Is it fair to have some questions about the direction of men's basketball at this point?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Last summer, I was as excited about this program as I've been in over a decade. To think that Jans took the roster that we had last year and got them to buy in to relentless defense, he turned Tolu into a conference player of the year type of player, and he somehow snuck them into the tournament in year 1 was just incredible. Then, in the offseason, he was was able to bring back virtually the same roster while adding the top HS senior in the state along with a couple of talented scorers through the portal. It seemed like this was a team that would be hovering around the Top 25 all year while then comfortably getting into the dance as anything from a 5 to maybe a 9 at absolute worst.

Fast forward to today, and we completely whiffed in the portal in terms of scoring, we've got a grand total of two guys on the roster that you can look to for points(and both of those are prone to off nights), and our defense is a shell of what it was last season. To add to that, we can sit here and talks about it being time for a few guys that have hit the absolute tip of their ceilings to move on, but exactly who are we making room for? Has anyone seen a glimpse of anything positive from our younger players aside from Hubbard? Is 247 correctly showing that we have two 3* kids committed for next season with no one else really on the radar yet?

I guess it's just getting back to the tired question of what is this program's identity? Last year, I thought I knew, but I really don't know of anything that this group does particularly well or at least with a lot of effort.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we know the identity. Rugged, athletic football-looking defense plus Hubbard. Probably a better team than last year overall, and we will get better by the end of the year. That's what we've got, that's what we inherited. Maybe it starts to change next year, but for right now, this is what we are.

So no, not all that fair to have concerns. I think we will be fine. Comparing this team to Howland's teams tells you all you need to know.

If whiffing on transfer portal guys is something many of you cannot handle, it's going to be tough sledding. Hitting on 50% is probably pretty good.

Guys, it's not difficult to know when you've got a good coach. You don't need to have these 'concerns' about Jans. The same with Lemonis too - what's most concerning is that if these guys can't get it done, what does that mean for MSU sports in the long term?

But of course, this is the fanbase that had concerns (and wanted to fire) Dan Mullen and Mike Leach. This lack of positive culture is one of the reasons we cannot find consistent sports success.

Last edited:

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Last summer, I was as excited about this program as I've been in over a decade. To think that Jans took the roster that we had last year and got them to buy in to relentless defense, he turned Tolu into a conference player of the year type of player, and he somehow snuck them into the tournament in year 1 was just incredible. Then, in the offseason, he was was able to bring back virtually the same roster while adding the top HS senior in the state along with a couple of talented scorers through the portal. It seemed like this was a team that would be hovering around the Top 25 all year while then comfortably getting into the dance as anything from a 5 to maybe a 9 at absolute worst.

Fast forward to today, and we completely whiffed in the portal in terms of scoring, we've got a grand total of two guys on the roster that you can look to for points(and both of those are prone to off nights), and our defense is a shell of what it was last season. To add to that, we can sit here and talks about it being time for a few guys that have hit the absolute tip of their ceilings to move on, but exactly who are we making room for? Has anyone seen a glimpse of anything positive from our younger players aside from Hubbard? Is 247 correctly showing that we have two 3* kids committed for next season with no one else really on the radar yet?

I guess it's just getting back to the tired question of what is this program's identity? Last year, I thought I knew, but I really don't know of anything that this group does particularly well or at least with a lot of effort.
I'm afraid we are starting to feel the effects of NIL in not only FB but also Basketball. It's possible that we have been feeling its effects in baseball also. It's only going to get worse.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think we know the identity. Rugged defense plus Hubbard. Probably a better team than last year overall, and we will get better by the end of the year.

So no, not all that fair to have concerns. I think we will be fine. Comparing this team to Howland's teams tells you all you need to know.

If whiffing on transfer portal guys is something many of you cannot handle, it's going to be tough sledding. Hitting on 50% is probably pretty good.
Better hit on more than 50%.

The plus hubbard i dont get.... But if we dont have a more up to date offense, going to be hard to bring in good offensive players, which is what this team needs

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Honest question back:

If we win our next 4. And are 18-8. 7-6 in the SEC. And probably a 8 seed in the tournament.

