If we fire Lemonis

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope. Just compare NIL budgets between us and the blue bloods. Schools like TCU don't have to survive an SEC West schedule, and forget the reality of trying to get wins, a school like us has to make it through that schedule without significant injuries because we don't have the depth. Hope I'm proven wrong. But Dak's year in 2014 was our best shot, and I don't see that happening again in my lifetime.
I generally agree with this. We've essentially traded an easier row to hoe (as far as national aspirations) for money. I doubt we'd trade places with TCU, but still. It's easy to think about how much better these other programs have it, but they also have to consistently worry about conference realignment, etc. So I guess it's even at the end of the day.

I mean does anybody really consider TCU a national title contender, even though they just finished playing for the title last year? So does it really matter? Is a recruit going to choose TCU over MSU? I'd say no.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Its fun and good to speculate (means we have high expectations), but barring a total collapse the rest of the season, Lemon juice will be back. Winning the UM series ensured this (again barring a collapse the rest of the way)

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think very highly of Butch, but his volatility in terms of results would feel a lot like what we are experiencing currently.

I don’t think hiring Mingione is a good idea. I was for it at one point in 2018, but this year will only be the second time he’s ever gotten them to a Regional, and he’s been there 7 seasons.

The caveat with both Mingione and Butch is that they each coach at schools that are bottom 4 level SEC programs….especially UK which is hands down the worst program where it is most difficult to win. The ceiling for each at MSU is higher than it is at their current spot.

Of course, it all comes down to recruiting. I would worry a little bit more about Butch’s recruiting than Mingione, but neither is bad. Butch has more of an edge in the actual coaching / development arena though. Would definitely take Butch over Mingione if forced to only choose between the two of them, but I don’t think either would be in my Top 3.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The caveat with both Mingione and Butch is that they each coach at schools that are bottom 4 level SEC programs….especially UK which is hands down the worst program where it is most difficult to win. The ceiling for each at MSU is higher than it is at their current spot.

Of course, it all comes down to recruiting. I would worry a little bit more about Butch’s recruiting than Mingione, but neither is bad. Butch has more of an edge in the actual coaching / development arena though. Would definitely take Butch over Mingione if forced to only choose between the two of them, but I don’t think either would be in my Top 3.
Look what Cohen did at KY compared to Ming. And a lot of folks don't really like Ming.
Butch is a solid pitching coach. I'd take him if we missed on others. But he wouldn't to my list. He'd win some games here.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Its fun and good to speculate (means we have high expectations), but barring a total collapse the rest of the season, Lemon juice will be back. Winning the UM series ensured this (again barring a collapse the rest of the way)
Losing all of our remaining series and getting 10-run ruled a half dozen times would surely qualify as a collapse. That's what's about to happen.
Winning one or even two of our remaining SEC series should also qualify as a collapse.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Look what Cohen did at KY compared to Ming. And a lot of folks don't really like Ming.
Butch is a solid pitching coach. I'd take him if we missed on others. But he wouldn't to my list. He'd win some games here.

Agreed. I think most people here remember Mingione as kind of a goofball when he was the 1B coach. And we didn’t have too many great hitting teams in his tenure so folks assumed he was only good for recruiting. Could have been a bit of an unfair label based on spending most of his years here in the dead bat / ball era, as his last year here was one of the best offensive teams that we’ve ever had.

But the big thing is there is no Cohen out there. No one with that resume is coming. Cohen himself only came based on being a former player / alum. So if we did go another direction, there is going to be some inherent risk no matter what. I’m not sure that risk is definitively worse with Mingione than it is with most anyone else. But like I said before, there are a few guys I’d still personally prefer over both him and Butch.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Agreed. I think most people here remember Mingione as kind of a goofball when he was the 1B coach. And we didn’t have too many great hitting teams in his tenure so folks assumed he was only good for recruiting. Could have been a bit of an unfair label based on spending most of his years here in the dead bat / ball era, as his last year here was one of the best offensive teams that we’ve ever had.

But the big thing is there is no Cohen out there. No one with that resume is coming. Cohen himself only came based on being a former player / alum. So if we did go another direction, there is going to be some inherent risk no matter what. I’m not sure that risk is definitively worse with Mingione than it is with most anyone else. But like I said before, there are a few guys I’d still personally prefer over both him and Butch.
I disagree. We'll have good interest. Cohen ran the last search in the ditch. He had a top coach then, had he chosen to hire him. Lots of people don't want to work for the previous baseball coach and a turd of a guy/AD either. We're in a much better position with a new AD and a Natty in our pocket. And thank god we aren't up Dan McDonnell's *** again. We can't get some big time guys but we can a couple.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I disagree. We'll have good interest. Cohen ran the last search in the ditch. He had a top coach then had he chosen to hire him. Lots of people don't wont to work for the previous baseball coach and a turd of a guy/AD either. We're in a much better position with a new AD and a Natty in our pocket. And thank god we aren't up Dan McDonnell's *** again. We can't get some big time guys but we can a couple.

