If we somehow get to 6-6 - do you want to move on from Arnett?

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
It is so weird. Don went 5-7 his first year, but all things considered I felt like that they played somewhat over their head and i had confidence things would get better.

This is so different. I don’t want to be “that guy” that calls for a coaching change, but at the moment, I just don’t have any enthusiasm for this staff. Maybe not because of the record as much as just how unorganized they look on the field.

If I see some sort of massive improvement in the product, maybe I’ll change my mind, but at this moment I think we should be collecting dollars to find someone the fan base can get excited about or we are gonna have a record low for season tickets next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckDOG and patdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Be very careful what you wish for. I think at least one NFL team has a transgender cheerleader. So don't commit to bang them all before you get started.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. **
Absolutely…this staff has reached its level of incompetence in the work place. They have to go. Go get Kansas offensive coordinator go get Tom Herman. You think he won’t jump at it. Of course he will …but get someone else. When the other tream knows your plays by the second qtr give me a break. And Cublic said in his review some really odd calls to the short side of the field. Ronnie Milsap can see this it’s working This is Croom 2.0
Bonus points for the Ronnie Milsap reference

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It is so weird. Don went 5-7 his first year, but all things considered I felt like that they played somewhat over their head and i had confidence things would get better.

This is so different. I don’t want to be “that guy” that calls for a coaching change, but at the moment, I just don’t have any enthusiasm for this staff at the moment. Maybe not because of the record as much as just how unorganized they look on the field.

If I see some sort of massive improvement in the product, maybe I’ll change my mind, but at this moment I think we should be collecting dollars to find someone the fan base can get excited about or we are gonna have a record low for season tickets next year.
This is the complete opposite of Dan’s first year. I will go to my grave saying that hungry Dan Mullen can go toe to toe with any coach building a program other than Saban. That team was fun because you saw the buy in and the improvement game to game. We were a pitch away from beating LSU. And make no mistake, Dan was handed an absolute train wreck with very little talent. Good coaching can fix a lot. On the flip side, bad coaching can destroy everything.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If 1 of the 6 wins is UM, I'd let him make his case and make the decision based on what he can give me for an improvement plan. Otherwise, no. I like the guy and want him to be a successful head coach. But based on things as they are now, I don't see it.
I just had flashbacks to several threads about Moorhead here…

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Yes.

Arnett should be, unofficially, an interim this year, given this situation. Obviously, the administration had to show full commitment to try to keep everything from falling apart, but the message behind closed doors should have been that he had to earn a true long-term contract. He definitely hadn't earned the chance to be a P5 HC, much less an SEC HC.

I'd like to know how it went down. Did Arnett seek out Keenum and convince him he was the right man for the job, or did Keenum convince Arnett to take the job because it was the easiest thing to do?

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
Yes, unfortunately State can not be the place of 'learn on the job' of how to be a head coach.
Too much money involved.
But this will not end well either way, the portal game will be a nightmare.
If they are going to move on finding a new coach, it should already be underway with an announcement the Friday after the Egg Bowl!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yes.

Arnett should be, unofficially, an interim this year, given this situation. Obviously, the administration had to show full commitment to try to keep everything from falling apart, but the message behind closed doors should have been that he had to earn a true long-term contract. He definitely hadn't earned the chance to be a P5 HC, much less an SEC HC.

I'd like to know how it went down. Did Arnett seek out Keenum and convince him he was the right man for the job, or did Keenum convince Arnett to take the job because it was the easiest thing to do?
I would suggest it was the latter.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
People said last year we had to do it because of the portal and keeping team together. It's turned out to cause players to leave anyway and us to suck arse this year. Part of the problem is it took keenum too long to pick an AD

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Can anyone articulate what direction we are heading? Should I expect better recruiting? Should I expect better portal work? What's our identity? Should I expect the energy levels to increase going forward? I don't feel like there's a plan. If there is, nobody is selling it. Selmon owns some of that too.