Are you still asking these questions?
I'd say yes and no. I guess I'd be slightly more comfortable about this season, but I don't expect wins over the # 88, 136, 131, and 61 teams to get us into 8 seed conversation. Those games aren't going to help our own net rankings, and winning a bare minimum of 3 of 4 would be a must to keep NCAA talk alive.

Also, while again I'd say that winning all 4 would make me feel a little more comfortable about this season, it doesn't address the complete roster turnover that we're going to require for '24-25. It's not like I want to move on from Jans, so maybe he'll work some magic and get things done between and now and next season, but I just don't have a lot of warm and fuzzies based on what we're witnessing now

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

What are you basing that the defense is a shell of itself? We are 5th in conference in FG% against, 1st in conference in 3pt % against and 2nd in conference in fewest rebounds against. We've only been outrebounded in 1 conference game (Alabama by 4 rebounds)

The reason we are where we are is offense/free throw shooting. Defense has been fine.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd say yes and no. I guess I'd be slightly more comfortable about this season, but I don't expect wins over the # 88, 136, 131, and 61 teams to get us into 8 seed conversation. Those games aren't going to help our own net rankings, and winning a bare minimum of 3 of 4 would be a must to keep NCAA talk alive.

Also, while again I'd say that winning all 4 would make me feel a little more comfortable about this season, it doesn't address the complete roster turnover that we're going to require for '24-25. It's not like I want to move on from Jans, so maybe he'll work some magic and get things done between and now and next season, but I just don't have a lot of warm and fuzzies based on what we're witnessing now

Right these next 4 games are more about holding serve. I saw somewhere where we are currently a projected 10 or 11 seed. Winning the next 4 holds serve.. losing 1 basically puts us on the wrong side of the bubble going down the stretch.

I guess I just dont see the talent or didnt expect the rise some others did with the team. I thought we had a lot of things fall into place last season to get in. I think Jans is a coach that is trying to do it a differnet way inside the SEC, which isnt a bad thing being in Starkville. We cant recruit against the big boys. Sorta the way Mullen did things in football.

However I will say, this style we play, especially offensively, isnt one that is going to attract elite talent. Thats why I dont get the infatuation with Hubbard. He's 5-10. Average shooter. We need 2-3-4 players better than him if we are going to compete for league championships.

Reactions: patdog and Seinfeld

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
What are you basing that the defense is a shell of itself? We are 5th in conference in FG% against, 1st in conference in 3pt % against and 2nd in conference in fewest rebounds against. We've only been outrebounded in 1 conference game (Alabama by 4 rebounds)

The reason we are where we are is offense/free throw shooting. Defense has been fine.
I thought South Carolina destroyed us on the boards?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think we know the identity. Rugged, athletic football-looking defense plus Hubbard. Probably a better team than last year overall, and we will get better by the end of the year. That's what we've got, that's what we inherited. Maybe it starts to change next year, but for right now, this is what we are.

The first paragraph is a pretty good description

On the portal point, I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I do take issue with the fact that Jans brough in 4 transfers that are combining for a grand total of 13 pts and 8 rebounds this season. That isn't anything close to getting what we need out of the portal unless we're bringing in 2-3 Hubbards every year

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Personally I don't think.this team is improved but I wouldn't really blame Jans. I don't think anyone is really questioning Jans. If Fort and Taylor were playing as expected it would be a different team. Adding I think when teams don't meet expectations its always fair to question the team. I expected to not be sweating making the tournament this year. I guess some of yall figured we would be scratching and clawing to make it. I wasn't thinking sweet 16 but certainly 32 possibly

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've said elsewhere I don't understand why we are not improved. Maybe we are and it will be revealed as the schedule gets easier. I do expect a positive finish and maybe a run to the tournament, but not much else.

I really don't understand what happened to the consistent intensity on the defensive end we got used to last year. We gave up 80 or more points once last year. Already happened 5 times this season.

That is concerning to me...

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Defense has been far from "fine". We only gave up 80+ one time last year in conference and only 5 games where we allowed the opponent to score between 70 and 80.

So far halfway thru SEC play this season we have given up 99, 86, 79, 90, and 82. The percentages may stil be lower but 2nd chances are killing this team.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Defense has been far from "fine". We only gave up 80+ one time last year in conference and only 5 games where we allowed the opponent to score between 70 and 80.

