IMO, Today is the anniversary of the worst officiating call in Mississippi State history

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Was that the game we were called offsides on a kickoff?
That was against WVU. I know this because i was watching with my step dad.. from West Virginia. The next play ( first play from scrimmage) Pat White took it to the house. I’ll never forget it

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
In 2009, a ranked Houston came to Starkville. Up by 3 early in the third quarter, we threw a TD pass on a 4th and 7 that was called back for illegal forward pass past the line of scrimmage. It was replayed and upheld by Conference USA officials trying to protect an unbeaten team later in the season.

It cost us a ranked win, and a bowl game in Mullen's first season.

BYU 2001 was the worst officiated game, but this was the worst call. Especially in the replay era.

Number one is the Dick Pace PI call. My wife has not been back to a State-OM game since.
Number two goes back to around 1967 against LSU in Baton Rouge. We had a first and goal around the 8 yard line and when we were third and goal on the three the referee said it was fourth down. They literally stole a down from us. Kick a field goal and go up by three. LSU then drives for the winning td.
Number three. Bama defense calls signals and makes us jump, Sherrill was livid.
Number four. The BYU non-holding calls.
I could go on and on…..

Oct 7, 2022
The Bama game was 91. Happened right in front of me. I was in the student section. John Sullins, SE Sullins boy, former asst coach under Tyler.
I was pissed.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I had endzone seats and was right on top of that play. Did you see the flag thrown as Harris was coming down with the INT? Pace explained it as the PI was due to Harris interferring 5-10 yards before both got to the endzone. I had to buy a new cowbell after that game.
We were sitting halfway up on the goal line and had a good view of it all. Just awful

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We were sitting halfway up on the goal line and had a good view of it all. Just awful
Actually I was facing the goal line, not behind the end zone. You and I were prolly sitting in the same vicinity. I was on the side where the play happened on the left side of the endzone right on top of it. As I walked out I smashed and destroyed my cowbell against the steel hand rail. People around me backed off. Not a soul in the stadium would have wanted to 17 with me at that moment despite being 5'6" 140 lbs.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
THIS!!! Hands down!! I was there and witnessed it personally. It was rumoured afterwards that the SEC office was advised to never allow Mr. Pace to officiate another MSU game.
I don't think he ever called ANY game again.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Actually I was facing the goal line, not behind the end zone. You and I were prolly sitting in the same vicinity. I was on the side where the play happened on the left side of the endzone right on top of it. As I walked out I smashed and destroyed my cowbell against the steel hand rail. People around me backed off. Not a soul in the stadium would have wanted to 17 with me at that moment despite being 5'6" 140 lbs.
I actually remember someone destroying a cowbell, sitting near us on that side. It was loud!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I actually remember someone destroying a cowbell, sitting near us on that side. It was loud!
That was not me. I destroyed mine while walking out just as you exit from the seating area and start walking down hill still under the stadium. Delayed reaction I guess. LOL.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
That one was so bad because it's hard to believe that was an innocent mistake. The guy clearly saw what happened and threw his hat down. It wasn't like there was somebody else with a different angle that might have shown something different. The only way it was possibly an innocent mistake is if they were somehow confused over whether the WR is allowed to go out of bound and come back in. That's a stretch.
Not a mistake. There are approximately 50 SEC referees and just over half of them are from the State of Alabama. One of them’s Grandfather played quarterback for Bear Bryant. His name escapes e right now but I am remembering that he was part of the crew the night Calvin Ridley ran out of bounds. Each year I consider the Alabama contest a show and not a game. The outcome is pretty much predetermined.

Sep 15, 2009
I watched that play again on YouTube just now and got mad again. He clearly ran out of bounds on his own, ref threw the hat and everything and then another ref said he was forced out and they were like “Ok, play stands.”
If my memory is correct, it happened twice that game. Or maybe I just watched it a bunch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login