With Leach, we were going to be air raid and sell out to it. Love it or hate it, we knew what direction everyone was pulling. Today it just feels like we are in limbo and hoping for the best.
1698682507566.png

• Haha
Reactions: beachbumdawg

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
If we somehow win 6, depending how those wins look, it would be hard to move on. The team hasn't seemed to improve on anything this season at all. It doesn't feel like the program is heading in the right direction. I can't see how another year of this would do anyone involved any good.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
With Sexton as his agent, if he goes 6-6, it'll be interesting to see what his contract demands will be.
That’s when you laugh them out of the office.

Contract demands for limping this experience laden team into a nothing bowl that should have had at least the same results as last year since the SEC is worse this year?? Yea. That should have everyone in the Bryan Building laughing themselves light headed.

Next year is going to suck no matter who coaches the team. But if we ride the Arnett train to devastation next year.. we could put ourselves in a mini pre Croom rebuild that takes 3 years or more to get back right. Bring in a replacement and let them get started in the portal before things get into a 2003 type rebuild state. Auburn is experiencing that year this year. We can just “woe is me” it and shuffle our feet for 5 years or we can grow a set, get friken proactive, and act like we want to compete in this new SEC beginning next year.

It’s not gonna be cheap… but you know what else is expensive? Keeping a fledgling football program afloat when your fans are at home watching till half before switching to a competitive, more entertaining game, partially because your guests keep being sympathetic to you because your team is so horrid.

It’s time to get back to business. It’s time to get chins back in the air and excitement percolating. Bring in a General that Eisenhower would give a thumbs up to, get started on a fan experience plan that pumps some life into the stadium, get off the Templeton plan and see if you can find some notes Byrne left behind.

Let’s freaking go!

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

This is so different. I don’t want to be “that guy” that calls for a coaching change, but at the moment, I just don’t have any enthusiasm for this staff. Maybe not because of the record as much as just how unorganized they look on the field.

2009 was literally 3-4 plays away from 7-5. If we give the ball to Dixon at the goal line instead of jump passing it in the LSU game and that ridiculous illegal forward pass call was called correctly in the Houston game.. we may would have been 7-5 on just one play and a correct call alone.

but there was OBVIOUS signs of improvement that year. That team played toe to toe with LSU for the first time in years, they played very well against #1 Florida, they beat UM when they lost to them in completely embarrassingly futile fashion the year before.

You could visibly see a positive shift in 2009 from 2008. We see the very reverse in action right now.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
2009 was literally 3-4 plays away from 7-5. If we give the ball to Dixon at the goal line instead of jump passing it in the LSU game and that ridiculous illegal forward pass call was called correctly in the Houston game.. we may would have been 7-5 on just one play and a correct call alone.

but there was OBVIOUS signs of improvement that year. That team played toe to toe with LSU for the first time in years, they played very well against #1 Florida, they beat UM when they lost to them in completely embarrassingly futile fashion the year before.

You could visibly see a positive shift in 2009 from 2008. We see the very reverse in action right now.
Also points per game went from 15 to near 26

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yes.

Arnett should be, unofficially, an interim this year, given this situation. Obviously, the administration had to show full commitment to try to keep everything from falling apart, but the message behind closed doors should have been that he had to earn a true long-term contract.
That is essentially what it is. There is no long term commitment.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I assume this is the game show, Let's Make a Deal.

Ok, Maroon Fan, you can keep the offer of 6-6 and a New Years day trip to bleak and gray Memphis .....or choose whats behind curtain 1.

Im picking the curtain.

Wayne Brady reveals............JIMBO FISCHER!

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I assume this is the game show, Let's Make a Deal.

Ok, Maroon Fan, you can keep the offer of 6-6 and a New Years day trip to bleak and gray Memphis .....or choose whats behind curtain 1.

Im picking the curtain.

Wayne Brady reveals............JIMBO FISCHER!
Holy crap, that would be so Msstate bad.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Yes. Obviously not even close to being ready for head coaching. Would be best for all parties.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Yup, Arnett gotta go. He gave it a shot. Understand the hire but not sure anyone thought it could really work. It’s been done before w/Luke. Appreciate him, pay him, move on. State’s whole problem this season hasn’t been w/players. They got players, it’s been coaching every single game because the players I believe have followed the coaching, but coaching has no answers to anything all season and no clue. Nice knowing ya but the change has to be made this season.

