Is Bronny James the worst case of Sports nepotism ever?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There have been many players that have had generational representation in professional sports. I am sure it gives a leg up to some people to have had someone from their family play sports professionally, but I can't think of a case where it so obvious the only reason the kid gets a chance is because of that.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I can’t think of another this glaring. Idk why the Lakers are bending the knee to LeBron this much. He’s not good enough to carry the team anymore like he used to and the Lakers have been crap the past couple years. This is a naked attempt to keep him from opting out of his contract.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There have been many players that have had generational representation in professional sports. I am sure it gives a leg up to some people to have had someone from their family play sports professionally, but I can't think of a case where it so obvious the only reason the kid gets a chance is because of that.
That has actually been a long time complaint of mine for State. There have been so many good Bulldog Baseball players that have had their kids play on scholarship at other places and some of the kids were very good. It almost seems like State is anti-nepotism. I have talked to a few of the dad's and they all said that State just didn't show interest.

I even asked Coach Johnson about Mark Gillaspie's kid, who ended up playing some Major league ball, why he passed on Connor. He said that he talked to Mark about him. He said Mark said he was pretty good and kind of left it there. I said to coach, that with Mark's humble demeanor that "If Mark said he was pretty good, then that meant he was great."

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Agreed. It’s especially embarrassing from a Lakers perspective- a once proud franchise is being held hostage by a 40 year old player on his way out.

That said, 17 the Lakers.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Part of it is what the owners' incentives are. If they're interested in winning a championship, it's not a good pick. If they're interested in maximizing revenue, maybe it is. It almost surely will drive short term revenue by increasing demand for tickets and merchandise. Question is whether it'll hurt long term revenue by making them a bad team.

Reactions: dog12

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agreed. It’s especially embarrassing from a Lakers perspective- a once proud franchise is being held hostage by a 40 year old player on his way out.

That said, 17 the Lakers.
The Lakers died when Dr. Jerry died. I loved them back then but his kids are 17ing idiots. He must be rolling over in his grave at the way they've run the franchise.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Based on his production in college and his measurables, its pretty absurd to see Bronny drafted.
At the same time, its not like the Lakers would have otherwise drafted someone that would be projected to even make the team, much less get court time.

So from that perspective, the Lakers are no worse off than if they had drafted any number of other options with their 55th pick.
A 55th pick doesnt get guaranteed money, so the Lakers arent out that. An undrafted player that has demand(so ones that would have gone about 61st-75th) can choose which teams they play for in summer league, so they actually often times have MORE options compared to someone drafted 50th-60th.

TLDR - Its a dumb draft pick that cost the Lakers nothing to do.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not even close.

Erik Watts is still the leader of sports nepotism.

IMG_3083.jpeg

(You thought I was going to say the Von Erichs, right?)

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Was thinking for sure he would go play in China.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The WORST part is all the journos and media outlets praising it. Spinning this into some sort of heartwarming tale instead of a dumb decision caused by a player that has hijacked the organization. A few weeks ago, many of these same outlets were saying there's no way the Lakers would make a decision this dumb, and now they are slobbing on LJ's knob.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The WORST part is all the journos and media outlets praising it. Spinning this into some sort of heartwarming tale instead of a dumb decision caused by a player that has hijacked the organization. A few weeks ago, many of these same outlets were saying there's no way the Lakers would make a decision this dumb, and now they are slobbing on LJ's knob.
Eh.

It’s just a throwaway pick to ensure that LeBron (still a top 20 player) stays with the Lakers.

Low risk.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

It's stupid to see from a conversational perspective, but I really struggle to see how it is dumb from a draft perspective.

Who should the Lakers have drafted instead? Who at that point would they have benefitted in drafting, given the expected returning roster?
Who did they pass on that we know will hurt them not to have moving forward?

