If Virginia wins it all

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No because we were the same against all the good SEC teams we played too. A&M, Arkansas, UT, etc. Competitive, but not quite good enough. Virginia is a very good team but we were what we were. Somewhere in the Top 15-25 teams out there, but nothing more.
Pretty much my feelings. I can’t say I think this team underachieved or overachieved. Some nice parts for sure but some big holes on the team too.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Maybe a little, but not much. Ultimately, this team was 1 arm and 1 bat away from being great. Just a lights-out Closer probably puts you in the National Seed discussion.

UVA's offense is legit. They beat Lo who is a heck of a college pitcher. They would have eaten us alive on Monday.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
No. We had a good season. Especially in light of where we were the previous two years.

At this point just about any of the teams (not Evansville) left could conceivably get hot and win it. It doesn't reflect on our season.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If a tree falls in the forest and I ain't watching, who gives a dayumn. So, no.

Things actually fell pretty well for us considering. Good pitching, better than average bullpen, and better than average - but inconsistent - hitting.

As far as the post season goes, we needed that first game against UVA and we came up short. That sucked.

We had a good season with some fun games and good series wins -- a helluva a lot more fun than the previous two years.

We had few "that's baseball" headscratchers as well.

Still not convinced that Lem is 'all that' as a coach, but I'll be watching and rooting for the team again next year.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Will it change your opinion of our season?
I doubt they go far in Omaha but it does show that they have a team full of batters.

They will face some great pitching and very good hitting teams. It's a crap shoot to guess

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Virginia is better than us (or at least more consistent which amounts to the same thing) but I don't think they have a great shot to win the CWS. But they took care of business and have a golden opportunity to end the season on a high note. I wish our bats hadn't been so bad all season because we'd be in their place now.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No. Arizona getting to the championship series in 2016 didn't make me feel any better about losing to them at home.

Reactions: patdog and onewoof

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
No. Not for the better. We pissed away chances in both games (either directly on the field or in the decisions made in the dugout). Much of that being a continuation of the regular season which all goes back to coaching. It would probably piss me off more.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
No. Arizona getting to the championship series in 2016 didn't make me feel any better about losing to them at home.
It made me feel worse because that Omaha field was weak as heck. Beat Arizona and we are the favorite to win it all. A&M and Louisville were the other two favorites that year and they also lost in the Supers. That was the year Coastal won it all and Santa Barbara was in Omaha too.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Since Virginia was the first team out, does that make you feel like ****? LOL

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Virginia had the easiest path to the CWS and was the worst team to make it. MSU was a middle of the pack SEC team. Better enjoy this season as next year we will be bottom of the pack SEC team.
17 that. You never know when a young talented player's balls decide to drop.

Oh, and didn't Lee make 2 unsuccessful flanking attempts prior to the disaster and does Pickett share any blame?

patdog

May 28, 2007
In this case, first impressions are right, Virginia did not have enough pitching go any further, than they did.
Oh well.
Their hitting was overrated too. Decent team. But only made the CWS because Arkansas choked in their regional. If we hosted our regional, we probably win it.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The SEC IS the 3 teams who deserve to be in Omaha. Florida is about as strange an anomaly as possible and should not have even been in a Regional and would not have been if the SEC's 5th place team had not crapped the bed against the Gators. And the wild boars not holding up under pressure meant the separation of UK, UT-Knox and the Milkmen from the rest of the SEC was as wide as the Mississippi River.

Reactions: patdog

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If you are Tennessee, you just have to be near the plate to get a strike.
Tennessee got some dudes. They are douche bags but I would take what Vitello is doing at Tennessee with with ball players they got over the guys we have been recruiting they got that swagger and ball player capability ms state use to have with Polk and cohen.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Mad respect to y'all still watching. My dad was filling me in today. I love college baseball more than MLB, but I just can't continue after we're out. It's not that I don't care, it's that it hurts to care.

That and the wife is just as into it as I am when State is playing. If they're not...

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I missed the game this afternoon and have this one on because nothing is on to watch. According to the play-by-play guys, Tennessee should already be in the finals, and they should go ahead and hand them the trophy. All I've heard about is how great a team Tennessee has—yawn.

Next stop... the Olympics.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I missed the game this afternoon and have this one on because nothing is on to watch. According to the play-by-play guys, Tennessee should already be in the finals, and they should go ahead and hand them the trophy. All I've heard about is how great a team Tennessee has—yawn.

Next stop... the Olympics.
Well, they haven’t been beaten so they look pretty unbeatable.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The SEC IS the 3 teams who deserve to be in Omaha. Florida is about as strange an anomaly as possible and should not have even been in a Regional and would not have been if the SEC's 5th place team had not crapped the bed against the Gators. And the wild boars not holding up under pressure meant the separation of UK, UT-Knox and the Milkmen from the rest of the SEC was as wide as the Mississippi River.

In fairness, the Gators were ranked as high as #2 early in the season and do have very young talent - so they were a bit of a wild card.

Also, playing Clemson was a gift as that team had been on a slow, steady decline since early ACC play.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Tennessee got some dudes. They are douche bags but I would take what Vitello is doing at Tennessee with with ball players they got over the guys we have been recruiting they got that swagger and ball player capability ms state use to have with Polk and cohen.
I don't disagree, but I'll be the first to admit that they have really toned that "bad boy" image they were wearing 2 years ago.

Vitello is maturing quickly as a coach, and I'd hire him in an instant and without second thoughts.

Reactions: MSUDOG24
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login