So far halfway thru SEC play this season we have given up 99, 86, 79, 90, and 82. The percentages may stil be lower but 2nd chances are killing this team.
I agree. I havent compared the metrics, but I dont think we are as good defensively as we were last season.

And if we are going to hang our hat on defense.. wouldnt it make sense to get a 7 footer or someone that can actually block shots at the rim.

The composiiton of the roster I dont particually like, and honesetly I dont even see his vision... but I think Jans needs another year or two to sort thru it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Personally I don't think.this team is improved but I wouldn't really blame Jans. I don't think anyone is really questioning Jans. If Fort and Taylor were playing as expected it would be a different team. Adding I think when teams don't meet expectations its always fair to question the team. I expected to not be sweating making the tournament this year. I guess some of yall figured we would be scratching and clawing to make it. I wasn't thinking sweet 16 but certainly 32 possibly
The fact they're not performing as expected points to Jans either not evaluating them properly or not coaching them properly. It is definitely on him how his players perform, good or bad.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Two AP Top-10 wins already makes it an upward trajectory vs last year. Yes, a blowout loss in Tuscaloosa certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but, overall, this team is better than last year. Didn't help that we lost Jeffries early in the game either.

I can't speak to recruiting because I don't follow it, but I will say that I trust Jans.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This season is trending towards under expectations. I’ll be a little disappointed with an 8 or 9 season. I fully acknowledge MSU fans should never be disappointed with a NCAAT appearance in Men’s Basketball, but we’re not trending ahead of last year’s team. We might end up several seeds ‘higher’ but we’re right on this “First Four Byes / Play In Game” line.

Maybe we can get on a run here and play our way into a better seeding.

Reactions: HuntDawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The first paragraph is a pretty good description

On the portal point, I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I do take issue with the fact that Jans brough in 4 transfers that are combining for a grand total of 13 pts and 8 rebounds this season. That isn't anything close to getting what we need out of the portal unless we're bringing in 2-3 Hubbards every year

As a comparison, Purcell brought in 3 transfers who are all keys in the core 7 rotation and average 26 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists per game combined. And he has a true freshmen who is clearly going to be a very good player for us in the coming years. Two other freshmen look to be solid adds.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
So I think we overachieved a little last year given how bad we were offensively. This year we are a little better on offense but not as good on defense.

If Jans goes to the tourney this year he will only be the third coach in our history to take us to the tourney in consecutive seasons. We have zero tourney wins since 2008. Some perspective is needed on things.

I think the better way to judge Jans will be after this year. Gotta realize we are still rolling with a bunch of Howland guys in our starting lineup. How well he’s able to recruit both high school and the portal will define him in the long haul.

I think he’s got total job security until at least Year 4 or 5, unless for some reason this year goes in the tank and they are Rick Ray bad next year.

Reactions: Papapat.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think he’s got total job security until at least Year 4 or 5, unless for some reason this year goes in the tank and they are Rick Ray bad next year.
That is insane. NO coach has that kind of job security anymore.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So I think we overachieved a little last year given how bad we were offensively. This year we are a little better on offense but not as good on defense.

If Jans goes to the tourney this year he will only be the third coach in our history to take us to the tourney in consecutive seasons. We have zero tourney wins since 2008. Some perspective is needed on things.

I think the better way to judge Jans will be after this year. Gotta realize we are still rolling with a bunch of Howland guys in our starting lineup. How well he’s able to recruit both high school and the portal will define him in the long haul.

The one thing i will say about is I dont buy the whole still have a bunch of howlands guys starting. I mean this is the portal. People more so in basketball than any other sport, move places all the time. If he was/is unhappy with any of the players or wanted to brand things "his way" he very well could have with the portal. He didnt need to wait 2-3 years like in days gone by.

hence why I dont get the roster composition or the direction he's going with it. I give him credit for the success he's had so far, but to determine how good of a situation this is long term-- i need to see what he's trying to do. Seems like he's in between or trying to mash certain things togehter and he didnt have too.

If he wants to have a defensive minded team. We should see that. Where are the 7 footers, shot blockers etc. If we are going to be a more guard oriented offense-- he shoulda told Tulo to hit the portal and brought in whomever. I mean there were and are ways to getting his guys in way before year 3.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That is insane. NO coach has that kind of job security anymore.

Nope, not insane.

