Interesting NIL from Florida.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
That's disgusting. That has nothing to do with NIL and I hope he wins the case. That was a straight up exploitative loan under the guise of an NIL deal.
We'll give you 500K, you give us 15% of future earnings for 25 years. Player was dumb for doing it but it seems he's got a strong case for it being illegal.

DesertDawg

Feb 13, 2017
Definitely exploiting the player. Just curious how many schools are using this same deal as their NIL.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I honestly don’t feel that bad for him. He was greedy, needed that $436K “right now” and in exchange gave up 15% of his pre-tax (oof) NFL earnings. Also the name of the company is Big League ADVANCE. We have got to stop coddling these student-athletes. There are consequences for bad decisions.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I honestly don’t feel that bad for him. He was greedy, needed that $436K “right now” and in exchange gave up 15% of his pre-tax (oof) NFL earnings. Also the name of the company is Big League ADVANCE. We have got to stop coddling these student-athletes. There are consequences for bad decisions.

I agree he was an idiot but laws were passed because everyone knew crooked agents would try this kind of crap and poor college kids would sign anything for some quick cash. How many college kids get in trouble with a credit card they signed up for to get a free shirt?

I'd force him to give back the loan amount while at the same time charging the "agents".

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
How many more of their NIL deals may be in violation of state law? Things that make you go hmmmm.

DesertDawg

Feb 13, 2017
Big League Advantage shows two players from Arkansas,1-LSU, 1-Georgia among others. It’s clearly an advance on future earning potential but why did they market it as NIL? Very predatory lending feel to their model.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Just wait until a few of them discover it doesn't cover other leagues and switch to the CFL just to spite them.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I guess I’m confused. They risked giving him $500k and he accepted their terms. Now that he hit it big he wants to not pay them off? Wtf? It was dumb of him to sign 15% of his future earnings, but he did it.

How is this going to go in his favor.

Sounds to me like they took a business risk and this one paid off.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
That's disgusting. That has nothing to do with NIL and I hope he wins the case. That was a straight up exploitative loan under the guise of an NIL deal.
We'll give you 500K, you give us 15% of future earnings for 25 years. Player was dumb for doing it but it seems he's got a strong case for it being illegal.

15% aint bad since his lawyer may take 33%**

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I guess I’m confused. They risked giving him $500k and he accepted their terms. Now that he hit it big he wants to not pay them off? Wtf? It was dumb of him to sign 15% of his future earnings, but he did it.

FL passed laws making this illegal (or tried to), apparently there's some ambiguity in the law so who knows. If a dirty lawyer agent can find a loophole you know they will, and may have.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

Had the same confusion - From what I could make of it from the article, the issue is they called that 500K NIL money. Maybe that gets them around some other issues like having an agent as a college player or whatnot. That in turn violated Florida's NIL laws, so we're were we are now.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
If they had not called it NIL, would this be illegal?

Also, would it have been against the previous NCAA rules before NIL?

This is some creative, sleazy check cashing level shi t.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They do it for baseball players. Really not a bad deal. Players get a guaranteed payday and their “bad” scenario is they make it big and are not quite as rich but still very rich.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login