I can see a legitimate argument that it is dumb to do because it shows the organization lacks power. But that isn't new and that's been known for years across the league- star players have power and get coaches fired or power to be traded.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Like him or not LBJ is one of the most powerful people in the NBA. It happens all the time in business, an executive hires their inept son, daughter, nephew...., rich alumni pushes university to accept their unqualified kid either academically or athletically...saw both cases when I was in college.
Terrible pick but very predictable, and if he is unqualified he will be exposed as soon as he steps on the court.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1719588515874.png

edited to add: Jr. was the #1 pick overall in 1987 so yes you have to factor in the lower draft pick favoritism of LeBronny into this discussion

And since the Lakers are into drama like the Kardashians now, I will go ahead and share some drama prompts for next season:

1) LeBron passes to LeBronny more than other players: why is he playing favorites with his son???
2) LeBronny has to deal with the shadow of greatness of his father
3) LeBronny is fouled hard and Dad bows up to defend him
4) LeBronny fakes a foul and gets the call just like his Dad
5) LeBronny makes ESPN Top 10 on dunk, look at his Dad all fired up!
6) LeBron draws up plays in the huddle for Reddick that involve him and his son
7) JJ Reddick is paid off on the side to play LeBronny more often
8) LeBronny does not like Reddick and says his Dad basically coaches the team

Last edited:

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
I'm amazed no other team picked Bronny to entice LeBron to join him or hold him hostage to make the Lakers give up some picks or something.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm amazed no other team picked Bronny to entice LeBron to join him or hold him hostage to make the Lakers give up some picks or something.
Lebron is a cash cow and means A LOT to the league (arguably more than anyone). I wouldn't be shocked if Adam Silver insinuated something to owners about not doing that. They want the publicity and for LJ to be happy. I don't blame them.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Pete and Repeat.... i don t think he played but in but a few games ... i just remember having that card as a kid

Nov 25, 2019
That has actually been a long time complaint of mine for State. There have been so many good Bulldog Baseball players that have had their kids play on scholarship at other places and some of the kids were very good. It almost seems like State is anti-nepotism. I have talked to a few of the dad's and they all said that State just didn't show interest.

I even asked Coach Johnson about Mark Gillaspie's kid, who ended up playing some Major league ball, why he passed on Connor. He said that he talked to Mark about him. He said Mark said he was pretty good and kind of left it there. I said to coach, that with Mark's humble demeanor that "If Mark said he was pretty good, then that meant he was great."

what a shame we passed on Connor.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They could have picked him up as a FA. No one was drafting him. LJ just wanted to see his son's name across the scroll.
Fully agree with all this.
But it doesnt change the reality that statistically, it wasnt a dumb pick from a draft perspective because its not like the Lakers missed out on some known future all-star.

If the Lakers had used their 17th pick on Bronny? Yeah that woulda been a dumb pick. 55th though?...meh, show me who they should have picked instead that makes it an obvious dumb pick.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Lebron is a cash cow and means A LOT to the league (arguably more than anyone). I wouldn't be shocked if Adam Silver insinuated something to owners about not doing that. They want the publicity and for LJ to be happy. I don't blame them.
What brand is bigger. LeBron or NBA or Lakers. I'll hang up and listen

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
I can’t think of another this glaring. Idk why the Lakers are bending the knee to LeBron this much. He’s not good enough to carry the team anymore like he used to and the Lakers have been crap the past couple years. This is a naked attempt to keep him from opting out of his contract.
It is exactly an attempt to keep one of the best 10 players in the game on the roster for 2-3 more years. People act like they used a lottery pick to make this work instead of a mid-second rounder. Portland gave up a second round pick for a bag of cash. The Lakers used theirs for a guy that will sit on the end of the bench cheering Dad on.

I don’t know why any team wouldn’t do that.

Reactions: mstateglfr

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
no actual coach wanted that drama, this next season will be nothing short of reality tv
How much drama does the typical guy at the end of the bench cause?

Do you really think LeBron is going to push for playing time?

Aug 22, 2012
I think if a team were smart they would have drafted Bronny ahead of the Lakers, and then got Lebron for next to nothing when he demanded to be traded to said team. I'm still not sure why they wasted a draft pick. They could have just picked him up as a free agent.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
How much drama does the typical guy at the end of the bench cause?

Do you really think LeBron is going to push for playing time?
I think it will come up when he gets playing time - but the drama will be caused by those that live off his name and brand (i.e. the Lakers, ESPN, etc)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login