If you’re telling me there’s a guy we can hire that has the equivalent to an SEC title at 17ing Kentucky on his resume, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. That list is probably Corbin, O’Sullivan, Van Horn, Bianco. That’s it. McDonnell and Godwin don’t even make that cut. Neither do Jay Johnson or Vitello, for that matter.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Don't be dropping those truth bombs in here Perd. And add to the fact that we would have just fired a national championship coach, I guess people don't realize how horrific that looks in the coaching community. How did it work out for Auburn? Oh yeah, they had to hire their former OC. Which is not a bad idea at all, not saying it's not viable, I'm just saying that these absolute clowns who think we are going to fire Lemonis and hire Corbin or similar, are eating bath salts.

Fact: If we fire Lemonis, we are headed for someone like Lane Burroughs (if we are lucky), Butch or Mingione, someone with which we have a connection.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I disagree. We'll have good interest. Cohen ran the last search in the ditch. He had a top coach then, had he chosen to hire him. Lots of people don't want to work for the previous baseball coach and a turd of a guy/AD either. We're in a much better position with a new AD and a Natty in our pocket. And thank god we aren't up Dan McDonnell's *** again. We can't get some big time guys but we can a couple.
It's the exact opposite of this.

Cohen found the perfect coach, and the result was a national title, which we had never done.

Now that we've won it, we won't get SH*T for interest because, yeah, we fired a natty coach.

Ya'll need to get off that rock, man. I can't believe how some of you form these opinions.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Cohen found the perfect coach, and the result was a national title, which we had never done.

Now that we've won it, we won't get SH*T for interest because, yeah, we fired a natty coach.

Ya'll need to get off that rock, man. I can't believe how some of you form these opinions.

We'll get interest, but as you say, not the type of interest some on here think. Facts of the matter is no one is going to leave a top program to come to Mississippi State. Although its a very good job, there are probably coaches at 10-15 other schools if not more that wouldnt even consider leaving their job for us. Either because they are happy there or dont see MSU as a viable step up

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

You’re a dubmass if you think we’d have to settle for a coach like Burroughs or Butch

any reasonable person can look at this situation and say / he won with someone else’s guy s and couldn’t program build to sustain- they still have fan support and they crave a winner - any competitor would jump at that

stop being a pu$$y

reasonableron

Nov 27, 2021
Here’s the list that makes it acceptable to fire the guy who brought us our first national title two season later:

1) Tim Corbin (won’t happen)
2) Dan McDonnell (won’t happen)
3) Kevin O’Sullivan (probably won’t happen)
4) Tim Tadlock (doubt it)
5) Jim Schlossnagle (doubt it)
6) Dave Van Horn (won’t happen)
7) Cliff Godwin (doubt it)

Nobody else makes it worth your while this year. Next year, if we’re not back in the top 10, go for it. But this year, you’ve got to hire one of these guys.

If we do fire him and you whiff on this list, Pat Casey would be a good consolation prize for a few years.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
That makes sense. Do y’all think it will be tough to hire a top-flight coach after firing Lemonis 2 years removed from a NC? Do we have pull an LSU-Brian Kelly and throw more money at someone?

I think most candidates will label our fans as spoiled and say "no thanks"

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You’re a dubmass if you think we’d have to settle for a coach like Burroughs or Butch

any reasonable person can look at this situation and say / he won with someone else’s guy s and couldn’t program build to sustain- they still have fan support and they crave a winner - any competitor would jump at that

stop being a pu$$y
Name them.
Name who we can get that makes most of the fan base get erect/wet.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I heard Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson are looking for jobs. Get the right assistants they might be better than what we have. **************
At least they speak the #truth*****

(Oh... in before the lock)*****

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I think very highly of Butch, but his volatility in terms of results would feel a lot like what we are experiencing currently.

I don’t think hiring Mingione is a good idea. I was for it at one point in 2018, but this year will only be the second time he’s ever gotten them to a Regional, and he’s been there 7 seasons.
2 world series in 5 seasons. I'll take that. They just don't have the lore nor do they put the resources into baseball that we do. He's done well there and would knock it outta the park here, IMO.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login