Interesting article on sharks (and Orcas) in Destin

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Are they insinuating that not actively managing the population of apex predators known to attack humans by specifically harvesting some of the predator population in a scientifically controlled manner may lead to more humans being attacked?
Hmmm, I wonder if the same could happen with grizzly bears? Nah, no way.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Are they insinuating that not actively managing the population of apex predators known to attack humans by specifically harvesting some of the predator population in a scientifically controlled manner may lead to more humans being attacked?
Hmmm, I wonder if the same could happen with grizzly bears? Nah, no way.
Can't we all just get along?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Maybe the two females were ovulating. Apparently, sharks are perverts. Just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
GIF by Sharknado 2

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is only sort of related, but has anybody else been dumb enough to look at the comment sections on some of the posts or stories about the shark attacks?

I'm sure a lot of them are bots, but it astounding how many people feel the need to comment some variation of:
- the ocean is the shark's home
- it wasn't a shark attack because the victims were the ones invading the shark's home
- why are people surprised that sharks eat things in the ocean
- etc.

Really just an amazing number of miserable humans or bots trained by miserable humans. I can at least understand the stupidity that results in beliefs along the lines of we shouldn't manage shark populations but some of the other stupidity is just unfathomable.

ETA: I know it was stupid looking at the comments but thought instagram and facebook posts from south walton beach accounts might have local knowledge in the comments.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"ETA: I know it was stupid looking at the comments but thought instagram and facebook posts from south walton beach accounts might have local knowledge in the comments."
That's why I posted this. I thought it was pretty good and I know a lot of us have gone down there for years and I found the part about the Orcas to be very interesting....I had no idea.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
"ETA: I know it was stupid looking at the comments but thought instagram and facebook posts from south walton beach accounts might have local knowledge in the comments."
That's why I posted this. I thought it was pretty good and I know a lot of us have gone down there for years and I found the part about the Orcas to be very interesting....I had no idea.
The orca thing is crazy. I’ve never heard of that before.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Dupe Manhattanites into thinking Bullshark Fin Soup is the next best cuisine. Problem solved.
Hell, just let them dump them into cat food. Not sure how bad the mercury would be for them though, but cats are already crazy.

I am kind of surprised we can't get a viable commercial bull shark market just by selling bull shark fins and dongs and other weird **** into asia.

Reactions: BIGDAWG44

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not much in the water would scare me more than a pod of mature killer whales. Those suckers are assassins of the sea & smart.
Scary thing about the Orcas. They don't want to eat you, but they may kill you just for fun. They'll often just toss a baby seal back and forth between each other for hours just for fun. And one pod off of Gibralter has decided that attacking and sinking boats is fun.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Scary thing about the Orcas. They don't want to eat you, but they may kill you just for fun. They'll often just toss a baby seal back and forth between each other for hours just for fun. And one pod off of Gibralter has decided that attacking and sinking boats is fun.
Crazy. Is the Gibraltar thing legit? I thought I saw something saying it was not. I don’t know. If they want to kill or sink you, they will

patdog

May 28, 2007
It is legit, just watched a news cast where it stated they have sank 5 boats and attacked the rudders on over 40 boats. One yacht was 50'.
One theory on why they do it is their food is plentiful, so they don't have to spend as much time hunting, killing & eating prey. So they have a lot more time to kill. Essentially, they get bored and this is what they do for fun. Hopefully, other pods don't pick up this habit.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Mostly related - it always amazes me that people defend sharks so much. I remember about 10 years ago on Shark Week, they talked to the WW2 suriviors of a battleship that went down in the Pacific. The survivors were all saying that the sharks kept coming back to feed on the soldiers that were in the water, and how terrible it was. THEN, they switched to a shark "expert" who kept insisting that sharks "do not eat people" naturally. And nobody asks the experts "well then why did they keep coming back to eat the people???"
I also think it's interesting that the boat captain, from the Destin news story, points out that sharks aren't endangered anymore. I had never read this before. Sometimes it takes an actual person to point this stuff out, instead of listening to the "experts" who claim otherwise. Once the public hears that a species is endangered, we just assume it never changes, and the news never reports otherwise.... Sigh...

Reactions: LADog

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Mostly related - it always amazes me that people defend sharks so much. I remember about 10 years ago on Shark Week, they talked to the WW2 suriviors of a battleship that went down in the Pacific. The survivors were all saying that the sharks kept coming back to feed on the soldiers that were in the water, and how terrible it was. THEN, they switched to a shark "expert" who kept insisting that sharks "do not eat people" naturally. And nobody asks the experts "well then why did they keep coming back to eat the people???"
You are about to learn all you wanna know about the USS Indianapolis my friend. 40-60 year old dudes can go EXTENDED on this topic, and this board is chock full of 'em

1718223249489.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hdogg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I also think it's interesting that the boat captain, from the Destin news story, points out that sharks aren't endangered anymore. I had never read this before. Sometimes it takes an actual person to point this stuff out, instead of listening to the "experts" who claim otherwise. Once the public hears that a species is endangered, we just assume it never changes, and the news never reports otherwise.... Sigh...
Worldwide in 2023, there were 69 shark attacks on humans and 14 fatalities. I doubt the shark actually ate any of the fatalities.

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
Was talking with a commercial shark fisherman here in Gulf Shores. Asked him how far out they had to go to fish. He said they never go more than a couple miles offshore and fill up the boat every time they go. Caught two 600 pound sharks in one night. I called BS until he showed me the video of them landing them. Ship the sharks to New York where people eat a lot of shark.

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
Uncle flew blackhawks all up and down the coasts and in the Gulf of Mexico. Said the amount of sharks swimming next to people is insane and they have no idea. He won’t ever go in the ocean.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Interesting fact. Cows kill more people than sharks do. This is not deaths from heart disease and the like, this is straight up killing them.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

"1100 men went into the water... 316 men come out. Sharks took the rest."

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
We've seen several big bull sharks within 50 yards of the beach this week. They are definitely active

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
One theory on why they do it is their food is plentiful, so they don't have to spend as much time hunting, killing & eating prey. So they have a lot more time to kill. Essentially, they get bored and this is what they do for fun. Hopefully, other pods don't pick up this habit.
That’s the opposite of most animal behavior. They generally are more aggressive when hungry. When food is plentiful, they are fat and happy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login