Is Jeff Lebby after a month the best recruiter in Mississippi State football history?

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Yes, you can't deny the players he recruited, but you really don't know if he actually what's very involved in recruiting them because he hated the recruiting game.

I guess you can give the credit to the whole team of coaches because they got the players here and then taught them. I really remember Chris Jones was nothing like what he grew into if you compare what he was like when he first showed up at Mississippi State.
Chris Jones was completely raw for sure but that dude was a beast day one.

I remember the high school all star game the year Jones came to State out of HS. They had the coaches mic'd on the sideline and every time a big play was needed on the defense, Steve Marucci (49ers) was mic'd up and coaching Chris Jones' team. Marucci was screaming for Joneseee on every big play and Marucci was screaming with approval every time. He knew who the best player at that all-star game was Chris and that his team would only go as far as Chris could take them. I will say he never even lifted weights until... Well, certainly not in HS. He just put on a uniform and dominated everyday. Technique nor training was required for him to do it in HS and he was a beast day one at College. Yes, he had to train to be all he could be and he had to learn a lot, but you can't teach what he possessed walking in the door day one.

Mullen does not get some great credit for finding him either. A friend of mine that is a big supporter of State sports called the coaches at Starkville after seeing him in person. Mullen would not even drive the 45 minutes to see him at Houston nor would he even send someone. Instead they said bring him to a camp. If my buddy had not taken him, then a lot could have been different as Houston barely had any coaches at that point and the Houston team sucked. No one was paying any attention to anyone on that team.

It was undeniable the talent Chris possessed once you saw him live. Any idiot could have seen it, no great coaching insight required. Sure, he was raw as freak as the coaching he had received before getting to Starkville was practically non-existent. I think that is why so many players from Mississippi go elsewhere to end up riding a bench. The HS coaching here has been horrible at some of these smaller schools in MS.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It's like in high school when a girl lets you put your hand up her shirt on the first date and you get all excited thinking surely you'll be scoring regularly any day now. Just a matter of time, really. High fives all around. But then on the next date, what if she gives you the ol' stiff-arm? Or worse, what if she gives you chlamydia? Or what if she's a no good two-timing ***** who's just using you to get back at her ex-BF Darryl? Seems premature, is what I'm trying to say.
😳

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
So did Croom.
Fletcher Cox committed to State the April 2008 before Croom's last year. It's not like Mullen found him or even got him in the class. He just closed it with signing day which ain't nothing but I personally consider Cox one of Croom's last recruits, not Mullen's. I consider Parson Leach's last QB and not Arnett's, how about you?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is pretty insane. Someone asked that in a group text and it got me thinking - he might be. Of course, it isn't a huge mountain to climb.
Haven’t kept up with it that much but he seems to be doing well.

But as always needs matter more than stars.
STARS MATTER but needs matter more.

If he recruits to needs and can keep us in the top 25 yearly and top 20 some years and can coach he’ll do well.

and recruiting will improve as well if he stays motivated

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

If he recruits to needs and can keep us in the top 25 yearly and top 20 some years and can coach he’ll do well.

Eh, with high school kids, get the best athletes you can, then move them around where you need them. Portal and JUCO, sure, get more into the specific needs. But you better not give up on an elite athlete there either, if you have a chance. Your needs will work themselves out.

This is a common fallacy among the bros of crootin.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
It's like in high school when a girl lets you put your hand up her shirt on the first date and you get all excited thinking surely you'll be scoring regularly any day now. Just a matter of time, really. High fives all around. But then on the next date, what if she gives you the ol' stiff-arm? Or worse, what if she gives you chlamydia? Or what if she's a no good two-timing ***** who's just using you to get back at her ex-BF Darryl? Seems premature, is what I'm trying to say.

If that theoretical girl is #5 pic in the hugh-burner-phone-friday-post, than I'm all in.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Dan Mullen was the best recruiter we’ve ever had. And it’s not close. Lebbys recruited a lot of quantity cause that’s the way the game is played now & we had a lot of glaring holes to fill. We’ll see how the quality pans out. I think he’s done fairly well so far though.
Yep, Mullen is hands down the best recruiter we have ever had. Nobody else is even in his neighborhood.

Reactions: patdog

KeyserSoze1999

Aug 26, 2015
Hopefully this new class turns out as awesome as Mullen's 2009 signing class, that was a great one.

20240105_192406.jpg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is pretty insane. Someone asked that in a group text and it got me thinking - he might be. Of course, it isn't a huge mountain to climb.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Eh, with high school kids, get the best athletes you can, then move them around where you need them. Portal and JUCO, sure, get more into the specific needs. But you better not give up on an elite athlete there either, if you have a chance. Your needs will work themselves out.

This is a common fallacy among the bros of crootin.
Yeah move those tight ends to QB and those fullbacks to o line!

Needs are more important than stars.

Ole Miss signed a few great classes under freeze that didn’t do much bc they were full of star power at receiver and running back and such but they didn’t fill a lot of needs.

Did they have some good seasons? Yeah but it didn’t match the recruiting rankings.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
What am I missing? We are composite #29, that's generally where we always are. We were #27 last year. Leach pulled in #26 and #27 before that. The 2020 transition class was #28.

Admittedly, hard to judge when it comes to the portal these days. But this is another reason why it's silly to say we don't have some talent.

Dude has been on the job for about a month and walked into a class in absolute shambles and players running for the portal. Mullen, Leach, etc had years of recruiting invested in those classes.

Hustling this class back into the 20’s with some promising recruits after just getting back to the area from Oklahoma is pretty darn impressive.

Reactions: Hot Rock

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Dan was probably the best at evaluation of guys who are overlooked. He could find them.
Slay was the biggest example of that. Hell… Slay was so overlooked.. he didn’t get half the credit he should have while on the team. Banks got all the accolades while Slay was locking down the opposite side while Banks was getting tv time because that was the side the opponents could throw to.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
List of Croom players drafted:
Jerious Norwood - signed by Sherrill
Fletcher Cox, KJ Wright, and Gabe Jackson were all Croom recruits. As was Anthony Dixon in the 2006 class.

That loaded 2009 class was actually about 80% Croom, 20% Mullen. Mullen added Bumphis, Brandon Heavens, LaDarius Perkins, and Chris White. He might have also added McPhee, I can’t remember.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fletcher Cox, KJ Wright, and Gabe Jackson were all Croom recruits. As was Anthony Dixon in the 2006 class.

That loaded 2009 class was actually about 80% Croom, 20% Mullen. Mullen added Bumphis, Brandon Heavens, LaDarius Perkins, and Chris White. He might have also added McPhee, I can’t remember.
Yeah @patdog you missed the mark in this one. Derek Sherrod was a Croom recruit too.

Antonio Johnson also got drafted. Also Jamar Chaney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hot Rock

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You need to get out more. "Just the board" LOL .
It’s just this board. It’s the shtick of being on here - a competition of who can be the most sarcastic and miserable. I’ve been a State fan my entire life and if someone says our coach “is doing well in recruiting“ like DS said, it’s not followed by a bunch of pathetic negative comments.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe it seems like it because everyone else is hitting the portal harder than we are, so by attrition there are more high schoolers available. I guess we will see next year since you have to re-recruit the same kids all over again. I don’t know.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login