Interesting - better football minds explain, please

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I commented on our last game that having Will at wideout pretty much leaves us with 10 men on the field, so the question is why not just sub him off? I'm sure that I'm missing some football nuance that explains this clearly.***

Reference: https://247sports.com/college/missi...as-arizona-southeastern-louisiana--215486412/

Quote: “Will has a go route,” Barbay said laughing. “I just don’t know if we are going to call a go route throw to him.”

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'd like to see Mike on the field for consecutive plays. I'm assuming he will see more schemes for him as the opponents increase in difficulty.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm no great football mind, but someone on the defense has to cover him, so theoretically that makes it 10 v 10. A few other reasons to keep Will in the game when Wright comes in:
1. Throwback to Will for a pass
2. Put both Will and Wright in the backfield and then motion one of them out just before the snap to confuse defense.
3. Will at QB and Wright at WR or RB.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Listening to Matt yesterday that formation used this past weekend could be setting up a play for the next game. They are putting it on film. The TE was covered up and was not considered a receiver. However, if you put someone else in motion the TE becomes eligible to go out for a pass. The defense may not catch it. He also said if you see it and wright goes under center then you will possibly see a throw to Will to pass. Can't run it when in shot gun because it is too hard to throw backwards.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
It’s harder to detect we are making a change at qb for the next play. If will trots off, it’s obvious he won’t be taking the snap and the defensive call will change accordingly. If all you see is Wright trotting on, it could be will taking the snap or it could be Wright.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
There are coaches in every press box with binoculars watching only the substitutions to let the DC know what personnel they are subbing in or out to help the DC make a good call against that personnel grouping.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm no great football mind, but someone on the defense has to cover him, so theoretically that makes it 10 v 10. A few other reasons to keep Will in the game when Wright comes in:
2. Put both Will and Wright in the backfield and then motion one of them out just before the snap to confuse defense.
Yeah, upon reflection 11 v 10 is not a fair statement. It takes one of the positions that could receive the ball and turns it into a position that will not receive the ball, thus reducing our potential ball handlers by 1. I sincerely hope that as the year goes on, defenses eventually turn a blind eye to the possibility of Will getting the ball, ever, and he catches the SEC Championship game winner in Atlanta on a wide open go route.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
No matter who is out there, they have to cover him. If the defense doesn't bring in the correct personnel, you can switch between Wright and Will at the QB position. You could put wright at RB and pitch him the ball and then he has the option to throw it or run it. Hell, he could pitch it back to Will if needed to extend the play to catch one of our receivers open after 8 seconds. Who knows. Soccer on a football field style.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No matter who is out there, they have to cover him. If the defense doesn't bring in the correct personnel, you can switch between Wright and Will at the QB position. You could put wright at RB and pitch him the ball and then he has the option to throw it or run it. Hell, he could pitch it back to Will if needed to extend the play to catch one of our receivers open after 8 seconds. Who knows. Soccer on a football field style.
Yeah but that corners eyes can be in the backfield. He can even cheat towards the play and always recover. Id rather put a legitimate threat out there. I dont think we are going to confuse them bc we have 2 qbs out there. Defenses figure things out pretty quickly pre snap.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Yeah but that corners eyes can be in the backfield. He can even cheat towards the play and always recover. Id rather put a legitimate threat out there. I dont think we are going to confuse them bc we have 2 qbs out there. Defenses figure things out pretty quickly pre snap.
What if Will throws back the throw back and runs a wheel route… I see where this is going now**

1694032514709.gif

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
He will likely never see the defender coming as the corner drops into coverage and a milk truck hits him directly in his throwing shoulder. 17ing real cuckoo birds will fly down and start circling his body.

• Haha
Reactions: L4MANDW

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Let’s not kid ourselves, Will won’t catch the throwback or it will be picked off for a pick 6.

Or, I could see an SEC corner hitting him so hard that he dissipates. I can’t imagine anything but a complete disaster.

A guy who has caught thousands of shotgun snaps can't catch a throwback?

Y'all are funny...

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

Y'all are funny...
It has to do more with dealing with the indians who apparently put a curse on any and all trick plays ever….just certain things MSU cannot do

Along the same lines as “we can not put a WR in the league”

it was written in stone, somewhere below the stadium, long ago.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Let’s not kid ourselves, Will won’t catch the throwback or it will be picked off for a pick 6.

Or, I could see an SEC corner hitting him so hard that he dissipates. I can’t imagine anything but a complete disaster.

