If you're an elite basketball recruit, why go to college?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Seems like they could do all that now - but it would take some individual thoughts on the part of the athletes. All they'd have to do is choose their major?

To me, that's the issue. Most of them expect everything given to them, and want to do NOTHING for themselves. They all think they are going pro, and those percent chances are exactly why I don't think we shouldn't have a curriculum just for sports.
I went through it and that is not accurate. They could do it but they won't get a degree afterwards. The biggest issue as a student/athlete in the major sports, especially the good players that might have a chance at the next level, is that they are there to prepare for their dream, as every other student. They are then told that they can study to become something other than what they want to do. Then to take classes in this "backup" career interferes with their practice time for the real reason they are there. So now the degree programs become limited because you, and your coaches really, don't want to miss practice. Then these student athletes commit 2 or 3 hours a day outside of school hours to do what they are really there for. It then becomes a just remain eligible situation.

So if this was designed specifically for these student athletes and works for their betterment, it is a positive. They will then get an education in their interests that can be a stepping stone into many other careers.

And to your "so few make it" argument, so few people make it big in music or acting or art and we have entire schools dedicated to those endeavors. It is not up to you to tell someone else their dream is hard so we won't train you in that field. There are a ton of degrees that lead to limited financial success. 18th century French literature is not in much demand, but there are people majoring in it.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Well I haven't seen what happens to G League players when they go out on the town or to parties but I have seen what happens to star college athletes. That'd be hard to pass up for one year before becoming a millionaire

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login