We didn’t fire Howland until he missed three tourneys in a row. Ole Miss didn’t fire Kermit until he missed four in a row. So your statement is just factually wrong, at least in this state in recent history.

Jans has at worst a 50/50 shot to make the tourney this year. His seat isn’t even close to warm right now. Like I said, it would take a catastrophic finish this year and a catastrophic 2024-2025 for him to not get a Year 4 at least.

And there’s nothing right now that tells me that anything like that is coming. The most likely outcome for this team is they make the tourney and at that point Jans will unquestionably be safe for another 2-3 years.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012

The recruiting has to improve. Coach Jans has very experience recruiting players capable of moving the needle at this level. At his previous stops he knew he didn’t have a chance with that type player and was able to get the “best of the rest”. Occasionally he would get a hidden gem or late developer. If I remember the various recruiting articles correctly Coach G Brooks is the one bringing in the biggest names. We need another “bag man”.

Reactions: patdog

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

He's also got to replace all that Howland experience with quality players, and with the exception of Hubbard he hasn't done it. It's going to have to be an entirely new team next year for the most part and his recruiting so far doesn't give the fanbase too much confidence that the roster will be any better. No way he should get a pass for 2 or 3 more years.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The one thing i will say about is I dont buy the whole still have a bunch of howlands guys starting. I mean this is the portal. People more so in basketball than any other sport, move places all the time. If he was/is unhappy with any of the players or wanted to brand things "his way" he very well could have with the portal. He didnt need to wait 2-3 years like in days gone by.

hence why I dont get the roster composition or the direction he's going with it. I give him credit for the success he's had so far, but to determine how good of a situation this is long term-- i need to see what he's trying to do. Seems like he's in between or trying to mash certain things togehter and he didnt have too.

If he wants to have a defensive minded team. We should see that. Where are the 7 footers, shot blockers etc. If we are going to be a more guard oriented offense-- he shoulda told Tulo to hit the portal and brought in whomever. I mean there were and are ways to getting his guys in way before year 3.

Some truth in this, but my point was not meant as a knock on Jans or his current players. I think he liked the group he returned and thought he only needed to add a little bit of help.

I also imagine it’s difficult to get a ton of interest from portal guys when you are bringing back your whole starting five that went to the tourney last year. Guys want to be guaranteed starting spots and Jans is clearly not the kind of coach to do that (see Andy Taylor).

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He's also got to replace all that Howland experience with quality players, and with the exception of Hubbard he hasn't done it. It's going to have to be an entirely new team next year for the most part and his recruiting so far doesn't give the fanbase too much confidence that the roster will be any better. No way he should get a pass for 2 or 3 more years.

We don’t lose as much as you’d think. Tolu and Jeffries out of the starting five, Bell and Davis off the bench, we’ll see on Shak. We definitely have to hit the portal for several guys but I suspect that was always the plan.

Hubbard and Matthews should be a strong returning duo if nothing else, along with some other pieces.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Some truth in this, but my point was not meant as a knock on Jans or his current players. I think he liked the group he returned and thought he only needed to add a little bit of help.

I also imagine it’s difficult to get a ton of interest from portal guys when you are bringing back your whole starting five that went to the tourney last year. Guys want to be guaranteed starting spots and Jans is clearly not the kind of coach to do that (see Andy Taylor).

If he liked the group he had coming back.. enough to not get his guys or his system into place... then any critism he gets is warranted if the group does not perform up to standards.

I again get what your saying... but if you are trying to build or get your guys in or your system in... or whatever you want to call it... You dont need to be going into year 3 and not have a clear direction of where you are going. Again to me, it seems like Jans is trying to mash multiple things together and we really dont have an identity. We are kinda coaching up what we got.. and that isnt going to work long term

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yes, a blowout loss in Tuscaloosa certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth
Disgusted Bad Taste GIF by SWR3

So how did that home loss to mighty Southern U taste?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If he liked the group he had coming back.. enough to not get his guys or his system into place... then any critism he gets is warranted if the group does not perform up to standards.

I again get what your saying... but if you are trying to build or get your guys in or your system in... or whatever you want to call it... You dont need to be going into year 3 and not have a clear direction of where you are going. Again to me, it seems like Jans is trying to mash multiple things together and we really dont have an identity. We are kinda coaching up what we got.. and that isnt going to work long term

This is his style. He was JUCO and transfer heavy at previous stops. And it did work for him. Time will tell on how it goes for him here. But he’s always been more of a coach where you’re building things from year to year versus getting a bunch of high school guys and developing them over several years.

