If Vic Schaefer wanted to return...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me

I honestly don't want to spend that much on a women's basketball coach. We loved Schaefer b/c it was our first legit shot at a national championship. That desire is now gone. I wouldn't mind winning it in women's basketball but the allure is gone.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yes, and I’m being consistent since I was in favor of Polk II: Electric Boogaloo…

RightOfCenter

Dec 5, 2015
Want may be the key word. I sometimes would want my exes when single but there was always THE reason why we split.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nope. The second time around is almost always a disappointment. And he’s flirting with a scandal on his staff.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Oh god, yes.

I thought the body of your post was going to read: ”would you hire him for the men”.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
This is an extremely obvious yes, but also an extremely unlikely thing to happen.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don’t want to spend $2 million plus on a womens basketball coach that left Mississippi State already.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The money is no object to anyone in our league any more. Total non-issue. The biggest drawback to bringing him back is that it would take - best case - a few years for him to get things back rolling again like he had it. And it may never happen again like it did. We got very far for 2 years on that Vivians / McCowan combo, and its hard to catch lightning in a bottle like that twice. Before we know it, he could be 64 or 65 and still battling to get us into that Top 20 tier again.

That said, if he wanted to come back, it would be tough to go another direction. Would have to be a really strong commitment from him, though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t want to spend $2 million plus on a womens basketball coach that left Mississippi State already.

I don’t want to spend $2M on a women’s basketball coach regardless of whether he’s left before. If we wanted to povide progresive bonuses for getting to the final four, championship, and winning, and those bonuses got him or her over $2M, that’d be fine to me.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
It’s a sport that is a money suck and it does not interest me. Hire Morgan Dillingham for 125k and call it a day.

Option 2 would be to hire the blonde grad assistant/assistant coach that was wearing the tight leather pants on the bench Sunday.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Women’s basketball is a drain on our athletic department, even if they go undefeated and win the whole thing. It doesn’t matter whether they are successful or not, the sport still makes no money. As far as Vic goes-17 that 17’er. He’s a low-life, floor-flushing snake and the only thing he deserves is a punch in the face. 17 that guy.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Women’s basketball is a drain on our athletic department, even if they go undefeated and win the whole thing. It doesn’t matter whether they are successful or not, the sport still makes no money. As far as Vic goes-17 that 17’er. He’s a low-life, floor-flushing snake and the only thing he deserves is a punch in the face. 17 that guy.

What sport besides football isnt a drain on our Athletic Department? Football pays for EVERYTHING.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I don't understand, and probably never will, our fan bases insatiable desire to try and resurrect dead bones. We did it with Polk, we have people wanting Stans back to replace Howland and now this. Move on because they sure as hell did.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The money is no object to anyone in our league any more. Total non-issue. The biggest drawback to bringing him back is that it would take - best case - a few years for him to get things back rolling again like he had it. And it may never happen again like it did. We got very far for 2 years on that Vivians / McCowan combo, and its hard to catch lightning in a bottle like that twice. Before we know it, he could be 64 or 65 and still battling to get us into that Top 20 tier again.

That said, if he wanted to come back, it would be tough to go another direction. Would have to be a really strong commitment from him, though.
If money was no object - we would pay our assistants more in football.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

You must just be a fatalistic guy overall. You are treating this like you do NIL. How the hell is money no object?

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I’d hire him back, no question. I’d probably hire Mullen back too if that was an option.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
That’s kind of my point. Men’s basketball
Shouldn’t be a drain though. Should break even.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No it's not.

State reports baseball revenue and expenses as exactly the same, to the dollar. So that tells you there are stupid accounting tricks at play. We don't make money on baseball.

We lost a half a million dollars just on the post season run last year.

Our overall athletics budget is in the black, but make no mistake, football subsidizes everything.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
State reports baseball revenue and expenses as exactly the same, to the dollar. So that tells you there are stupid accounting tricks at play. We don't make money on baseball.

We lost a half a million dollars just on the post season run last year.

Our overall athletics budget is in the black, but make no mistake, football subsidizes everything.
Probably because they are amortizing the stadium out, or something like that. But year over year, we make money. And if the time hasn't come yet that we've paid off the stadium, it's coming soon.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Probably because they are amortizing the stadium out, or something like that. But year over year, we make money. And if the time hasn't come yet that we've paid off the stadium, it's coming soon.

We don't make money on baseball. I don't know why this is controversial.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Technically the baseball program is a financial drain too.

Both baseball and women's basketball are a drain on paper but provide ancillary benefits that don't show up on the books.

There are a few things that make baseball more worthy of investment than women's basketball.

1) Baseball gets people to starkville in the spring and keeps a lot of those people there for the whole weekend (including students). There's nothing else in the spring that will, whereas we already have men's basketball for the last fall and early spring semesters, if we can have a little success in it. Even when women's basketball is good, I suspect a lot of the crowd is driving in and out on sunday, or at best staying one night.
2) Baseball will continue to bring people and exposure even if we hit rough patches. Women's basketball support will drop off a cliff if we don't get back into the top ten at least. May need to be even higher than that to maintain interest.
3) We can sustain success in baseball. We are in the right geographic location and have the right historical success that barring complete mismanagement, we will remain a good program because we are a good program. There is no reason for us to be good in basketball except Vic made us good. We're going to have to make another top 5 in the sport hire for us to be good enough to maintain a level of success that will keep us good in women's basketball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login