Inside The Soon-To-Be Renovated Humphrey Coliseum

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013

Glimpse into the future and get a preview of the new-look Hump.

More...

**These are automatic feeds from a Joel T. (Woo) Coleman Hail State RSS Feed. It reads from that feed and automatically posts new articles.**

Dawg496

Feb 18, 2014
I gotta say this is Vaught-Hemmingway quality pig lipstick. We need to build a new arena. Nothing about this one seems exciting to me.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes let’s build a new arena for the 4000 people tops that come to basketball. That ship has sailed. Just fix up what is there now with better seating and concessions.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Love how the second rendering in the body of the article basically looks like the concourse as it exists now.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Didn’t Cohen say you would be able to see the game from anywhere in the concourse last week? Bc that pic just beheaded that claim.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think he said you would see it when you walk in the door. Not from anywhere. Im just wondering who thought it was a good idea to draw up that angle.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Alabama's new arena has about 3/4 circumference of the lower area reserved for students, with bleacher seats instead of chairbacks since the students never sit down anyway. Maybe we should consider something similar.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In fairness they dont need basketball money so they can do that. Additionally by building a new arena they can build premium around that and make it enticing to alums

Last edited by a moderator:

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Based on our attendance and the fact that we actually still have a team...

I don't know if we need basketball money either....

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
I’m far from qualified to do this but let me try to address several things in this thread.
- Just Phase 1 of this project (which is primarily what is discussed in the article) has a $50 million budget. It’s far from lipstick on a pig.
- There will be parts of the concourse that look at least somewhat similar to now. This is a renovation, not a total 100% gutting. So yes, some places will look familiar but even the familiar looking spots will be improved.
- It’s at the entrances where you’ll have the large openings and be able to see the bowl from the entrance/concourse. It’s not a 360-degree thing where you can see the court all the way around.
- On timing, remember Phase 1 isn’t scheduled to be completed until the beginning of the 2023-24 season. Work starts immediately after this season but it’s not scheduled to be done for about a year and a half.
- Phase 2 timing is TBD. And while much of it won’t be seen unless you’re a player/coach/etc, it is set to be a tremendous upgrade.
- Not renovation related, but as for why this article read the RSS feed and posted twice on the board, I have no idea.
- What is renovation related, go back and check out our Dear Ol State pod with Cohen. He answered a lot of stuff not covered in the article, including the popular reseating questions.
- That’s all I’ve got for now. By the way, thanks to all of you that continue to read articles or listen to Dear Ol State podcasts. It really is much appreciated.
- One more thing… Hail State! (Or Go Dawgs! Whichever you prefer)

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Remember when we made fun of The Tad Pad for sucking? Well, the worm has turned. That's one of the worst facilities in the SEC and it screws up the baseball field area we spent a gazillion on.
Just shows we're completely fine with sucking, because if basketball was good, people would show up.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
But the engineers told Cohen that we have the best seating in the country and it would be a crime to build a new arena***

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
My exact thoughts when I saw that render: "WT17 thought it was as good idea to show this picture?"

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
Alabama's new arena has about 3/4 circumference of the lower area reserved for students, with bleacher seats instead of chairbacks since the students never sit down anyway. Maybe we should consider something similar.

Cohen was on Joel T Coleman's podcast recently and Joel explicitly asked him about the student seating. Cohen basically told him that alumni would get priority over the students.
Here's the link

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
And they have the Pavilion now and still suck, 13-15 and 4-11 SEC. And you're 100% right about "if basketball was good people would show up", regardless of the arena but a silk purse is better than a sows ear. Until there is a winning program though why is there a need to spend a "gaxillion" on an arena because it doesn't do jack shat to make the team better? "Build it and they will come" was a myth in a movie. We haven't been relevant in close to 2 decades and don't deserve a quality arena

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login