Is Clemson really that good again? Serious question.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I had a Clemson fan buddy of mine tell me they were back and were going to go all the way now that Georgia woke them up. I agree they are playing better but looking deep into it, their opponents record since the Georgia game is 8-14. Their conference opponents record is 2-8. So I ask, are they really that good again or is it just playing a schedule that is really, really bad. The only ranked team they have left on their schedule is #22 Pitt. So they very well may have a spectacular record but ARE THEY REALLY THAT GOOD AGAIN?
This is not a S Car against Clemson tougher schedule thing, it is legitimate question about how good Clemson really is this year.

ClemDent

Jan 18, 2022
I wish. We are improving but still have a ways to go. Our 2018 or 2016 team would have boat raced FSU last weekend. Instead we settled for SEVEN field goal attempts. I would be ecstatic with a playoff appearance this year, with hopes that next year we will be our opportunity to make a deep run in the playoff.

I also believe however that there aren’t as many potential “elite” programs. While many may be picking up notable transfer portal players here and there, they are also losing depth due to the portal. The ability to stockpile depth was one of the big differentiators in the past between elite and 2nd tier teams.

Last edited:

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
We shall see. During their big run, we constantly dismissed them for only playing a weak ACC schedule, then they beat Bama 2x in national title games.

During their 2x Bama defeats - Let us not forget that in game 1 they won on a last second illegal pick play but the refs swallowed the whistle. (IE: We know Clemson *ALWAYS* cheats - it's who they are)
In game 2 with Bama, the whole team was jacked up on Ostarine - Rumor is Dabo's still looking for the source. (IE: We know Clemson *ALWAYS* cheats - it's who they are)

We should always dismiss them. They're cheaters and not 1 of their Nattys is legit. Not 1. 81' was bought and paid for.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I wish. We are improving but still have a ways to go. Our 2018 or 2016 team would have boat races FSU last weekend. Instead we settled for SEVEN field goal attempts. I would be ecstatic with a playoff appearance this year, with hopes that next year we will be our opportunity to make a deep run in the playoff.

I also believe however that there aren’t as many potential “elite” programs. While many may be picking up notable transfer portal players here and there, they are also losing depth due to the portal. The ability to stockpile depth was one of the big differentiators in the past between elite and 2nd tier teams.
Share your views with your ACC friends on your own site. This question was posed for Carolina fans. Try tiger net.com

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
They haven’t beaten anybody that matters and don’t have anyone on the schedule that matters. Our defense could give them trouble. But yes, they could beat Miami, but don’t see them going far in the playoffs.

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
No. Definitely better than the last two or three years, but not an elite team. But then again, it's not like they were putrid the last three years, just not where they were from 2015-2019. I agree with ClemDent.. happy to see improvement and hope it means a chance for a big season next year.

Klubnik is obviously improving and the offense seems to be grasping Riley's concepts. But a big difference is that we have some playmakers at WR again.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
I wish. We are improving but still have a ways to go. Our 2018 or 2016 team would have boat raced FSU last weekend. Instead we settled for SEVEN field goal attempts. I would be ecstatic with a playoff appearance this year, with hopes that next year we will be our opportunity to make a deep run in the playoff.

Those teams would boat race any team today. Teams are simple not as good as those teams due to the diversity of talent. There is much more parity in college football now due to NIL and the transfer portal. I say they are 3/4 back and can contend with 3/4 of the teams that will be in the playoff.

Reactions: ClemDent

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
They haven’t beaten anybody that matters and don’t have anyone on the schedule that matters. Our defense could give them trouble. But yes, they could beat Miami, but don’t see them going far in the playoffs.
If they beat Miami they only have to win 2 games to make it a the final and one of those games will be against the bottom 4 in the playoff.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
I said after the Georgia game they would win out through the ACC championship game. The ACC is total garbage this year and Clemson is good, not great but good.

They will go into the CFP at 12-1 and may win a first round game but when they hit the legit top tier teams they will have another Georgia game.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
I had a Clemson fan buddy of mine tell me they were back and were going to go all the way now that Georgia woke them up. I agree they are playing better but looking deep into it, their opponents record since the Georgia game is 8-14. Their conference opponents record is 2-8. So I ask, are they really that good again or is it just playing a schedule that is really, really bad. The only ranked team they have left on their schedule is #22 Pitt. So they very well may have a spectacular record but ARE THEY REALLY THAT GOOD AGAIN?
This is not a S Car against Clemson tougher schedule thing, it is legitimate question about how good Clemson really is this year.
Here is what I see. Their two freshman receivers are two of their top receivers and their best deep threats. I think both of them are better than most of their receivers in the past 2-3 years. Their OL play is better than in years, due to coaching. Klubnik is making better decisions than last year. I think they make the playoffs and possibly win 1-2 games. The ball bounces funny, if they got hot they could win it all. No one would have predicted Vandy beating Bama or Arkansas beating Tennessee but it happened. I think Clemson is better than both Vandy and Arkansas but I am not convinced that Riley is better than Petrino at play calling. Several of my Clemson friends say Dabo is letting their Riley call the plays now and not interfering and that is the difference. I can't really say whether that is true or not. It is also true that their competition is recent weeks is not on the Georgia level.

NewberryCocky1997

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Jan 17, 2022
During their 2x Bama defeats - Let us not forget that in game 1 they won on a last second illegal pick play but the refs swallowed the whistle. (IE: We know Clemson *ALWAYS* cheats - it's who they are)
In game 2 with Bama, the whole team was jacked up on Ostarine - Rumor is Dabo's still looking for the source. (IE: We know Clemson *ALWAYS* cheats - it's who they are)

We should always dismiss them. They're cheaters and not 1 of their Nattys is legit. Not 1. 81' was bought and paid for.
At least they win when they cheat. We had a roided up team and couldnt beat fvcking Navy.

