Is he in over his head?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I'm just speaking out loud. Not being a downer, but lets look at what's happening.

- we are told we will continue with an air raid. Nobody expected it to be Leach's version. That kept helped keep the class together and the players.

- the minute it comes out we want Briles, 2 QBs bolt. Expected one but not 2.

- With Leach being gone for almost a month (miss that guy already) it seems the plan was Briles and that's it.

What do you guys think?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I'm just speaking out loud. Not being a downer, but lets look at what's happening.

- we are told we will continue with an air raid. Nobody expected it to be Leach's version. That kept helped keep the class together and the players.

- With Leach being gone for almost a month (miss that guy already) it seems the plan was Briles and that's it.

What do you guys think?
Fire Arnett….

Who told you we were going to keep running the air raid? Some dude on Twitter or a msg board?

You pumped sunshine relentlessly with sloppy Joe and Leach no matter how bad the offense looked. And now we have one OC turn Arnett down and you think he’s in over his head.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I think he isnt in over his head. I also think you are handwringing over something that doesnt need handwringing.
No, I think there is cause for a lot of concern when we are talking people like Whipple

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Fire Arnett….

Who told you we were going to keep running the air raid? Some dude on Twitter or a msg board?

You pumped sunshine relentlessly with sloppy Joe and Leach no matter how bad the offense looked. And now we have one OC turn Arnett down and you think he’s in over his head.

It was reported by the staff at 247. This offense won 9 games like it or not.

I never siad he WAS in over his head. I never stated FIRE Arnett. It's called having a conversation Ronnie.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

What do you guys think?
Do you seriously think that "we" are in the know on what the plan is? You get information as it gets released or leaked. Perhaps this means that he is IB level on in control and we will know who it is when he makes a decision.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Do you seriously think that "we" are in the know on what the plan is? You get information as it gets released or leaked. Perhaps this means that he is IB level on in control and we will know who it is when he makes a decision.

Nobody knows what his plan is. All we can go on is what has been done and what is happening/not happening now.

Reactions: drumrcraig

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Certainly used by KB and Sexton, hopefully he learns from this.

He left too much time on the clock when kicking the FG in the bowl, he admitted his mistake and learned from it.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

What do you guys think?

D274FCAF-AFA0-47D3-AA49-9599E953CD86.gif

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Nobody knows what his plan is. All we can go on is what has been done and what is happening/not happening now.
So why start a thread, that can only be taken as negative, asking if he is in over his head because it looks like "the plan was Briles and that's it."? When you are hiring, you work through candidates until they either do, or do not work out. Briles did not work out, so on to the next one, whoever that is. I've never had multiple offers out for a single position.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Who says the QBs left because they heard Briles was coming? Could easily just be a coincidence in the timing. Players should not be making transfer decisions based on Internet rumors.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I never siad he WAS in over his head. I never stated FIRE Arnett. It's called having a conversation Ronnie.
Steve or Paul or whoever on 247 coming out and saying something is a lot different than Arnett saying it. If Arnett came out saying these things, then we saw something that contradicted that, it would be one thing. Somebody on Genespage.com saying it is another.

Reactions: AFDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

I believe that was for the bowl game. There was no school statement what would happen going forward.
I think it was the news about some of the offensive coaches leaving that lead to this not Briles statement.
How do you know that was the only plan. I believe he was the first choice but that's all I got from our push to get him. Don't you think we should have let him know that he was our focus rather than parading other names out there as back ups?
What do you guys think?
We've got time and it is important to make the right decision.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Far too early to make judgment. Let it play out.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So why start a thread, that can only be taken as negative, asking if he is in over his head because it looks like "the plan was Briles and that's it."? When you are hiring, you work through candidates until they either do, or do not work out. Briles did not work out, so on to the next one, whoever that is. I've never had multiple offers out for a single position.

I see what you point is, but I counter that with the known that I posted. It was reported by radio and writers that we would continue with an air raid system, building off the foundation of Leach. That is a known. Then he goes all out after Briles. Briles is not an air raid guy. Then we had an unexpected QB transfer.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Who says the QBs left because they heard Briles was coming? Could easily just be a coincidence in the timing. Players should not be making transfer decisions based on Internet rumors.

