I'm starting to hate college football

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Hate it more and more every season. Truth is, it started way before last season when we clearly made a run for the worst team in the SEC, it started more like 5-7 years ago when it seems like the amount of money injected into the sport reached a point where it was impossible to turn back. The separation between the haves and the have-nots has been gradually increasing for 30 years, but the past 3-5 years has really turned me off to the sport. It's already killed the Troy's and USM's of the world, that happened long ago. But now, with the transfer rules and NIL dealings, it's finally caught up with the lower budget/big conference schools like State, Baylor, NC State, Kansas State, etc. I'd like to think my take on the game would be different if we were in the top 10, but I guess I'll never know.

As much as I hate to say it, as much as we all despise the NCAA, I miss having them around to bring a bit of amateurism back to the sport. I still maintain that the transfer rules were the biggest nail in the coffin.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Hate it more and more every season. Truth is, it started way before last season when we clearly made a run for the worst team in the SEC, it started more like 5-7 years ago when it seems like the amount of money injected into the sport reached a point where it was impossible to turn back. The separation between the haves and the have-nots has been gradually increasing for 30 years, but the past 3-5 years has really turned me off to the sport. It's already killed the Troy's and USM's of the world, that happened long ago. But now, with the transfer rules and NIL dealings, it's finally caught up with the lower budget/big conference schools like State, Baylor, NC State, Kansas State, etc. I'd like to think my take on the game would be different if we were in the top 10, but I guess I'll never know.

As much as I hate to say it, as much as we all despise the NCAA, I miss having them around to bring a bit of amateurism back to the sport. I still maintain that the transfer rules were the biggest nail in the coffin.
I don't like the direction it's heading either.

Devil's advocate: doesn't seem to be bothering Toledo.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Saturdays are still as good as they ever were. Game drama will always be there. What they've killed is the recruiting business and the fans following throughout the year.

I don't know that I agree about the G5 teams either. Seems like they are holding their own, at least against the teams outside of the 20% or so 'elite' P4 teams.

Big thing is.....if they'd ever stop the changes, it could stabilize. But instead, they just did this whole 120 scholly limit deal and the schools handling NIL. I don't know why they just keep doing dumb shlt. They could have just stopped at NIL. But then they went one-time immediate eligibility portal, then every year eligibility, portal, etc. etc. etc. Just stop at some point.

Reactions: GomJabbar

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Honestly, I enjoy it more. I am at the point where the State losses don’t affect me but big wins make me happy. Years ago, if we lost the 11 o’clock game, I couldn’t enjoy the rest of the day. Now I get over it and can gleefully watch the next 10 hours.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same, it started about 2018 for me. In years past unless we had a game in Starkville or Jackson I was a couch potato, starting w/ the 11:00 game and ending when I fell asleep on the couch during the late night Pac 10,12,2,4 or whatever they call it now game. I doubt I watched a complete 60 minutes total of the games this past Saturday, saw parts of LSU-SC, saw part of FSU and part of ours that's it. And I can't really say I miss it much at all. I stayed at the tailgate Saturday and it looked like a lot of others did too. The upper decks on both sides looked sparse as did lower level upper corners on both sides. Student section looked pretty good for the first half. There were way less tents in The Junction than years past too. Officially attendance was 47,000+ but it was way less than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gooserip and Dawgg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, I enjoy it more. I am at the point where the State losses don’t affect me but big wins make me happy. Years ago, if we lost the 11 o’clock game, I couldn’t enjoy the rest of the day. Now I get over it and can gleefully watch the next 10 hours.

I can now enjoy the rest of my day, just as you. But, I definitely don't spend it watching college football. I haven't reached that level of distance from losses.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I hear you, and a lot of the anger is warranted, but I think we’re all a little blinded at the moment by rage surrounding our own team’s incompetence.

For one, you mention teams like K State, yet they’re sitting at #13 in the polls with Iowa St, Nebraska, North Illinois, and Illinois not too far behind them. Then the others receiving votes section is littered with G5 teams like Memphis and…. Toledo. In other words, we can argue all day that a national title is out of reach for teams like this, but it’s far from impossible to be competitive and in the Top 25 mix.

