Is it pissing anyone else off

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Seeing all these teams still playing this weekend and our team didn't even make the post season. 17in A man. How does that happen one year removed from a championship? I hope it's pissing of Cohen and Lemonis. Light some fires under some asses this off season to get serious again.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think there’s any question it’s pissing them off. The question is how well will they respond. I think (hope) we’ll see a very different team next year.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
ESPN not having the Bases Loaded sportscast where it goes from site to site for free is pissing me off more right now. I will be pissed off to the point of breaking things if the Corndogs vs the Mustard Buzzards game is something I have to pay for.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Don't got watch ESPN? I'm sure it will be on in every bar south of 84 tonight. I live amongst the corndogs so I'm sure I'll hear about it one way or another.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Hurts a lot, but I am watching to see who makes Omaha from the SEC. Also, hoping that ‘powers that be’ are looking to poach some of those good mid-major pitchers. I’m just sayin’.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I have the Watch ESPN app. I do not have an ESPN+ subscription (or a Disney Plus subscription). I will try the app, but pretty sure it will be blacked out. Any other suggestions?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was right there with you. I remember listening to a T&L episode back around February, and while they were debating whether State would be a national seed or not, there was a distinct comment about how the program had finally reached the point of reloading every year rather than having to endure any sort of rebuild. I believed every word of it, and I can’t even imagine the ridicule someone would’ve gotten from suggesting that MSU would miss the entire postseason.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I got use to them going to the CWC. I kind of grown to expect to be there every year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's not naive. We should expect as a program to at least make the regional if not super regional. Especially with this many players being back from a championship. Not making post season should be unacceptable for any coach over state baseball. Just unbelievable it actually happened considering the last 10 years of the program.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nobody likes it, but it's not an uncommon occurrence. To act as if it doesn't is just being emotional.

2015 Virginia - 2016 host but get bounced by William and Mary 1-2
2016 Coastal Carolina - 2017 didn't make it
2017 Florida - 2018 CWS
2018 Oregon State - 2019 host but get bounced by Creighton 2 and Q
2019 Vanderbilt - 2021 CWS national runner up

Seems the results are all over the board. And you know as well as I do that the injuries were the difference in us being a regional team, so don't act like it's some huge disappointment that we had the losing record.

I stopped there because that's when the bats changed. To go back further, Vandy had a repeat appearance after 2014, and both UCLA 2013 and Arizona 2012 didn't make the tournament. Before that South Carolina had a 2 year run in Omaha. LSU regressed after 2009 and got bounced in an away regional. Fresno State didn't make it after 2008. Oregon State didn't make it after going back to back in 2006 and 2007.

National title teams usually have some significant losses after they win it all, because, well, they are good players who are generally older and/or get drafted, because that's what happens to good players. It ain't rocket science.

Does it sting that we aren't watching MSU baseball today? Of course. But let's not be dumb and wonder how in the world this could happen to us (after an UNBELIEVABLE 6-year run).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Some of ya'll just don't understand sports, I'm convinced of that. This **** happens to the best of them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Based on actual stats this year, yes. Several good teams back in regional after a 3-4 year absence.

I understand we expect to make it every year. Most don't.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Ah goat. You never disappoint.

How many players did we have back on this team that played last year? We lost SEC hits king two years ago. Still made it to Omaha in 2021. We lost sec player of the year yes. We lost bednar to draft. Then we lost Simms and Simmons to injury this year. We still had a bunch of guys back from last year that should have major contributors this year but they werent. James and LT should have been huge this year for us but weren't. Mule wasn't consistent. Hancock didn't help out and with his age it's a wonder he was starting. Clark was supposed to be a stud but not sure what happened to him. Forsyth and Leggett both had valuable play last year that just didn't happen this season. Just felt like a lot of guys didn't grow into this year. Guess they couldn't handle the success last year and thought that winning a natty last year would automatically make them good this year.

Also Lemonis is supposed to be one of the best recruiters in the game. Should be loaded with talent in year 3. Pitching was not the only downfalls of this team. The hitting was crappy all year for most of the team. We also lacked a lot of focus and will to win.

And your points you made aren't helping because most all of those teams at least made post season and some hosted.

We didn't even make the post season conference tournament.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Hurts a lot, but I am watching to see who makes Omaha from the SEC. Also, hoping that ‘powers that be’ are looking to poach some of those good mid-major pitchers. I’m just sayin’.

I hope no one from the SEC makes it to Omaha!

