Inflation Update: Mickey Ds

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A $5 value meal in 2024-

Itll be interesting to see how successful McDonalds is with this initiative. The only way I can see it being sustainable is by reducing portions, along with quality and margins. Reducing those 3 things together would be brutal though.

I have never ordered thru the McDonalds app, but I have been asked if I am ordering thru the app when I pull up to the drivethru menu to place my order.
I havent asked, but what the 17 is the process there? I sit in the drivethru line, order on my app, pull up to the ordering menu and tell the worker that I ordered on the app, then I pick it up at the window? Is that really the process? How is that better for me or McDonalds? They are still talking with every customer so it isnt reducing work. Is it really just so they can push incentives to customers thru the app?
17ing wild process to not fully understand.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
A $5 value meal in 2024-

Itll be interesting to see how successful McDonalds is with this initiative. The only way I can see it being sustainable is by reducing portions, along with quality and margins. Reducing those 3 things together would be brutal though.

I have never ordered thru the McDonalds app, but I have been asked if I am ordering thru the app when I pull up to the drivethru menu to place my order.
I havent asked, but what the 17 is the process there? I sit in the drivethru line, order on my app, pull up to the ordering menu and tell the worker that I ordered on the app, then I pick it up at the window? Is that really the process? How is that better for me or McDonalds? They are still talking with every customer so it isnt reducing work. Is it really just so they can push incentives to customers thru the app?
I occasionally do it when leaving the ball fields with my son. I place the order in the app while I'm at the ballpark. Then we pull into a pickup parking spot and tell the app the # of the stall we are in. Then they walk it out to you. The McDs next to us is usually packed with other families doing the same thing. It usually saves us 5-10 mins. Also, McDs gives pretty solid discounts in their app. I used to think it was more trouble than it was worth, but the process has grown on me.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
A $5 value meal in 2024-

They will probably follow the Subway model of forcing the pricing on the franchisees. Hopefully for all involved to more success than Subway. It's not their main profit driver, so should work fine. All involved are probably taking a profit hit against what they've been scoring the last year or two. But that's the point, regarding inflation.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I sit in the drivethru line, order on my app, pull up to the ordering menu and tell the worker that I ordered on the app, then I pick it up at the window? Is that really the process? How is that better for me or McDonalds? They are still talking with every customer so it isnt reducing work. Is it really just so they can push incentives to customers thru the app?
I’d guess that’s pretty much the process. Haven’t done it at McDonald’s but I have at chick fil a.
Theoretically it should speed up the process and increase order accuracy. I don’t have to wait until I’m at the window to order. It would especially speed things up if you’re someone who orders the same thing every time- just reorder the last thing. Your payment info is saved, which saves time as well.
On top of that, some people would rather do it that way. Ordering at the window can give you a certain kind of anxiety, especially as a parent ordering for the whole family. Did I get the right sauce with junior’s nuggets? No, sissy wants sprite instead of milk. What did she just ask me? Everybody shut up so I can hear!
I am all for increasing efficiency in the drive through. Most of them are so slow now, especially in Starkville, there’s almost no such thing as fast food anymore.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I occasionally do it when leaving the ball fields with my son. I place the order in the app while I'm at the ballpark. Then we pull into a pickup parking spot and tell the app the # of the stall we are in. Then they walk it out to you. The McDs next to us is usually packed with other families doing the same thing. It usually saves us 5-10 mins. Also, McDs gives pretty solid discounts in their app. I used to think it was more trouble than it was worth, but the process has grown on me.
So that makes sense- pull into a spot and wait for the order to be brought out.
Each time I am talking with the person thats taking my order, who asks if Ill be using the mobile app to order, Im like 'why would I tell you I will use the ordering app if I am right here already talking to you?'.

Yeah, ordering ahead of time on the app makes sense.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Each time I am talking with the person thats taking my order, who asks if Ill be using the mobile app to order, Im like 'why would I tell you I will use the ordering app if I am right here already talking to you?'.

If you've used the app to place your order, it'll give you a code. You can park in the pickup spot like the poster mentioned above, or you can go through the drive-thru. When they ask you that question "will you be using the app today" in the drive thru, you just give them that code and then pull around to the window to get your food. But if you're using the app to do the order, waiting until you're at the drive thru to use it is too late.

Either way you pick up the food though - when you use the app to place your order, they don't actually make/assemble the order until you're at the store waiting for it. So if you park in the designated spot and say "I'm here" in the app, that's the same thing as giving them the code for the order at the drive-thru. Both methods signal to them "customer has arrived, make the order now".