Y'all are funny...
It has to do more with dealing with the indians who apparently put a curse on any and all trick plays ever….just certain thinks MSU cannot do

Along the same lines as “we can not put a WR in the league”

it was written in stone, somewhere below the stadium, long ago.

Now this I'm completely on board with.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Listening to Matt yesterday that formation used this past weekend could be setting up a play for the next game. They are putting it on film. The TE was covered up and was not considered a receiver. However, if you put someone else in motion the TE becomes eligible to go out for a pass. The defense may not catch it. He also said if you see it and wright goes under center then you will possibly see a throw to Will to pass. Can't run it when in shot gun because it is too hard to throw.
It’s harder to detect we are making a change at qb for the next play. If will trots off, it’s obvious he won’t be taking the snap and the defensive call will change accordingly. If all you see is Wright trotting on, it could be will taking the snap or it could be Wright.
I think this might be the reason for it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Defenses could put a LB, DE, or some DL on Will and cover him like hot butter on a roll. If we have to resort to using Will as a receiver then we are paying Barbay waaaaay too much money to run the offense.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Defenses could put a LB, DE, or some DL on Will and cover him like hot butter on a roll. If we have to resort to using Will as a receiver then we are paying Barbay waaaaay too much money to run the offense.

If you think the coach's attraction to having him on the field is his ability as a receiver, you might be missing something.

Reactions: woozman

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you think the coach's attraction to having him on the field is his ability as a receiver, you might be missing something.
What "attraction" is there for splitting him out wide, from what we've heard we don't have anyone that can even throw a ball out there to him. If its as a decoy to split a defender out there with him, it makes way more sense to put an actual threat out there. If he's not at QB, he's wasted.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What "attraction" is there for splitting him out wide, from what we've heard we don't have anyone that can even throw a ball out there to him. If its as a decoy to split a defender out there with him, it makes way more sense to put an actual threat out there. If he's not at QB, he's wasted.

He's a threat to throw it after a throwback to him. He's the best threat on the team if that's the plan.

He might be a threat to catch it if they lose him.

Whatever they were doing with him vs SELA, it had nothing to do with SELA.

Maybe nothing comes of it, but maybe it does. We'll see.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He's a threat to throw it after a throwback to him. He's the best threat on the team if that's the plan.

He might be a threat to catch it if they lose him.

Whatever they were doing with him vs SELA, it had nothing to do with SELA.

Maybe nothing comes of it, but maybe it does. We'll see.
That might work once or twice a season? Is it worth tossing away a skill position 10 times a season for the possibility of a single success? 20? I'm not sure that the odds of that working in a way that makes a ton of difference for our season are worth throwing away a skill player that many times. I'm also on board with being completely wrong and getting this thread resurfaced at the time that happens.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That might work once or twice a season? Is it worth tossing away a skill position 10 times a season for the possibility of a single success? 20? I'm not sure that the odds of that working in a way that makes a ton of difference for our season are worth throwing away a skill player that many times. I'm also on board with being completely wrong and getting this thread resurfaced at the time that happens.

Are you saying being the best overall thrower on the team is not a skill position?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Are you saying being the best overall thrower on the team is not a skill position?
I'm saying he ain't a receiver and when he is in a receiver slot, he's stealing a skill position from the field that could contain a player who might be a threat in that position. How many downs you should waste doing such things on the off chance that some trick play works in the future has, I think, been my clear point from the start.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Wright did run the ball 5 times for 95 yards. I know it was SELA but it's not like the play they were running with Wright didn't net positive yards. Will may just be one more thing for the defense to think about. I kinda hope that's the case, because any kind of throwback etc. just feels like the start of a bad de-cleating for our starting QB.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm saying he ain't a receiver and when he is in a receiver slot, he's stealing a skill position from the field that could contain a player who might be a threat in that position. How many downs you should waste doing such things on the off chance that some trick play works in the future has, I think, been my clear point from the start.

I see it as putting two QBs with completely different skill sets on the field at the same time occasionally. A defense has to prepare for it and account for both guys. It's an interesting wrinkle.

I'm done.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I see it as putting two QBs with completely different skill sets on the field at the same time occasionally. A defense has to prepare for it and account for both guys. It's an interesting wrinkle.

I'm done.
fair enough. I admittedly didn't claim to be "right" about my opinion and I hope that it does something great for us at least once this year. I'm more than happy to eat crow on it and admit that I had a crappy opinion. Me knowing absolutely nothing about coaching football almost assures me that I'm missing something compelling.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login