Interesting

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've been telling yall this for years.

If you want to make this thing a business and pay players from the schools, then boosters will have to fund non-revenue sports, or they will be cut.

It's not a good idea. Everyone who understands is screaming this, but no one is listening.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
How much additional revenue is our institution bringing in from football and basketball?
Does it cover the deficit in our other sports?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Byrne was literally speaking to a congressional committee when he said this. They are listening. There is bipartisan support to create legislation to fix this NIL mess.
Wrong. They aren't listening. He is saying it's a bad idea to pay players from the football revenue. It is Saban that is saying that he thinks they should, because HE PERSONALLY didn't like dealing with paying the players and the collectives in general. He's just giving it lip service. Byrne needs to tell Saban to STFU and quit being a hypocrite. Saban is really acting like he didn't know players have been paid for 50 years through boosters. It's part of the game.

They want them to fix NIL. Not make players employees or give them a piece of the revenue, but this is what's going to happen if they allow the government to fix things. In my opinion, they need to just quit bltching, accept things, and find ways to innovate.

Last edited:

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Football and basketball are part of the SEC network revenue sharing. Baseball isn’t part of that agreement and therefore will continue to be a non revenue sport. Again. Invest less in baseball.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
How much additional revenue are football and basketball bringing in? do we have that figure?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
laying the groundwork for eliminating football scholarships and ultimately no revenue sports and still be in compliance with title 9

^ This.

Making football a business and letting everyone else fin for themselves... is where its headed and what Bryne is trying to say.

I dont know or care if they are listening.. but thats the read b/t the lines message.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Byrne was literally speaking to a congressional committee when he said this. They are listening. There is bipartisan support to create legislation to fix this NIL mess.
I’m not sure what even Congress can do to fix it. The courts are just going to overrule it. One huge flaw in the US Constitution is there is no effective check or balance on the judicial branch.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
^ This.

Making football a business and letting everyone else fin for themselves... is where its headed and what Bryne is trying to say.

I dont know or care if they are listening.. but thats the read b/t the lines message.
how many men basketball and baseball scholarships are there - 25 together? women’s volleyball may be on the chopping block. we blow up the entire student athletics model over the 10% that had very little interest in attending college. once again the minority screw up everything for the majority

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Translation: "Football drives the bus, so shut and sit down."
translation - we have to dump more of the private bank slush funds into football to compete, so other teams will have to wear last years dirty jerseys

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
how many men basketball and baseball scholarships are there - 25 together? women’s volleyball may be on the chopping block. we blow up the entire student athletics model over the 10% that had very little interest in attending college. once again the minority screw up everything for the majority
Right if you pull football.

Basically to get back into compliance. Youd have to add something like Soccer and/or Cross Country for the men. Or Eliminate a sport like Rowing for the women, and reduce to amount of cholarships womens sports recieve. I mean currently the womens cross country team gets 18 full scholarships, and the rowing team gets 20.

It wont be that hard to get into compliance. But it will take either add a male sport or two, or all female athletes wont be on free rides anymore

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
BINGO

But on the plus side, how funny will it be to see the look on the faces of all those baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball (or whatever sports are cut) travel parents who dumped money for years into little Johnny's/Suzie's club teams.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
BINGO

But on the plus side, how funny will it be to see the look on the faces of all those baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball (or whatever sports are cut) travel parents who dumped money for years into little Johnny's/Suzie's club teams.
Yeah….hilarious.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m not sure what even Congress can do to fix it. The courts are just going to overrule it. One huge flaw in the US Constitution is there is no effective check or balance on the judicial branch.
And I'll just add that the courts don't have any responsibility to tell you how to navigate through the results of their decisions. They're just going to make a decision and then let you figure out the rest

Reactions: patdog

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
How much additional revenue is our institution bringing in from football and basketball?
Does it cover the deficit in our other sports?
Is the tv/sec revenue broken out by sport when the check comes or is it all lumped together?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Especially when people start to realize that this doesn't just affect a kid's ability to play sports in college. It affects their ability to go to college in a lot of cases
I agree with you. That said, it's not like a scholly is a lock today, especially in baseball. This calculus should absolutely already be factored in. If you're putting your kid's entire college fund (and likely, much more) into travel baseball, that's probably a poor decision.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Congress cannot fix it. At this point I’m confident the Supreme Court will rule any law as unconstitutional that serves to limit how much athletes can make or what school they can attend.