No sir. Both Qbs stated tehir reasons for MSU. They want to play in an Air raid offense to prep for the future. It wasn't internet rumors. It was known that we had offered Briles.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I see what you point is, but I counter that with the known that I posted. It was reported by radio and writers that we would continue with an air raid system, building off the foundation of Leach. That is a known. Then he goes all out after Briles. Briles is not an air raid guy. Then we had an unexpected QB transfer.
It's time we had a talk about reporters... :)

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020

What do you guys think?
I think there are many wrong assumptions in this post and to even question whether ZA is "in over his head" at this point is unfair and completely pointless. The guy just took over a program in impossible circumstances and so far we know he held a recruiting class together and won a bowl game. Everything else is second hand internet speculation. Focus on what is real and not on what is theoretical. Certainly going after and missing on a "big name" OC of a fellow SECW school is not an indication that anyone is in over their head. Perspective and reality should account for something even in message board conversations.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Concern over wasnt allowed under leach or Moorhead. Stop being so negative. Hahaha

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

What do you guys think?
You notice wills not in the portal. Will has two years left. Those guys are in the portal because they knew they were not going to play any time soon.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Certainly used by KB and Sexton, hopefully he learns from this.

He left too much time on the clock when kicking the FG in the bowl, he admitted his mistake and learned from it.
I thought we shoulda lined up quick and put the ball in the endzone. But Hey, at least we did getta TD afterall, no? And a post game fight to boot.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Sexton getting ready to negotiate with a rookie HC with no AD.
Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
No sir. Both Qbs stated tehir reasons for MSU. They want to play in an Air raid offense to prep for the future. It wasn't internet rumors. It was known that we had offered Briles.
Even if it was a fact that we offered Briles, do you really think they jumped ship immediately before seeing him announced and talk to El Pirate about the offensive plans for the future? Are they even going to transfer to team that runs an Air Raid?

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
QBs are exploring their options with the uncertainty at OC. They could easily return to State with an Air-raid-like OC hire.

Oct 31, 2014

Well, if it was reported by radio and writers, then I guess Arnett's hands are tied.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Arnett has to change direction. Mike Leach was the maestro of maestros in the Air Raid. Nobody could come close to his effectiveness at calling plays in the pure AR. Even still, we had 6 games where this offense went more than 30 minutes of game time without scoring a TD this year. LSU, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and Illinois shut that offense down for more than half the game.

In the 4 losses this year (all against good defenses) our offense averaged a total of 11 points per game. It looked even worse in the bowl game without Leach... 3 points going into the 4th quarter. Maybe with a strong armed QB that could stretch the field a little further Leach would have had more success over the next couple of years, but tough defenses litter the SEC year in and year out. I don't want to see anyone else even attempt to run Leach's Air Raid in the SEC.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

What do you guys think?
He showed more balls than the last five head coaches combined by not being a Po Ol Mithippi Thate guy and going after a big time guy, and I'll be damned if he almost didn't land him.

We're just fine. And we'll end up with somebody good. This isn't Larry Templeton's athletic department anymore.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
You are telling this guy he is a sunshine pumper and ten say he worries too much. Which is he ? Personally, I am starting to worry. I have seen this movie before.
It’s logical and natural to be worried about the direction of the program, some moves that should have been made and some that shouldn’t.

but dont worry, the shills will be along to tell you exactly what you are supposed to think and ridicule you if have your own opinion. Shape the narrative. It’s to a ridiculous level on the other board.

just let people sound off, it’s not like it’s going to change anything.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

What do you guys think?

"What do you guys think?"

I think you don't know if Briles was a legitimate target or not. Was he really a target or did you assume from all the Jimmy Sexton related smoke that he was. Did you assume that because he may have gotten a phone call asking if he was interested that he was a target? That's more like a "request for proposal" than being targeted, interviewed, offered and turned down for hiring. If you assumed that sports writers know he was interviewed, offered, and then turned it down, well you do know what "assume" really means don't you?

I remember Arnett saying once when asked about the Air Raid that our offense would be something like it maybe or words to that effect but he really sounded like at the time he wasn't sure and that's probably because he didn't know at the time what he wanted to do. That in no way means we will run the Leach Air Raid or how close it will be.

You expected one but not two QBs to leave. So number 2 leaving was a surprise to a message board fan and that makes it a concern? He could have been having girlfriend problems all semester, failing school, homesick, who knows but he wasn't a factor in the least this season so if we are losing anything its potential, not production.

In other words, sit tight, take a chill pill, have a drink and quit "assuming" the sky is falling. If this goes on for 10 weeks like the AD search has then you have something to be concerned about

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Uh, realize Will would have no where to go in the portal, unless he wanted to go down a level or two.
That is true but I think if it is all the way out of the air raid he would leave because he will get replaced with a transfer because he can't run an option offense

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
That is true but I think if it is all the way out of the air raid he would leave because he will get replaced with a transfer because he can't run an option offense
You’re right. I can’t imagine there are actually people on here who think Will could run a RPO offense. He would fall down and hurt himself just trying to make the read.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login