Furthermore, NIL continues to get a lot of attention and rightfully so, but when you watch a team like Memphis who would embarrass us btw, they haven’t come close to out recruiting us. They just have guys that play hard, that are better coached, and that play with better discipline. Therefore, I refuse to accept the idea that State putting together a competitive, bowl eligible roster is some impossible task. We just have to have leadership that knows how to get this done, and it’s at the least debatable as to whether we have that right now

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that we can get on the OM path to Top 5 rankings, but holy hell…. If Memphis, N Illinois, UNLV, and Toledo can figure this era of college football out, we should be able to too, and our current product is a completely embarrassing indictment on all levels of MSU leadership

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

This is what I mean about destroying the "middle class." The lower budget big conference schools are the middle class and this system is pushing them down closer to the "lower class".....any non P4. The "upper class" blue-bloods keep getting even richer and have a distinct advantage even if a rebuild is needed.

Scholardhip limits, transfer rules, recruiting rules were all in place to help create a more level playing field and you could argue that the blue bloods were actually subsidizing the old system (I know some still cheated) because if those rules didn't exist they'd have too much of an unfair advantage over other schools.....welll we've kind of thrown that out the window for kids with their hands out and a portal that allows them to run away with no consequences. We deserve the system we have but it will eat itself unless changes are made.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I hate CFB now.
I may get more into G5 or D2
I hate that a NFL-style draft with a set pool of money never gained traction. Blame NCAA for that.

The top 15 programs killed the sport.

Something that really chaps me is how Saban took his toys and went home, and toothless bammer fans and the like are “seeh, even Saban knew it gone be uh mess”

Saban, Bama, and any other perennial powerhouse program bemoaning this system is like the national railroad who designed, financed and built the tracks and fueled up the locomotives that complain how the train is off the tracks.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Interesting point.....considering what MSU does, and then the overall health of the sport, is two different things.

As far as MSU, if I'm honest, the part of me that you just described, started dying during that 2014 Alabama loss. I knew, if we didn't get it done that day, we likely wouldn't. I already didn't like the sport headed away from bowls and toward a playoff, but it was easy to ignore when we were that good. Anyways, limped along until Mullen left, which sucked. Then watched Moorhead decline, and got a second wind with Leach. Didn't like it at first, but once NIL/portal got here, I was like heck, maybe we have the ONE guy who can keep us relevant during this time, due to his name cache and niche. I was actually excited during 2021 about the future and leading into 2022 and beyond. But the whole deal with Cohen left a stinch IMO. Then Leach dies. I think at that point I was nearly done. And our idiotic handling of the program after that sealed the deal. We've done nothing right since then.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
It’s died slow enough that I haven’t cared as much as I would have if it happened abruptly. The playoff will be interesting with more teams, and it’ll at least have some underdog games that are fun regardless of whether I’m a fan. But that interest wanes the further State is from those teams. If we’re not playing those teams anymore, I won’t care. I’ll switch entirely to the NFL, which I haven’t watched historically but is a good product.

NIL makes it hard, but I’d love the revenue to be more college-based and less NIL-based then introduce some kind of salary cap or luxury tax. Boosters could still NIL their way around parity, and there’d be legal issues with not allowing NIL, but the more it resembles the NFL, the better. If there was some school maximum where we were contributing to hitting a pool that we need fill which would have a semblance of evening the playing field, that would be so much more appealing than the current state of things.

Reactions: ckDOG and HRMSU

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
You can't enjoy watching CFB when your team absolutely sucks. Maybe some of you can....

The only thing we can hope is that our coaching staff believes enough in themselves and aren't resigned to sucking in the new era of college football and are working their tails off to make our players and program better.

They're our only hope at this point.