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020
No it doesn’t. You don’t go from CWS champs in 2021 to dead last in the SEC and losers of your last 11 SEC games in 2022.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
2015 Virginia - 2016 host but get bounced by William and Mary 1-2
2016 Coastal Carolina - 2017 didn't make it
2017 Florida - 2018 CWS
2018 Oregon State - 2019 host but get bounced by Creighton 2 and Q
2019 Vanderbilt - 2021 CWS national runner up

Seems the results are all over the board. And you know as well as I do that the injuries were the difference in us being a regional team, so don't act like it's some huge disappointment that we had the losing record.

Those results aren’t “all over the board.” 4 out of 5 had good enough years to host the next year. One team- a mid-major with a fluke title in its only CWS appearance- failed as spectacularly as we did.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Agreed . The point is we didn't just have a great season, we have and have had a great program for a long time and while we can expect to have a down season from time to time this past season should have some coaches/administration doing some soul (and roster) searching.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Those results aren’t “all over the board.” 4 out of 5 had good enough years to host the next year. One team- a mid-major with a fluke title in its only CWS appearance- failed as spectacularly as we did.
Re-read the part about injuries. With just one of Sims or Simmons we are in a regional. With both we probably host. I mean damn son, you actually QUOTED that part.

Not to mention that once things start sliding downhill it's impossible to stop it. Kids are pressing, etc.

Ya'll really are clueless about how the real world works.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Heck, Charleston didn’t even have a bad season the year after their title either. Won the Sunbelt Conference, but lost in the conference tournament & didn’t get an at large bid.

Bottom line is there’s no excuse for Mississippi State baseball to finish dead 17ing last. Ever. Either Lemonis will get it turned around or someone else will.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Re-read the part about injuries. With just one of Sims or Simmons we are in a regional. With both we probably host. I mean damn son, you actually QUOTED that part.

Not to mention that once things start sliding downhill it's impossible to stop it. Kids are pressing, etc.

Ya'll really are clueless about how the real world works.

Simmons alone wouldn't have us in a regional. Doubt we'd host with both he and Sims. This team was likely a bubble team before those injuries. Hell, they weren't good with those guys.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Heck, Charleston didn’t even have a bad season the year after their title either. Won the Sunbelt Conference, but lost in the conference tournament & didn’t get an at large bid.
You're splitting hairs. Sometimes things go wrong, sometimes you can hold it together. The injuries made things fall apart for us. Again, not rocket science.

Bottom line is there’s no excuse for Mississippi State baseball to finish dead 17ing last. Ever. Either Lemonis will get it turned around or someone else will.
Ever? OK, I guess we're levitating above everybody else. I would ask you if you wanted to fire Cohen after 2015, but I already know that answer.

And chances are, just like back then, next year will look a lot more like 2016, than 2015 (or 2022).

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"not rocket science". Damn Goat I thought for sure you were a rocket scientist ***

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yes. But now I've moved on instead of being miserable. I really enjoyed watching Squeeze Play last night. There some fantastic games and college baseball is still enjoyable to watch unlike MLB.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He’s not wrong here.

Expecting to never have a bad season is dumb. Not wanting to have one is different.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
True but injuries and specifically bullpen pitching hurt us way more than anything.

Those 2 guys would have made that a lot different.

We lost a lot of pitching from last year. Then add on injuries and here we are.

Sucks. We should be upset. Cohen should be. Lemonis should be. But expecting us to never miss a regional isn’t how baseball works.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Not pissed. The end of the season dulled my senses. Should we expect to be better next year? Where are we guaranteed to upgrade? And which current SEC teams in the regionals will be worse?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Not sure what stage of recovery I’m at, but I’m deep in whatever step apathy is. For all men’s sports.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Having a veteran roster almost entirely back and not make it to our own conference tournament should piss a lot of people off. Wonder where most of our players priorities were throughout the season, cause I don't think a single leader was in that dugout

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Still stings! Also seeing these mostly empty stadiums for regional play also has me shaking head in disbelief.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Having a veteran roster almost entirely back and not make it to our own conference tournament should piss a lot of people off. Wonder where most of our players priorities were throughout the season, cause I don't think a single leader was in that dugout

Except it wasn’t “almost entirely back”. Without Allen, Rowdey, Sims, and Bednar, we don’t even host a regional last year. Witout even one of them, we don’t make Omaha or win a natty. Yall are straight up clueless on the magnitude of what we lost, and that’s not even to mention Simmons, Hunt, Auger, Harding, etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login