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
On top of that, some people would rather do it that way. Ordering at the window can give you a certain kind of anxiety, especially as a parent ordering for the whole family. Did I get the right sauce with junior’s nuggets? No, sissy wants sprite instead of milk. What did she just ask me? Everybody shut up so I can hear!
Ha, I got uncomfortable just reading this. Hits way too close to home!
My youngest is going into 8th grade and only recently stopped asking me every time we walked into Subway 'what is it that I get again?' even though she has ordered the exact same thing there every time she has ever gone.
And at drivethrus on road trips, she knows where we are going for at least 10 minutes, then we pull up to order and she is like 'what is it that I like here?', which sends her sister into an absolutely over the top rage.

• Love
Reactions: HomeBoyDawg

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
A $5 value meal iI have never ordered thru the McDonalds app, but I have been asked if I am ordering thru the app when I pull up to the drivethru menu to place my order.
My office is next door to a McDonalds, and I've used the app on the rare occasion I go over there. There's a good number of daily deals on there that beat the menu price, which to me seem ideal if you're not ordering a combo. Stuff like $1.49 breakfast sandwich, which can be just about anything, and 2 for 1 on Big Mac/Quarter Pounder.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

You can also give them a code from the app that gives you app discounts but then just order through the person. You can do that inside the store as well. It’s a really dumb question. The question should be “Are you using the app code for a discount on your order today?” I think this would encourage more people to download the app.

I think they ask because this might get you to open the app more often and will increase the odds you use the pre-order option in the future. Plus, opening it more often might increase the chance you choose McDonald’s over competitors.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You can also give them a code from the app that gives you app discounts but then just order through the person. You can do that inside the store as well. It’s a really dumb question. The question should be “Are you using the app code for a discount on your order today?” I think this would encourage more people to download the app.

I think they ask because this might get you to open the app more often and will increase the odds you use the pre-order option in the future. Plus, opening it more often might increase the chance you choose McDonald’s over competitors.
I like the app because you can repeat your last order. Since it's usually me and my son, it makes it easy.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I like the app because you can repeat your last order. Since it's usually me and my son, it makes it easy.
I have the Sonic app for that reason and the 1/2 off happy hour drinks all day. I do the same with a few other restaurant apps.

I don’t use the McDonald’s app but I know that’s what they are trying to do with the question at the drive thru from riding with others who are ordering there. Give them the code if you don’t want to order in the app. For me, I’d much rather pull into a pickup spot, place my order, and then say I’m there than talk over the drive thru microphone. This is even if no one is in line.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I have the Sonic app for that reason and the 1/2 off happy hour drinks all day. I do the same with a few other restaurant apps.

I don’t use the McDonald’s app but I know that’s what they are trying to do with the question at the drive thru from riding with others who are ordering there. Give them the code if you don’t want to order in the app. For me, I’d much rather pull into a pickup spot, place my order, and then say I’m there than talk over the drive thru microphone. This is even if no one is in line.
Sonic pissed me off the other day. They are currently doing a 1/2 off deal for shakes after 7 with their app. It was a great deal until I discovered my Sonic closes at 6 Friday through Monday.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: DerHntr

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
My office is next door to a McDonalds, and I've used the app on the rare occasion I go over there. There's a good number of daily deals on there that beat the menu price, which to me seem ideal if you're not ordering a combo. Stuff like $1.49 breakfast sandwich, which can be just about anything, and 2 for 1 on Big Mac/Quarter Pounder.

When my wife was pregnant that app saved me loads of money with the $1 breakfast sandwich deal.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Tangential: there was a great thread on Twitter a couple weeks ago where some guy dove in deep on how McDonald's pricing makes absolutely no sense:

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
A $5 value meal in 2024-

I don’t go to McDonald’s, but articles I’ve seen say they want the $5 meals to be a loss leader to increase traffic. For other fast food places I almost always use the app though, you can have the food ordered and ready before you get there, and theres almost always $5 off deals in the apps. like someone mentioned it gives 1/2 off drinks at Sonic all day. At Sonic I’ll pull up, order on the app, then immediately press ‘I’m here’, for a family ordering slushes it saves $5 every time.

Reactions: kired

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Agree. Ordering through the McD's app is quick and easy, after you use it a few times. I always order through the app when I go to McD's.

You can pick up your order 3 different ways:
- at the pickup parking spot, where they walk it out to you;
- via the drive through, where you tell them your mobile order number and then pull up to the window to pick it up; or
- go inside and pick it up at the countertop.

When you order through the app, you also pay for your order in the app. Thus, you don't have to go through the process of paying for your food when you pick it up.

