Is our ceiling 7-5 for this season and would you be happy with that?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Well, my take...and I know it's a stretch...is: what do we have to lose by giving him 10 full seasons? We've been playing football for like 130 years. Our fortunes have never really changed that from one coach to the next. Spurrier was an outlier in terms of length of coaching tenure here. We otherwise have pretty much had a 4-6 year rotating door.

As I see it, if we give Beamer 10 years, the worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and we're really in no different position than we ever have been. Best case scenario, something eventually clicks and he takes off. Our rotating door approach has never worked, so just try something different.

Again, we've been at it for 130 years. What real difference would 5 more years really make in the big picture? If we keep Beamer for 10 years and he doesn't work out, we'll be looking for coach after his 10th season. If we can Beamer after 5 seasons, odds are, we'll be looking for another coach in another 4-6 years. so we'd still be looking for a coach at the same time. Maybe, though, maybe, there's something to longevity that would make things click.
Problem with that, my friend, is fans would come with pitchforks and knives if we keep a Head Coach who may be clearly over his head. I would not underestimate pressure put on the BOT by a restless fan base if it becomes obvious that Shane belongs on the long list of coaching legend sons who have failed. I'm pulling for him. But I'm not sure about him.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Problem with that, my friend, is fans would come with pitchforks and knives if we keep a Head Coach who may be clearly over his head. I would not underestimate pressure put on the BOT by a restless fan base if it becomes obvious that Shane belongs on the long list of coaching legend sons who have failed. I'm pulling for him. But I'm not sure about him.
Eh, if Gamecocks fans haven't jumped ship by this point, they won't.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
My point being, like @Big JC mentioned, Carolina football has never been good. We've got a 120 year history of mediocrity. It didn't start with Ray Tanner or Shane Beamer, so the problem has to be bigger than them.
The problem with Beamer is that he has no history of winning as a Head Coach prior to coming here. He is a blank page. We can't even point tom a histo0ry of success as either an OC or DC.

The 2 games in 2022...Tennessee and Clemson....resulted in a 2.5x pay raise and extension for Shane.. But people forget he barely beat East Carolina, Troy and Vanderbilt in his first season here. We all know how lucky we were to beat Jax State last year. Regarding the 2022 Tennessee game, do you think they came into our game overlooking us and thus got blown out? I dunno. I just think Shane has yet to prove he is Head Coaching material.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
18, I don't think fans would jump ship at this point. And if this coming season is a disaster, I don't think they will. I for one, am uncertain regarding Beamer as HC. I am hopeful that Elliott, though not the OL coach, will help in that area (not sold on Teasley as OL coach). In addition to Teasley, I was surprised that S&C Coordinator Day was not replaced. Regardless, I hope for the best. Time will tell. But "time" is not infinite.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
18, I don't think fans would jump ship at this point. And if this coming season is a disaster, I don't think they will. I for one, am uncertain regarding Beamer as HC. I am hopeful that Elliott, though not the OL coach, will help in that area (not sold on Teasley as OL coach). In addition to Teasley, I was surprised that S&C Coordinator Day was not replaced. Regardless, I hope for the best. Time will tell. But "time" is not infinite.

My 10 year plan is obviously never gonna happen (unless he starts winning games). You are correct that there are a lot of other factors. I suppose I'm just saying if he continued to be a middling coach, we really don't have anything lose by giving him 10 years b/c we've always been a middling program. If he was putting up 4-5 wins a year every year, that's a different story. Booster-wise, though, we really don't have a lot to lose since we don't have any big time boosters.

I am absolutely not sold on Teasley as OL coach and thought he should have been let go. No matter what, when you coach up one of the worst OL in all of college football, you should be under serious scrutiny. Not to mention, I doubt he had even gotten a look for the job if he weren't already in the building. But Beamer basically bet his career on him. We shall see.

Reactions: gamecock stock

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
If Carolina football had never been good I doubt that I would have become a fan. I got here just when Morrison was hired and gradually became a fan during his tenure. I was not a fan when I got here. I grew up in Texas and Alabama and was a Bama fan for 14 years. I was 24 when I moved here. Dad is the Carolina grad and his season tickets sucked me in. That and Morrison.
You should have stayed a Bama fan! lol

I meant by "never been good" that we've never been consistently good. Just a good record here or there, every once in awhile. The fact the first 10 win season was with Morrison and the first 11 win season was with Spurrier says a lot. The fact we didn't win a bowl game until the 90s says even more.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
The problem with Beamer is that he has no history of winning as a Head Coach prior to coming here. He is a blank page. We can't even point tom a histo0ry of success as either an OC or DC.