Our lawmakers might be corrupt to their core but they’re not stupid. They’ve watched the NCAA asskicking being handed down in court time and again. If they could figure out a way to put a halt to it and make a profit for themselves… they would have already done it.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Football and basketball are part of the SEC network revenue sharing. Baseball isn’t part of that agreement and therefore will continue to be a non revenue sport. Again. Invest less in baseball.
NO! State could spend every nickel from Academics, Research & Development and ALL non-revenue budgets and still would be a 7-5 to 8-4 average Football program and a middle of the pack Basketball program.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah….hilarious.
I agree with you. That said, it's not like a scholly is a lock today, especially in baseball. This calculus should absolutely already be factored in. If you're putting your kid's entire college fund (and likely, much more) into travel baseball, that's probably a poor decision.
And that is why I absolutely laugh at the people that do it.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Right if you pull football.

Basically to get back into compliance. Youd have to add something like Soccer and/or Cross Country for the men. Or Eliminate a sport like Rowing for the women, and reduce to amount of cholarships womens sports recieve. I mean currently the womens cross country team gets 18 full scholarships, and the rowing team gets 20.

It wont be that hard to get into compliance. But it will take either add a male sport or two, or all female athletes wont be on free rides anymore

All female athletes are definitely not on free rides, at least not full scholarships if that's what you meant.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
All female athletes are definitely not on free rides, at least not full scholarships if that's what you meant.
Yes i realize. was a figure of speech. Minus football though, sports for sport, womens sports do get more scholarships. Therefore, if football were to leave, either those scholarships would have to even out back in favor of the men.

Examples:
Womens track and cross country both gets 18, mens 12.6
Womens basektball gets 15, mens 13
Womens swim 14, mens 10
Womens golf 6, men 4

All that would have to shift back to equal. Meaning mens sports would get more scholarships or women less. Currently there isnt a single sport outside of football where a male sport gets more scholarships than a female... and there are more scholarship female sports than males offered as well.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
For example at MSU alone: Minus football

There are 5 male sports offered: They get 46. 3 scholarships
There are 8 female sports offered: They get 103 scholarships

There would be a need for a huge shift to be in compliance

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes i realize. was a figure of speech. Minus football though, sports for sport, womens sports do get more scholarships. Therefore, if football were to leave, either those scholarships would have to even out back in favor of the men.

Examples:
Womens track and cross country both gets 18, mens 12.6
Womens basektball gets 15, mens 13
Womens swim 14, mens 10
Womens golf 6, men 4

All that would have to shift back to equal. Meaning mens sports would get more scholarships or women less. Currently there isnt a single sport outside of football where a male sport gets more scholarships than a female... and there are more scholarship female sports than males offered as well.
It's going to be women getting less (unless they find some way to link Title 9 to the scholarship free-less football separate entity somehow). UNLESS.....the men's sports are less profitable than the women's, then they'll just 17 over the men.

Sports will get cut, because I'll tell you how this plays out. Boosters aren't going to move their NIL donations to the non-revenue sports. They are going to keep buying football and basketball players, along with the TV money.

We aren't just going to freely subsidize this stuff, that's what I've been trying to tell everyone. It's not going to be like you think. And even if we did subsidize, most schools won't, so you won't have anyone to play.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
It's going to be women getting less (unless they find some way to link Title 9 to the scholarship free-less football separate entity somehow). UNLESS.....the men's sports are less profitable than the women's, then they'll just 17 over the men.

Sports will get cut, because I'll tell you how this plays out. Boosters aren't going to move their NIL donations to the non-revenue sports. They are going to keep buying football and basketball players, along with the TV money.

We aren't just going to freely subsidize this stuff, that's what I've been trying to tell everyone. It's not going to be like you think. And even if we did subsidize, most schools won't, so you won't have anyone to play.
I agree it's the only way it can go and it's terrible. There are a lot of students out there majoring in sports management, kinesiology, etc who planned on coaching in college whose degrees would be wasted at that point. Football wouldn't survive any of this either I don't believe, who would care anymore?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The people driving the train of "pay the players" didn't go to business school and it shows.

Once football escapes Title IX, it's game over for the current model and women's sports are going to suffer.

Law of unintended consequences and whatnot.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Want it fixed. Close the portal.

Once the portal happened, college athletics changed. Now its a rat race.

NIL isnt the problem. The portal is.
We should also tell everyone post graduation they can’t ever change jobs, or maybe allow them to change only once

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
NO! State could spend every nickel from Academics, Research & Development and ALL non-revenue budgets and still would be a 7-5 to 8-4 average Football program and a middle of the pack Basketball program.
That user name gives you away. And guess what we can and have proven we can win in football and we are about to go to the NCAAT second year in a row. You are part of the problem not believing or not seeing we can and will win in football. You loungers and DNFers can’t come to grips that your sport doesn’t do anything for us .

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login