Otherwise, we may as well SHUT IT DOWN.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I wish you guys that constantly post about hating college football now would just find some Fox News message boards to go post on. If you hate college football so much, why do you spend so much time on a board that primarily talks about college football? It’s the same doom and gloom, college football has been ruined post every week from the same guys.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I wish you guys that constantly post about hating college football now would just find some Fox News message boards to go post on. If you hate college football so much, why do you spend so much time on a board that primarily talks about college football? It’s the same doom and gloom, college football has been ruined post every week from the same guys.
Do you have anything positive to add about MSU football, I'd like to hear something? MSU posters don't come to this forum to talk about the positive things other teams are doing, at least not in the many years I've been hanging around here. If you want to discuss the positive things about other teams then an ESPN forum or Gene's page is probably where you need to head because I don't think we'll be discussing how great other teams are doing on this forum.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
5c04cd9b-d788-4ef4-8d49-0130c9964392_text.gif

We will turn a profit though as we get our participation deposits.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Therapy brother***** and this board has a lot more reach than college football which is what I really enjoy about it. There's some very talented experts on this board *****

• Haha
Reactions: ronpolk

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do you have anything positive to add about MSU football, I'd like to hear something? MSU posters don't come to this forum to talk about the positive things other teams are doing, at least not in the many years I've been hanging around here. If you want to discuss the positive things about other teams then an ESPN forum or Gene's page is probably where you need to head because I don't think we'll be discussing how great other teams are doing on this forum.
You aren't wrong. I can't think of one good thing about MSU sports right now except Jans, and with Selman at the helm, even he's trying to get out.

Reactions: 60sdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Where did I say we need to discuss MSU in a positive manner. I’m all for us talking about how bad we suck now. I’m talking about people that continue to make post about how bad college football sucks and how it’s been ruined and about how they don’t even watch it anymore.

You know what I don’t do and what I assume most people don’t do, continually talk about **** they don’t like or watch. I don’t like soccer, I don’t like volleyball, I don’t really even like basketball that much, so you know what I don’t ever talk about it. I certainly don’t make post on a msg board about how much I didn’t watch volleyball this weekend.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It’s died slow enough that I haven’t cared as much as I would have if it happened abruptly. The playoff will be interesting with more teams, and it’ll at least have some underdog games that are fun regardless of whether I’m a fan. But that interest wanes the further State is from those teams. If we’re not playing those teams anymore, I won’t care. I’ll switch entirely to the NFL, which I haven’t watched historically but is a good product.

NIL makes it hard, but I’d love the revenue to be more college-based and less NIL-based then introduce some kind of salary cap or luxury tax. Boosters could still NIL their way around parity, and there’d be legal issues with not allowing NIL, but the more it resembles the NFL, the better. If there was some school maximum where we were contributing to hitting a pool that we need fill which would have a semblance of evening the playing field, that would be so much more appealing than the current state of things.
NIL needs to die. Bring the athletes in house and compensated as university employees. Let the typical SA (they aren't getting rich off or much of anything off NIL) demand collective bargaining. SAs then get paid something reasonable that more programs can manage.

"Real NIL" can still go on. If Nike wants to cut a check to a superstar, good for those involved. Or even if the local pizza joint wants to pay a local star $5k to be in some ads. I'm cool with that too. Private business marketing is self regulating. Could it be abused? Sure, but profit ultimately wins. Just kill the slush fund NIL nonsense and force any booster payments back under the table where it belongs.

Also...bring back the transfer sit out a year rule. No penalty transfers is bad for the product and does more harm than good.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
NIL needs to die. Bring the athletes in house and compensated as university employees. Let the typical SA (they aren't getting rich off or much of anything off NIL) demand collective bargaining. SAs then get paid something reasonable that more programs can manage.

"Real NIL" can still go on. If Nike wants to cut a check to a superstar, good for those involved. Or even if the local pizza joint wants to pay a local star $5k to be in some ads. I'm cool with that too. Private business marketing is self regulating. Could it be abused? Sure, but profit ultimately wins. Just kill the slush fund NIL nonsense and force any booster payments back under the table where it belongs.

Also...bring back the transfer sit out a year rule. No penalty transfers is bad for the product and does more harm than good.
This would be the best way to do it. The instant transfer is the problem because it handcuffs the rosters. You get someone in here who thinks they need to play and looks at week 1 depth chart and isn’t starting so he pouts and leaves because he can just go to another school next year. Give this kind of freedom to 18-20 year olds results in a lot of bad decisions.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Where did I say we need to discuss MSU in a positive manner. I’m all for us talking about how bad we suck now. I’m talking about people that continue to make post about how bad college football sucks and how it’s been ruined and about how they don’t even watch it anymore.

