If Vic Schaefer wanted to return...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We don't make money on baseball. I don't know why this is controversial.

Because I think there is enough discretion in GAAP combined with the ability to shift costs/revenue inbewteen the foundation and the athletic department that you can probably color within the lines and still have a lot of control over how much margin you show. Plus there are things like how to allocate SEC TV money across sports. Obviously football is the majority of that and men's basketball next, but I would assume there is a pretty broad range of acceptable ways to allocate that money.

I was told when I was in school by Bracky that baseball almost broke even. That was a while ago and we obviously make more money now and spend more money now, so I can believe we make money or lose money. And I suspect it's close enough either way that we could exercise some discretion in accounting to move it one way or the other if we wanted. If we show it losing money, I don't really have any reason to think we aren't, but I get why some people might think that doesn't show a completely accurate picture.

Maybe somebody that audits a school athletic department and/or foundation can tell me all that's wrong though and there's not enough discretion to meaningfully change the margins shown.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You must just be a fatalistic guy overall. You are treating this like you do NIL. How the hell is money no object?

It’s no object if you are talking about hiring a guaranteed Top 5 coach nationally. Sure, if you want to get literal and say we can’t afford to pay $8 million for a WBB coach no matter how good they are, obviously we can’t do that. But if the question is pay $2-2.5 million for guaranteed Top 10 results in a Top 3-4 sport in terms of national relevance where we have actually proven we can potentially win a NC, vs. paying $1 million for barely making the NCAA tourney or worse every year, it’s an easy decision. Not spending that extra $1-$1.5 million for the guarantee of winning big when we are getting a $50 million + check from the SEC every year would be an LT mentality.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Seems like there was debate whether we should build him a statue if he won a natty at some point. He's coached his teams to 5 consecutive sweet sixteens or better (likely would have been 6 if 2020 wasn't cancelled). How could we say no to him if we wanted to come back?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If money was no object - we would pay our assistants more in football.

What assistants do we have that should be making more than they are? I feel our assistants are being paid appropriately. You can argue that we should up the pay overall for assistants to prevent unwanted attrition, but I don’t think that’s really ever going to be money well spent because the big boys are going to keep outbidding us for any position coaches anyway. The model we have where Leach self promotes within the Air Raid tree is going to not really ever require us to go overboard on offensive assistants pay for as long as Leach is here. Focus our resources on the defensive side of the ball and keeping us competitive there will keep us where we are at.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
dickiedawg said:
I’d hire him back, no question. I’d probably hire Mullen back too if that was an option.
Good-NESS! What is wrong with you people???

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Why waste time on hypothetical situations that will never happen?

patdog

May 28, 2007
He didn't say we'd necessarily be paying THESE assistants more money. In some cases, we'd be paying much better assistants more money. I can promise you, other schools in the SEC have better assistant coaches than we do because they pay them more. And that's been the case going back to the Mullen era. Really, a lot longer than that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login