Also, as 360 indicates, the McD's app always has some nice discounts.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I haven't been to a fast food restaurant (inside or the drive through) in probably close to two decades. My kids laugh now and tell me they thought we were poor because I wouldn't go somewhere to get them a kids meal. I'll go in a Subway or a Chipotle but that's it. McDonald's could offer free food for life using the app and I wouldn't eat that crap, I've had 1 heart attack already

Reactions: 85Bears

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
A $5 value meal in 2024-

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
A $5 value meal in 2024-

Trumps dinner at Mar largo tonight ****

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Best value meal at McD's:
2 McDoubles or 2 McChickens or 1 of each (buy 1 get 1 for $1): $2.49 + $1.00
1 large drink: $1.59
Medium fry using the app: $0
Total: $5.08

(Note: This will make your butt big but after only 3 of these, you'll have enough points for a free cheeseburger and large diet coke for $1.59 total.)

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I still say there needs to be a fast food place where you have extremely limited options. Focused solely on speed.

You can get a single or double burger, chicken sandwich, or nuggets. If you want a meal, there is one size of fries and one size of drink. No customization at all. All burgers are dressed the same. Every bag come with 2 ketchups and chicken comes with honey mustard.

Kind of like little ceasars used to be. One cheese, one pep, and a 2 liter mt dew. In & out in 60 seconds

Reactions: Dawg1976

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I still say there needs to be a fast food place where you have extremely limited options. Focused solely on speed.

You can get a single or double burger, chicken sandwich, or nuggets. If you want a meal, there is one size of fries and one size of drink. No customization at all. All burgers are dressed the same. Every bag come with 2 ketchups and chicken comes with honey mustard.

Kind of like little ceasars used to be. One cheese, one pep, and a 2 liter mt dew. In & out in 60 seconds
Sounds like the airport.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Tangential: there was a great thread on Twitter a couple weeks ago where some guy dove in deep on how McDonald's pricing makes absolutely no sense:

I’ve got a friend that is doing Keto and he took his kids to McDonalds and asked for a Double Quarter pounder with no bun. He said it ended up being $2.50. Apparently they are procuring some expensive *** Buns, Ketchup, Mustard, Onions, and Pickles to make up for the other $5 a regular DQP cost.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

In the 90s there was a place in Hattiesburg called something like “Chicken Box”. You could order the small box or the big box. It was tenders, fries, and a drink. There was no deviation and it was really fast. If they had been decent quality with some ideas of expansion, they could have been what Cane’s is today. Instead, a bunch of stoners were behind the counter working.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I have to say ordering through the app is the one flaw in the Chick-Fil-A experience. You can't order in the app for someone else to pick up without some sort of agita because it relies on you having your phone in the physical restaurant's location before it 'checks' you in and actually begins the order. Also, half the time, I can't get it to find the actual restaurant closest to me.

But yeah, let's dedicate one empty lane to this.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
In the 90s there was a place in Hattiesburg called something like “Chicken Box”. You could order the small box or the big box. It was tenders, fries, and a drink. There was no deviation and it was really fast. If they had been decent quality with some ideas of expansion, they could have been what Cane’s is today. Instead, a bunch of stoners were behind the counter working.
When I was in Hattiesburg, the two major chicken places were Bailey's and Coop Deville. Coop Deville was in a gas station and had fantastic chicken sandwiches. Bailey's was basically what Cane's is today, but you could buy drugs there... allegedly.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
When I was in Hattiesburg, the two major chicken places were Bailey's and Coop Deville. Coop Deville was in a gas station and had fantastic chicken sandwiches. Bailey's was basically what Cane's is today, but you could buy drugs there... allegedly.
Maybe that’s what it was called, Bailey’s. Coop was the ****.

I was drunk when I went to Bailey’s and remember the limited options but did not buy the drugs.

• Haha
Reactions: MSUDOG24 and Dawgg

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
I have to say ordering through the app is the one flaw in the Chick-Fil-A experience. You can't order in the app for someone else to pick up without some sort of agita because it relies on you having your phone in the physical restaurant's location before it 'checks' you in and actually begins the order. Also, half the time, I can't get it to find the actual restaurant closest to me.

But yeah, let's dedicate one empty lane to this.
Bro, you just gotta scroll down and hit “I’m already at the restaurant” and then “prepare my order”. Works like a charm.

Is this the place to brag about signature status and 5-digit reward point balance??

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I use the app for every restaurant that offers an app. It saves you money.

Chick fila probably has the best rewards system. You can use your points on everything in your order if you want. The CFA in Southaven has a mobile ordering only drive thru lane. It’s like the Fast Pass of fast food.

McDonald’s limits you to using your points on selected items but they do offer quite a few deals daily. I use the 1.50 breakfast sandwich one all the time.

Sonic half price drinks all day is a great deal.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I can’t even find the apps I want on my phone when I need them . I can’t imagine having to swipe through an app for every fast food restaurant just to convert ml to oz!

Reactions: MSUDOG24

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Teach your kids about money. If you don’t you don’t understand money well enough to teach them, learn along side them.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login