• Love
Reactions: I4CtheFuture

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I don't think they are championship contenders. However, who has really separated themselves as title contenders at this point. Georgia has been mediocre since the Clemson game. Alabama just lost to Vandy. Tennessee lost to a 2 loss Arkansas team. Maybe you can say Texas, Ohio State, or Oregon. After that, it is up for grabs IMO.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
I don't think they are championship contenders. However, who has really separated themselves as title contenders at this point. Georgia has been mediocre since the Clemson game. Alabama just lost to Vandy. Tennessee lost to a 2 loss Arkansas team. Maybe you can say Texas, Ohio State, or Oregon. After that, it is up for grabs IMO.
I would agree with this. Texas is probably the best team with OSU and Oregon second and third. This is going to sound funny but Clemson winning it all is probably the best thing for college football in terms of slowing down NIL, the transfer portal madness, and self redshirting. I think Georgia got so worked up to play Clemson that they are dealing with a let down after that game. They are expected to be perfect and up every week which is hard to do.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
I would agree with this. Texas is probably the best team with OSU and Oregon second and third. This is going to sound funny but Clemson winning it all is probably the best thing for college football in terms of slowing down NIL, the transfer portal madness, and self redshirting. I think Georgia got so worked up to play Clemson that they are dealing with a let down after that game. They are expected to be perfect and up every week which is hard to do.
Georgia is not the same Georgia of 2021 and 2022. They were not that good last year but their schedule was deceptively easy. They don't have the special QB, DL or RBs that they had when they went back to back. They are still very good but they are a step below Texas, Bama and probably OSU. Clemson is a pretty big step below Georgia.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
Georgia is not the same Georgia of 2021 and 2022. They were not that good last year but their schedule was deceptively easy. They don't have the special QB, DL or RBs that they had when they went back to back. They are still very good but they are a step below Texas, Bama and probably OSU. Clemson is a pretty big step below Georgia.
I agree Clemson is a big step back from the top teams. Vandy is an even bigger step back but knocked off Alabama. Can you imagine being a Bama fan and spending money to go to Nashville for a weekend of football and fun only to lose the game?

USC95Taneythrill

Feb 20, 2022
They are a good team but nowhere near the great teams from the past. They are playing horrible ACC teams. The top ACC team,Miami, looks average. Clemson will easily make the ACC championship and could win. If they win and make playoff, you will see Clemson is an average team, most likely losing first playoff game.

Wulliecock

Aug 31, 2024
With their Heisman candidate QB, I see them taking the natty

LegalTiger

Jan 26, 2022
I was responding more to the "Clemson is back" portion of the comment. I think the team is certainly playing better, but if "back" means that Clemson is back to being an annual threat to win the Championship, then I disagree and think we have some pieces missing still at this point.

Cockopotomus

Nov 26, 2023
Nobody really knows. They started the season with loss against a good UGA team. Game was competitive for a while but eventually UGA run game wore them down and Clemson's defense has been sus at times this year. Offensively alot has changed from week one including the level of competition. They've beaten none with a pulse. Maybe the Louisville game will show something but it's still only Louisville. Maybe ACC championship against Miami but that's still only Miami. They remind me of the Boise State teams from a decade ago. Just hard to get a handle on due to a weak schedule.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
Their wins have come against the sisters of the poor, most with horrible defenses:
APP State - 2-4
NCST - 3-4
Stanford - 2-4
FSU - 1-5
WF - 2-4

Combined, other than a really good UGA team that blew out CU, these wins are coming against 🐃💩 talent. I think CU is perhaps the best team in the acc. The tallest midget award.

10 wins and 21 losses combined in CU’s wins.

You be the judge based on the above.

Clemson has three teams left on their schedule with a pulse. Louisville, PITT, and USC. Clemson lost convincingly to the only good team they’ve played. The EASY schedule isn’t CU’s fault, the acc is crap, but nevertheless it’s still a cupcake schedule.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
Why? They aren't playing a freshman QB. This is the difference.
Maturity. LaNorris is too talented won't be long before he's there.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
layers deep in Defensive tackles, line backers and DB's, and O linemen.
So yes very good. they can stay in games with just that and average skill guys. However, they have lots of receivers and backs as well.
They just keep reloading DT position. WE need more strength there to make game winning stops at the end of the game.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Their wins have come against the sisters of the poor, most with horrible defenses:
APP State - 2-4
NCST - 3-4
Stanford - 2-4
FSU - 1-5
WF - 2-4

Combined, other than a really good UGA team that blew out CU, these wins are coming against 🐃💩 talent. I think CU is perhaps the best team in the acc. The tallest midget award.

10 wins and 21 losses combined in CU’s wins.

You be the judge based on the above.

Clemson has three teams left on their schedule with a pulse. Louisville, PITT, and USC. Clemson lost convincingly to the only good team they’ve played. The EASY schedule isn’t CU’s fault, the acc is crap, but nevertheless it’s still a cupcake schedule.
which we have seen over the last ten years doesn’t mean anything.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
They are good, not great. Maybe we should just focus on what we need to do to catch up. They don't use the portal. We do. Either we don't use the portal well or it's just not a great idea. We lose a bunch of players to the portal every year. They are one of the best at retaining players. I don't know what the answer is other than to look to the head coach and his philosophy. That may lead us to the problem.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
which we have seen over the last ten years doesn’t mean anything.
We have closed the talent gap substantially the last few years. Ten years ago isn’t relevant now. If we don’t have key injuries between now and our Nov 30 game, we will give them all they want and perhaps then some!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login