The 2 games in 2022...Tennessee and Clemson....resulted in a 2.5x pay raise and extension for Shane.. But people forget he barely beat East Carolina, Troy and Vanderbilt in his first season here. We all know how lucky we were to beat Jax State last year. Regarding the 2022 Tennessee game, do you think they came into our game overlooking us and thus got blown out? I dunno. I just think Shane has yet to prove he is Head Coaching material.
I think the biggest problem was his failure to bring with him top coaches. He was inexperienced and proceeded to fill his staff with coaches from lower levels and little SEC experience.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
18IsTheMan,

Your 10-year thought is not necessarily a bad proposal considering our history. I'm thinking that fans will look back at that 4-year stretch under Spurrier and conclude that South Carolina football has the potential to be nationally relevant. I think if Clemson has gotten its offense straight through the hire of highly regarded OL coach Matt Luke (to go with OC Garrett Riley), they could be scary good to go with their 8th ranked defense. Their recruiting is currently 4th to our 23rd. Just from the outside, Clemson is looking dangerous to me. Thus, I believe the pressure from the fan base could be overwhelming if Beamer fails to produce. But, to no one's surprise here, I know little and claim less.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
18IsTheMan,

Your 10-year thought is not necessarily a bad proposal considering our history. I'm thinking that fans will look back at that 4-year stretch under Spurrier and conclude that South Carolina football has the potential to be nationally relevant. I think if Clemson has gotten its offense straight through the hire of highly regarded OL coach Matt Luke (to go with OC Garrett Riley), they could be scary good to go with their 8th ranked defense. Their recruiting is currently 4th to our 23rd. Just from the outside, Clemson is looking dangerous to me. Thus, I believe the pressure from the fan base could be overwhelming if Beamer fails to produce. But, to no one's surprise here, I know little and claim less.

Yeah the Luke hire was a kick in the gut. We kept our grossly underperforming OL coach and Clemson went out and got one the most highly regarded OL coaches out there. Seemed like a big swing and a miss to me...except we didn't even swing.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
My 10 year plan is obviously never gonna happen (unless he starts winning games). You are correct that there are a lot of other factors. I suppose I'm just saying if he continued to be a middling coach, we really don't have anything lose by giving him 10 years b/c we've always been a middling program. If he was putting up 4-5 wins a year every year, that's a different story. Booster-wise, though, we really don't have a lot to lose since we don't have any big time boosters.

I am absolutely not sold on Teasley as OL coach and thought he should have been let go. No matter what, when you coach up one of the worst OL in all of college football, you should be under serious scrutiny. Not to mention, I doubt he had even gotten a look for the job if he weren't already in the building. But Beamer basically bet his career on him. We shall see.

Agreed, and you said it, to make it work, he needs to at least be middling. Failing to qualify for a bowl doesn't count as milling, imo.

But win 6, 7 games a year and you could limp along enough for that plan.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Agreed, and you said it, to make it work, he needs to at least be middling. Failing to qualify for a bowl doesn't count as milling, imo.

But win 6, 7 games a year and you could limp along enough for that plan.
6-7 wins a year with an 8 or even 9 win season thrown in every 5 or 6 years would mean lifetime employment for Beamer. Carolina fans are the only fans in college football who get excited about a trip to Shreveport.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
6-7 wins a year with an 8 or even 9 win season thrown in every 5 or 6 years would mean lifetime employment for Beamer. Carolina fans are the only fans in college football who get excited about a trip to Shreveport.
Carolina fans definitely don't get excited about a trip to Shreveport.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Maybe it's a recent phenomenon. With expansion seeming to push us lower on the SEC ladder, NIL and the portal seemingly doing the same. Maybe fans are "settling". Maybe bowl eligibility is a good season.

Okay, putting down the drink.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
I agree wait until 2025 season to think about a coaching change. Coach does have some good recruits already in the 2025 class. Will they stay committed is another question. I think 6 is the ceiling, not 7, hoping for more but not betting on it

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Name your 7. I'm having trouble coming up with it.
But I would be happy with it given the schedule.

Not necessarily. Many have in the past few years, those that understand the reality, and throw NIL and the portal on top of it. I'm sure younger generations of fans have replaced many of them, but I don't see them being nearly as dedicated for as long as us "Old Timers" did.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
And this is the comfort zone for the majority of our oldest fans. I think during Spurrier's best 4 years many fans were both excited and afraid of a future where we expected to be in the running for the SEC championship game every season. The historical status quo is a warm security blanket -- low expectations is also a lot easier on the blood pressure until you have to deal with Clemson and Georgia fans after a loss.
šŸ˜… I assure you, many of us older fans do not live in that comfort zone. In fact, between the slide after Spurrier, the NIL, the portal, and 150 years of mediocracy, many have thrown in the towel, Either completely or just barely hanging on.

Reactions: bayrooster

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
I graduated Carolina in 1990, saw some good seasons and a very bad one. I do think being in the SEC is a plus. Kids are going to want to go to one of best two leagues. That plus the portal puts us in a better place than on the outside looking in. Happening overnight? Of course not.

Latest posts