IMO, Today is the anniversary of the worst officiating call in Mississippi State history

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
In 2009, a ranked Houston came to Starkville. Up by 3 early in the third quarter, we threw a TD pass on a 4th and 7 that was called back for illegal forward pass past the line of scrimmage. It was replayed and upheld by Conference USA officials trying to protect an unbeaten team later in the season.

It cost us a ranked win, and a bowl game in Mullen's first season.

BYU 2001 was the worst officiated game, but this was the worst call. Especially in the replay era.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
In 2009, a ranked Houston came to Starkville. Up by 3 early in the third quarter, we threw a TD pass on a 4th and 7 that was called back for illegal forward pass past the line of scrimmage. It was replayed and upheld by Conference USA officials trying to protect an unbeaten team later in the season.

BYU 2001 was the worst officiated game, but this was the worst call. Especially in the replay era.

That was definitely an atrocious call that wasn't even really close to being right.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty sure it wasn't replayed and upheld. At that time, there were no automatic reviews and Mullen didnt' challenge b/c the ref told him it wasn't even close. Just a rookie coaching mistake by Mullen and a big failure by whoever was in the booth for us.

I think the Ref got confused by the chains and treated the original line of scrimmage for those 4 downs as the LOS on that play.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Memphis punt return call last year may have been the worst call in college football history.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

The worst call in MSU history was the Dick Pace pass interference call in the 1981 Egg Bowl. Nothing else even comes close.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The 2018 block in the back call on Deddrick Thomas in Tuscaloosa is the worst I’ve ever seen. Maybe not consequential to the result of the game but it was beyond atrocious.
No maybe about it. No one can convince me that call was inconsequential in that game... that's as big a momentum killer in an already uphill battle as you can have.

As Bart and Charlie say, "the game is sequential" - that game and call would be the poster child of that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
By far the WORST call in our history.
I was sitting about 10-15 rows up right above that play in the student section. The only contact on the play was the UM receiver coming over the top of our guy trying to break up the interception. There wasn't any PI on that play, but if there was, it was offensive PI. Remember PI was a spot foul then so UM got the ball on the two by rule and scored on the next play. That call 100% decided the game. It's still the worst call I've ever seen in any sport till this day.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

It was an awful call, but I don't think it was reviewed and upheld.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
This was also the game where Houston was running so quickly that the refs lost track of downs at one point and nearly gave Houston a 5th down before a review was held, leading to the referee making the iconic announcement "After further review, the previous play was 4th down"

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
No maybe about it. No one can convince me that call was inconsequential in that game... that's as big a momentum killer in an already uphill battle as you can have.

As Bart and Charlie say, "the game is sequential" - that game and call would be the poster child of that.
We were already down 21-0 at that point, and my brain won’t let me believe that Joe Moorhead had a chance to beat Saban in Tuscaloosa. That said, there was also a missed call on a fumble early in that game that should have been reviewed and never was.

For the record, the visitors section for a 2:30 game at Bryant-Denny freaking sucks. You are literally starting directly in the sun the whole game.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
For the record, the visitors section for a 2:30 game at Bryant-Denny freaking sucks. You are literally starting directly in the sun the whole game.

This is also true of the visitor's section of any day game at Jordan-Hare. Somehow the architects managed to orient that stadium so that the visiting section is in direct sunlight from sunup to sundown.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
By far the WORST call in our history.
I had endzone seats and was right on top of that play. Did you see the flag thrown as Harris was coming down with the INT? Pace explained it as the PI was due to Harris interferring 5-10 yards before both got to the endzone. I had to buy a new cowbell after that game.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