You know what I don’t do and what I assume most people don’t do, continually talk about **** they don’t like or watch. I don’t like soccer, I don’t like volleyball, I don’t really even like basketball that much, so you know what I don’t ever talk about it. I certainly don’t make post on a msg board about how much I didn’t watch volleyball this weekend.
I’m like you. If you drown out the off the field noise the on the field product is still awesome. Northern Illinois beat ND. South Carolina beat the hell out of KY, who almost beat UGA, meanwhile SC loses to LSU who struggled with Nichols State. A team that was undefeated and has plenty of NIL and transfer cache is winless this year and the losses are not to great teams. Washington played for a national championship last year and just lost to their little brother rival that they left in the dust. I’m sure all of this is short lived and in 6 years it will be 12 teams only losing to each other, but I love it now. I’m a CFB sicko. Hawaii playing at 11PM on a Friday night? Yes please!

Reactions: Dawgg and ronpolk

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I turned our game off at halftime and watched Joker because I needed something more uplifting.
Years ago, I would almost cut my wrist for a state game to be televised. Compare to now- I have watched a TOTAL of only 3-4 minutes of all three games. I used to NEVER miss a play that Jack Cristil called, now I haven't listened at all, in quite a long time.

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Again, serious question, what are we going to talk about here then? Sounds like you want to come to this MSU football forum and talk about the top rated college games elsewhere this past weekend on tv across the country or the ones coming up this weekend? Sorry but that'll never happen here. It's football season and we are going to talk about our football team and why they suck and the consensus is its NIL, the portal, and coaching. We hate it but we're still going to keep up with it and complain till something gets done about it. If we just walked away from it then there would be the posters that talk about how real fans don't do that, they continue to pour money into the program and sing Kumbaya holding hands in the Junction and waiting for the next good year. That's not the way this board has ever worked, that's why this board was created because the 'do gooders' over at the other board bit-ched about negative posting over there.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I don’t think profit ultimately wins. Cannon motors didn’t care about profit when they paid players, now they can “advertise” for them. Bel Mac roofing wasn’t paying Cam Newton for ROI. Every law firm from Gautier to Southaven is going to have a Rebel DL saying one call, that’s all.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014

Were any of those things you don't really like ever previously your overwhelmingly favorite thing?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Opposite of love is indifference. And nobody here is indifferent about college sports, no matter what they may say.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Opposite of love is indifference. And nobody here is indifferent about college sports, no matter what they may say.
While true, my personal level of indifference has steadily risen in last 10 year, accelerating last 5. And it sounds like I have some company.

I'd also guess WELL over half of this board is 35-50 years old. Those are peak ages for just having a lot of shiit going on. I wonder what the perspective is for the older and younger sets?

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Yeah, basically what you're saying is a bigger stipend check. I think everybody would be in favor of that, money is just too big to totally cut the players out.

Agree on the portal. I'd make an exception for a head coaching change. But this isn't happening now, toothpaste and tube. The only thing that we can hope for is the NIL regulation that you mentioned.

What this is really going to do....is kill non-playoff bowls. Literally every team in the country is going to dive head first into portal recruiting as soon as the season is over and the smoke clears (whether that involves coaching changes or whatever). Nobody will care about bowl practice or making/winning a bowl. So you're talking about maybe 15-20 teams that will still care about the season from about November, through the conference championship weekend. So what's the answer to this? Expand the playoff to where it should be, minimum 16 and max 24, so that it matches the % of every other level of collegiate sports.

Reactions: ckDOG

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I'll watch some games around the country that are competitive. But then NIL and portal talk is inserted by the announcers and my pecker quickly deflates.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
While true, my personal level of indifference has steadily risen in last 10 year, accelerating last 5. And it sounds like I have some company.

I'd also guess WELL over half of this board is 35-50 years old. Those are peak ages for just having a lot of shiit going on. I wonder what the perspective is for the older and younger sets?
I've often wondered if the 20 something crowd gets as emotionally unstable about this stuff as I was at that age.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'll watch some games around the country that are competitive. But then NIL and portal talk is inserted by the announcers and my pecker quickly deflates.
Sounds like you want the attention to remain on the muscular 18-22 year old young men, dammmit.***

1726504597137.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Username does not check out

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login