Interesting article on sharks (and Orcas) in Destin

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Are they insinuating that not actively managing the population of apex predators known to attack humans by specifically harvesting some of the predator population in a scientifically controlled manner may lead to more humans being attacked?
Hmmm, I wonder if the same could happen with grizzly bears? Nah, no way.
Bingo! The stories I have heard from Wyoming guides and outfitters about grizzlies are something else and I have spent enough time in the Wyoming backcountry to believe every word of it. One of the most famous lifelong outfitters in Wyoming that I know ( now retired) had a long conversation with one of the suits from Washington making decisions on the protection of grizzlies and offered to take him into the back country and show him how aggressive and and fearless the bears have become and the guy wouldn’t go. He, like many others, is sitting in Washington on his rear end making decisions on, in this case grizzlies, and he doesn’t know squat about them. Lots of similarities between grizzlies and sharks, although with the vastness of the oceans and the shear numbers of sharks, I am not sure how they can be managed, compared to bears where common sense, numbers based, game management could improve the situation pretty quickly and actually put a little natural fear back in the bear population.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That’s the opposite of most animal behavior. They generally are more aggressive when hungry. When food is plentiful, they are fat and happy.
Orcas are pretty highly functioning mammals so being the opposite to the norm isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: patdog

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I've seen several drone videos showing all the sharks swimming around near people and acting like this is something new. I took a helicopter tour along the beach in panama city or fort walton 30+ years ago and was amazed at the number of sharks all around an in the midst of people. There were just as many sharks in water then. It's nothing new

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That’s the opposite of most animal behavior. They generally are more aggressive when hungry. When food is plentiful, they are fat and happy.
I don't think that's the opposite for smarter animals. I was told by a bird trainer that smarter birds get irritable and snappish if they aren't challenged. She said that they have a handful of puzzle toys that hold treats and they use those to keep the birds stimulated. While I'm sure there are plenty of humans that are happy to sit on their *** and collect benefits, it seems a good percentage are unhappy with that and engage in self destructive and socially destructive behaviors when they don't have to work. Same with trust fund babies. Seems like the ones that don't find something engaging that they care about to take up their time seem to do poorly.

Not sure if dolphins have plenty of food but I have been told they are the rapists of the sea, so maybe they don't have to work much for food either.**

Reactions: Darryl Steight

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
On average aren't there like 5 deaths a year from shark attacks? I mean... I surf all along the Texas coast and go out 200+ yards in murky water all the time.. I know hammerheads and bull sharks are all around me but I'm like 20x more likely to die on the commute down there. You're more likely to die in a rip current in FL than anything else...

Also a recent study off the coast of California just showed how often and likely it is that when you're in the water out there that THE apex predator, the great white, is easily within chomping distance.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think that's the opposite for smarter animals. I was told by a bird trainer that smarter birds get irritable and snappish if they aren't challenged. She said that they have a handful of puzzle toys that hold treats and they use those to keep the birds stimulated. While I'm sure there are plenty of humans that are happy to sit on their *** and collect benefits, it seems a good percentage are unhappy with that and engage in self destructive and socially destructive behaviors when they don't have to work. Same with trust fund babies. Seems like the ones that don't find something engaging that they care about to take up their time seem to do poorly.

Not sure if dolphins have plenty of food but I have been told they are the rapists of the sea, so maybe they don't have to work much for food either.**
Yeah. That’s not true at all. There are plenty of reasons animals get aggressive other than hunger.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
On average aren't there like 5 deaths a year from shark attacks? I mean... I surf all along the Texas coast and go out 200+ yards in murky water all the time.. I know hammerheads and bull sharks are all around me but I'm like 20x more likely to die on the commute down there. You're more likely to die in a rip current in FL than anything else...

Also a recent study off the coast of California just showed how often and likely it is that when you're in the water out there that THE apex predator, the great white, is easily within chomping distance.

Sharks don't attack, and then they do. I've been in the water around sharks a couple of times diving and haven't felt threatened or worried at all, but then I saw a video, probably on shark week, where a bunch of sharks were just swimming around each other and being chill and all the sudden one attacked another shark for no reason I could tell, all the sudden there was a frenzy of sharks attacking that one shark, he was torn apart, and then they basically went back to being chill again. I'm assuming there was a cut and delay in there but they showed it as if it was like they calmed down completely in like 5 seconds.

I've only been diving one or twice since then and haven't seen one, but I'm not sure I'd stay in the water if I did after seeing that video. Entirely possible that the film crew somehow instigated that and hid how they did it and how long it took them to get worked up and calmed down, but don't know.

Also so many videos of sharks gently coming up to a diver and being redirected, but if they were really coming at you, all putting a hand up would do is ensure you lose a hand and/or arm rather than taking a bite directly to the body, as I don't think anybody could see and move fast enough in the water to ensure they got their hand on the snout.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Knock yourself out, buddy. I know it's rare, but that won't give that girl her hand and leg back.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Sharks, cows and bears kill fewer women than men do.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sharks, cows and bears kill fewer women than men do.
I understand this is a joke but I do want to make a point - if you consider the amount of time women are around men, and the amount of time they are around sharks, cows and bears, well, that tells a different story.

The short time you spend swimming in the ocean, it's many many many more times dangerous than the rest of your life, as far as shark attacks, than when you aren't. If you spent your entire life in the ocean, or in the cow pasture, or in the woods where bears are, then this might be applicable.

Again, stats are 17ing stupid if you can't apply them.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I understand this is a joke but I do want to make a point - if you consider the amount of time women are around men, and the amount of time they are around sharks, cows and bears, well, that tells a different story.

The short time you spend swimming in the ocean, it's many many many more times dangerous than the rest of your life, as far as shark attacks, than when you aren't. If you spent your entire life in the ocean, or in the cow pasture, or in the woods where bears are, then this might be applicable.

But there were more than a few women who believed men are more dangerous when that dumb tweet about bears went out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But there were more than a few women who believed men are more dangerous when that dumb tweet about bears went out.
They believe what they want to believe.

Butnif there’s not a Bill Burr clip addressing it, it’s WRONG!!!!

#imright.com

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Got one for this too:

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login