

Dak's senior season stats...
66.2% complete
3793 yards passing
588 yards rushing
29td to 5int

Dak's junior season stats...
61.6% complete
3439 yards passing
986 yards rushing
27td to 11int

Keep in mind That Roger's has 1 more game to add to these stats. He currently has more passing yards that Dak as a senior, a better td/int ratio than either season, more td throws, and a better completion percentage.
That's compared to the best MSU QB is...well let's go with decades.

When you combine yards rushing and passing, Rogers will likely come up 400 or so yards short of Dak's listed seasons. So even though he is immobile, and even though CFB tracks rushing yards in a dumb way for qbs, Rogers will likely end with just 400 or so fewer total yards on the season compared to the best.

Gather the pitchforks!***
You can print all the stats that you want but comparing Dak to Will isn’t valid. They played in two entirely different offenses. Of course Will has more passing yards or will end up with more total yards especially when you throw the ball 50+ times a game. It’s not even a contest Dak by far was and obviously is the better QB no matter how many stats you list.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You can print all the stats that you want but comparing Dak to Will isn’t valid. They played in two entirely different offenses. Of course Will has more passing yards or will end up with more total yards especially when you throw the ball 50+ times a game. It’s not even a contest Dak by far was and obviously is the better QB no matter how many stats you list.

Oh, I am not seriously comparing Dak and Will. I am not, in any way, suggesting Will is better either.
And you are correct- the offences for each QB is different, and therefore different stats/results will show. Everyone who is citing Will's lack of downfield stats should keep that in mind. Everyone who is citing Will's lack of running should keep that in mind. They play in different offenses and are different players.

The problem with stats though is that if you are going to claim something is an issue and use numbers, then you need to be willing to discuss numbers that run contrary to your narrative.

This all started because it was claimed Rogers cant hold onto the ball(opinion based on stat) and cant run, so I provided stats for clarification- he has lost the ball only a few times and his passing numbers more than make up for his lack of running. He isnt a dual threat QB, and a dual threat QB isnt Rogers.

This is why I then used Dak as an example- he is an elite QB and MSU alum who did run a lot. Rogers has better numbers than Dak in many categories(and should, since he throws more).

You miss the point on why Dak was brought up. Rogers is an effective QB and shouldnt be replaced just because he may not play well in a bowl game. His season stats should solidify him as the starter going into spring.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Will is probably the second best quarterback (throwing the ball) we’ve ever had and some of y’all trash him like he’s Michael Henig. I don’t understand it except some of y’all hate the Air Raid because it’s not football like daddy played it where you line up and smash into each other and run it up the middle like manly men should do. So y’all take it out on our QB running the offense. What QB we’ve ever had has consistently beat Alabama or Georgia? Btw, Dak never beat Ole Miss as a starting quarterback.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
One thing to remember is that Dak wasn't a full time starter until his 4th year on campus.

Rogers has yet to play his 4th year on campus.

I'm not saying Rogers is better than Dak. It would be crazy to do so at this point, I mean Dak is a bonafide NFL guy. But I'm just pointing out facts here. Dak did a lot of stupid crap too in his 3rd year on campus (2013, he was a RSo.), left WRs running wide open routinely. So it's valid to wait and see what Rogers can do next season. If he learns some pocket presence, he could be very good.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Will is probably the second best quarterback (throwing the ball) we’ve ever had and some of y’all trash him like he’s Michael Henig. I don’t understand it except some of y’all hate the Air Raid because it’s not football like daddy played it where you line up and smash into each other and run it up the middle like manly men should do. So y’all take it out on our QB running the offense. What QB we’ve ever had has consistently beat Alabama or Georgia? Btw, Dak never beat Ole Miss as a starting quarterback.
Yeah I definitely think Will is a below average QB because of him not being in a smash mouth offense?

What type of logic do you use? That’s a completely ignorant statement.

Will is a below average QB because when push comes to shove, if the game is against a team with a top 70 defense, 99% of the time Will folds.

It’s easy to look good agains the sisters of the poor. Good QB’s win and play well against the same or better competition. Will has maybe one or 2 games where he’s played good against a top 70 defense in the last few years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login