Reactions: vandaldawg

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If there are problems in the locker room, as Robbie Faulk implied on the Monday pod, then there really is no reason to keep him. Offense is boring and disjointed, the defensive scheme is baffling, recruiting is the worst it has been since the 2011 class - there will be absolutely no juice with the program.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If there are problems in the locker room, as Robbie Faulk implied on the Monday pod, then there really is no reason to keep him. Offense is boring and disjointed, the defensive scheme is baffling, recruiting is the worst it has been since the 2011 class - there will be absolutely no juice with the program.
2011 class was pretty damn good.

I don't get all this angst about crootin. We will sign the same level players we always do. There's plenty of other reasons to roast Arnett.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
2011 class was pretty damn good.

I don't get all this angst about crootin. We will sign the same level players we always do. There's plenty of other reasons to roast Arnett.
Ranking wise it was 41st. But it did have some all-timers in it like Dak and McKinney.

Personally I'd rather be fighting OM and Auburn for recruits right now and not McNeese State and Bethune Cookman, but that's just me.

Also signing "the same level of players we always do" is part of the reason we are where we are right now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ranking wise it was 41st. But it did have some all-timers in it like Dak and McKinney.

Personally I'd rather be fighting OM and Auburn for recruits right now and not McNeese State and Bethune Cookman, but that's just me.

Also signing "the same level of players we always do" is part of the reason we are where we are right now.
We've signed the same players for 50 years. If you find the magic pill to do better, be sure to let us all know, that would be worth a ton of money. So no, you're wrong. Talent level has been the constant, it's always been about having competent coaching to get to Jackie/Mullen/Leach levels.

Trying to do what the bigger programs do is not the answer.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I like how everyone mentions Bethune cookman regarding the latest commitment. However the fact he was a high 4 star out of high school isn't mentioned.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Goat never has been one to set the bar too high. And it shows

patdog

May 28, 2007
I like how everyone mentions Bethune cookman regarding the latest commitment. However the fact he was a high 4 star out of high school isn't mentioned.
There's a reason for that. He's a former 4* who has not panned out. There's reasons it's down to us and Bethune Cookman for him and the big schools that wanted him 4 years ago won't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
100% he is not ready to be a head coach in the most competitive league in division 1 football. His choices of coordinators is laughable and the product on the field is decades behind where we were with Mullen or Leach, yes I'm ignoring the Yankee interlude! We can not afford to stay this course, he is playing checkers while we play chess grand champions. Move on!!!!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I want to say no, but if one of the 2 wins is the Egg Bowl, then I think I'll end up being caught in the moment and wanting to give him another chance.... wheeeeeeere he'll promptly go 3-9.

October 30, 2023 Dawgg wants him gone.
November 24, 2023 Dawgg may change his mind, but only because he's not thinking straight.

Now... that's what I want... Regardless of that, if he goes 6-6, he's probably back.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have one question for you guys who think we can get to 6-6... Were you not paying attention to our defense and offense in the last two games? It's beginning to look like we were able to stop Arkansas because they're worse on offense than we are. Auburn actually ran subscripted plays to score. Remember those? When you run scripted on the offensive to fit your talent? They eventually ran out of those plays, and their talent started to show. It took us to the end of the games to finally call an offensive play where Wright could be possibly successful. Wright looked utterly lost in the first half, and he had a BYE week to prepare. I'm not blaming him so much. The play calls for his talents were terrible. It's obvious he cannot throw the deep ball accurately, so why don't we run quick slants and outs instead of trying to throw deeper routes?

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I will be happily surprised if we go 6-6 or better.
Whether we do it or not, I think Mr. Arnett needs to be shown the door. He showed a total lack of understanding and willingness to maximize this team's potential in the single best alignment of experience, conference strength, and scheduling that we've had in a long time. He squandered our resources in a year when we could have made some noise.
I have already discussed in previous posts the obvious difference in our program's momentum from 2008 through 2009 and 2022 through 2023. Not all 5-7 seasons are the same, and this season seems likely to prove that in a most unpleasant way.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I want us both (MSU & Armett) to do well. And I think the easiest way for us both to do that is if we not pursue those goals together.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure this is still and interim job but had to drop that title to get an offensive staff put together.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login