Now I do think it’s fair to question how we’ve performed in the portal the last two years. That first group of guys was just simply not good. This group hasn’t added a ton either other than Bell being big for us in nonconference. So yeah, this upcoming portal class probably needs to be his best to date.

At a certain point you either trust the guy that’s been a 20+ win coach every year of his career to figure it out or you don’t trust him but need to understand the chances of doing worse than this guy are a lot higher than the chances of doing better.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is his style. He was JUCO and transfer heavy at previous stops. And it did work for him. Time will tell on how it goes for him here. But he’s always been more of a coach where you’re building things from year to year versus getting a bunch of high school guys and developing them over several years.

Now I do think it’s fair to question how we’ve performed in the portal the last two years. That first group of guys was just simply not good. This group hasn’t added a ton either other than Bell being big for us in nonconference. So yeah, this upcoming portal class probably needs to be his best to date.

At a certain point you either trust the guy that’s been a 20+ win coach every year of his career to figure it out or you don’t trust him but need to understand the chances of doing worse than this guy are a lot higher than the chances of doing better.

Guess that was my point. He seems like a transfer guy, yet he's had little to no success bringing that in here. He seems like a defensive guy, but knowing we badly need a shot blocker, he didnt go get one.

I'm not down on him like some others are. I think he deserves more credit than hes getting. I just honestly question the long term vision. If its year to year.. even then it has to have a identity. I mean Alabama has 3 portal guys starting for them. But their MO is the same. I just dont see that with Jans yet...

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Guess that was my point. He seems like a transfer guy, yet he's had little to no success bringing that in here. He seems like a defensive guy, but knowing we badly need a shot blocker, he didnt go get one.

I'm not down on him like some others are. I think he deserves more credit than hes getting. I just honestly question the long term vision. If its year to year.. even then it has to have a identity. I mean Alabama has 3 portal guys starting for them. But their MO is the same. I just dont see that with Jans yet...

Like I said, I won’t pretend the portal recruiting has been amazing but we’ve also had some weird sets of circumstances with certain guys. Just returning a lot of guys that Jans trusted worked both for us and against us, I think. Nobody could’ve predicted that Taylor would bust so badly, and it’s not like we were the only SEC school pursuing him.

That’s why I say this year’s portal class is the one to really watch as our attrition level is going to be more typical than it was last year.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

1707166115410.jpeg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

The problem is we give up too many threes -more than anyone in the conference- so the percentages aren’t as important.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The problem is we give up too many threes -more than anyone in the conference- so the percentages aren’t as important.
Not to defend. Because I do think the defense has been worse this season. But we have played Alabama twice, that might be a reason reason why we’ve given up more 3s than anyone else.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Not to defend. Because I do think the defense has been worse this season. But we have played Alabama twice, that might be a reason reason why we’ve given up more 3s than anyone else.
Good point but we also gave up 30 to OM who takes fewer than most teams.

We don’t guard the ball well at all. It’s like ball side went from plan B to Plan A And we play under ball screens almost all the time which is maddening.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
January 24, 1996: we lose at South Carolina and drop out of the rankings at 11-5 (3-4), after having lost 2 in a row.
January 27, 2024: we beat Auburn at home to go to 14-6 (3-4), then lost 2 in a row.

In '96, we got right and won the next 5.
I'd say today, we have an opportunity to win the next 5.

I'm in no way saying we are a Final 4 team, and I'll stop short of any comparisons between the two teams. I'm just saying, not one of us knows what the hell is going to happen the rest of the way. I'm pretty sure if SPS existed in January '96 we would have a bunch of people on here bitching about how terrible that year's highly touted transfer was playing at the time.

So it can still really go either way.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

We’ve also played Kentucky and Ole Miss who are the top two three point shooting teams in the league by percentage, and South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn who are in the Top 5 in attempts.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Zero questions I have right now. If we struggle next year - then I'm concerned. Jans has said with NIL - it's no longer a 4 year build a roster program. It's an every year occurrence.

Reactions: aTotal360
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login