If the SEC goes to a nine game schedule in 2026...

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Mississippi State's three permanent opponents (in the preferred 3 permanent/6 rotating format) going forward are already on the 2024/2025 schedule, according to this Athletic article:

But the eight-game 2024 schedule is believed to keep each team’s three probable annual rivals if the SEC goes to nine. The SEC has never publicly confirmed what those three annual rivals would be, but sources at different schools have said their three probables were on their 2024 schedules. In Georgia’s case, for instance, that was Florida, Auburn and Kentucky.

If true, State's permanents will be a combination Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Missouri, or Texas A&M plus Ole Miss. That means it's likely to be Arkansas/A&M/OM as permanent opponents starting 2026. And the days of playing LSU/Auburn/Bama every year are over for now (until the next round of realignment, at least). Ole Miss will probably get LSU/Ark/State. Arkansas will probably get State/OM/Mizzou. LSU gets OM/A&M/Bama. Bama gets LSU/Aub/Tenn. Auburn gets Bama/UGa/Vandy and so forth and so on.

It appears the SEC just flip-flopped the 2024 schedule for 2025 to keep those rivalries uninterrupted.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mississippi State's three permanent opponents (in the preferred 3 permanent/6 rotating format) going forward are already on the 2024/2025 schedule, according to this Athletic article:

If true, State's permanents will be a combination Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Missouri, or Texas A&M plus Ole Miss. That means it's likely to be Arkansas/A&M/OM as permanent opponents starting 2026. And the days of playing LSU/Auburn/Bama every year are over for now (until the next round of realignment, at least). Ole Miss will probably get LSU/Ark/State. Arkansas will probably get State/OM/Mizzou. LSU gets OM/A&M/Bama. Bama gets LSU/Aub/Tenn. Auburn gets Bama/UGa/Vandy and so forth and so on.

It appears the SEC just flip-flopped the 2024 schedule for 2025 to keep those rivalries uninterrupted.
Man, if Arkansas gets State, OM, and Mizzou, I wonder if that's enough to turn their football team around. Granted they still have to win those games for it to matter, but avoiding any of the blue bloods has to be a big boost compared to MSU having A&M and Ole Miss having LSU. That's got to be something like a 1/2 game boost to their average wins each year compared to state and Ole Miss.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The SEC is making a mistake if it goes to a 3/6 model & does not make Arkansas - Texas permanent.
Agreed. I have to think either Texas or Texas A&M will be in the Arkansas pool. Something they could point to as a nod to the Southwest Conference.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Man, if Arkansas gets State, OM, and Mizzou, I wonder if that's enough to turn their football team around. Granted they still have to win those games for it to matter, but avoiding any of the blue bloods has to be a big boost compared to MSU having A&M and Ole Miss having LSU. That's got to be something like a 1/2 game boost to their average wins each year compared to state and Ole Miss.
No way Arkansas doesn't get either Texas or Texas A&M.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
That's the most likely outcome. I'd take that.
Not according to the Athletic article. Everyone’s permanent opponents are on the ‘24-‘25 schedule. No Kentucky and Arkansas is the only team that fits the profile for State. Personally I’d rather play the Hogs every year. They’re the 2nd worst team in the SEC since the 2012 expansion.

Reactions: L4Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login