We've had a few worse calls but that one was indeed horrible that cost us a bowl invite for Mullen's first year. The turnaround from the previous year was a remarkable 180 and considering we had the toughest schedule in the Country, I think we were the best 5-7 (5-6?) team in the Nation that year. The LSU game hurt me the most though because it had been what seemed like 2 decades or so since I've seen us dominate LSU in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We had that game won at the goal line and didn't utilize Anthony Dixon properly down there.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I had endzone seats and was right on top of that play. Did you see the flag thrown as Harris was coming down with the INT? Pace explained it as the PI was due to Harris interferring 5-10 yards before both got to the endzone. I had to buy a new cowbell after that game.
Pace was lying then too. There was never any contact.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Pace was lying then too. There was never any contact.
I think I'm correct in saying that he never called another ballgame. I know the rule was changed to make it a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul. That play was one of the biggest reasons cited in the change.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think I'm correct in saying that he never called another ballgame. I know the rule was changed to make it a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul. That play was one of the biggest reasons cited in the change.
I memory serves, I think you are correct on both of those; Pace's career and the rule change. I think the NFL should consider it as well. What about field goals that are good for a second but a sudden straight line wind blows the damn football back into the end zone? Anybody remember that BS Egg Bowl? Did that promt a new rule? Should have.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It wasn't a penalty, but Calvin Ridley is still out of bounds.
I watched that play again on YouTube just now and got mad again. He clearly ran out of bounds on his own, ref threw the hat and everything and then another ref said he was forced out and they were like “Ok, play stands.”

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Definitely the worst called game. BYU was undefeated and was going to stay that way if the refs had anything to say about it.

Example

One of our WRs made a catch and made the arm back and forth to signal a first down and was immediately flagged and given a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Definitely the worst called game. BYU was undefeated and was going to stay that way if the refs had anything to say about it.

Example

One of our WRs made a catch and made the arm back and forth to signal a first down and was immediately flagged and given a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.
That's some MAIS-refs-in-a-Jackson-Prep game officiating right there.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Someone should put together top 10 worst calls.

92 fumble by Jay Barker that was called an incomplete pass. Thank God we have instant replay in today's game....it's helped even it up a little.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I watched that play again on YouTube just now and got mad again. He clearly ran out of bounds on his own, ref threw the hat and everything and then another ref said he was forced out and they were like “Ok, play stands.”
That one was so bad because it's hard to believe that was an innocent mistake. The guy clearly saw what happened and threw his hat down. It wasn't like there was somebody else with a different angle that might have shown something different. The only way it was possibly an innocent mistake is if they were somehow confused over whether the WR is allowed to go out of bound and come back in. That's a stretch.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

byu was a damb travesty. m0rm0ns h00ked the 17 out of us

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
Someone should put together top 10 worst calls.

92 fumble by Jay Barker that was called an incomplete pass. Thank God we have instant replay in today's game....it's helped even it up a little.
I would put the TD at LSU in 2000 on this list as well. RB was easily 2 yards short.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
It was an awful call, but I don't think it was reviewed and upheld.
It sure was. The broadcast crew even expected a reversal. I remember it like it was last year.

That and the stupid jump pass in the LSU game (when Dixon was in the backfield) was the difference in two wins. We could have been in a pretty good bowl that year.

Reactions: Motodawg
Aug 23, 2012

The Pig return with the phantom clip against Bama has to rank up there

BYU going the whole game with no holding penalties when they tackled our defensive line.

5th down at LSU

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
The worst call in MSU history was the Dick Pace pass interference call in the 1981 Egg Bowl. Nothing else even comes close.
THIS!!! Hands down!! I was there and witnessed it personally. It was rumoured afterwards that the SEC office was advised to never allow Mr. Pace to officiate another MSU game.

Reactions: BingleCocktail

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

Houston? Nah…

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
The 2018 block in the back call on Deddrick Thomas in Tuscaloosa is the worst I’ve ever seen. Maybe not consequential to the result of the game but it was beyond atrocious.
I remember Finebaum saying that was the end of his automatic dismissal of the refs playing favorites to AL. Undoubtedly forgotten by now. But it was that bad.

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
It sure was. The broadcast crew even expected a reversal. I remember it like it was last year.

That and the stupid jump pass in the LSU game (when Dixon was in the backfield) was the difference in two wins. We could have been in a pretty good bowl that year.
It wasn't just the jump pass. All he had to do on 4th down was pitch it to Boobie and he can walk in. Instead our 5'9" QB thought he could run through the LSU d-line.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login