Is Penn State the third best football team in the country?

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
I feel there are at least 4 maybe 5 that are better. Illinois the signature win? USC and WVU fading fast.
Many team fan bases in the top 25 are likely saying, "...our guys are better than Penn State"

• Haha
Reactions: PSU1969A and FTLPSU

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
we got some good things, great QB, great D and OSU at home. I stand by my preseason prediction of winning one playoff game. So yes, ranked properly this week. Hosting a playoff game would be so unbelievable, I’d most def need a couch to sleep on

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
That's why we play the games. It's been very nice to see some of the upsets this year. Makes it all more competitive--and interesting. I'd not be shocked if the National Champion had two losses, when all is said and done.
Of course it is. It's merely a question regarding the subjectivity of polls. Politicking will start with sports information people going into high gear to promote teams x, y and z. Especially those on the bubble. Only one way to fix this.....expand the playoff!! Should they go to 16 or 32 teams?

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
I feel there are at least 4 maybe 5 that are better. Illinois the signature win? USC and WVU fading fast.
Many team fan bases in the top 25 are likely saying, "...our guys are better than Penn State"
If nothing else, this fan base has become a bunch of pearl clutching, panty bunching, scared of their own ***, pussies. The Lions have games left to test their mettle. Why prematurely piss on the parade?
I will only say this in defense of USC. Their travel schedule has been worse than most. To Baton Rouge and return. To Ann Arbor and return. To Minneapolis and return. To College Park and return.
The B1G has to get a grip on scheduling. Two and three time zone traveling is not in the best interest of the student/athletes.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Very unlikely…but polls aren’t judging the “best” team. And we’ll likely be 2nd coming out of today.

Reactions: LionJim

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
Funny, I see it the other way. I don’t see 4 or 5 teams that are clearly better. I see a wide open race and PSU is in it. Not a lot of teams would have been able to come from behind against that desperate USC team. You can’t compare the PSU and MD games. USC was trying to save their season against highly ranked PSU. Lots of motivation. None of it was present for MD.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
If nothing else, this fan base has become a bunch of pearl clutching, panty bunching, scared of their own ***, pussies. The Lions have games left to test their mettle. Why prematurely piss on the parade?
I will only say this in defense of USC. Their travel schedule has been worse than most. To Baton Rouge and return. To Ann Arbor and return. To Minneapolis and return. To College Park and return.
The B1G has to get a grip on scheduling. Two and three time zone traveling is not in the best interest of the student/athletes.
Agree with a lot but UCLA's travel was even worse. They started out in Hawaii.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Penn State played at USC but I get your point. They also beat LSU and might be 4 or 5 plays away from being undefeated. Weird year in college football.

Reactions: Nits1989

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
You had me until "student/athletes".

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
USC at USC was a quality win fo sho.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Byproduct of a couple years of NIL and unlimited transfers have led to one of the most entertaining seasons in years. Really think it’s any any given Saturday year - I think we could lose to Wisconsin and beat OSU or vice versa. Fun to watch and will be interesting to see what the coaching carousel looks like after the playoff - there is no Saban or Meyer currently coaching and really, you don’t need one anymore. Get to the playoff - then, who knows?

Additionally, I know a circle of parents who are OSU alums at our kids’ school who are all going to an upcoming game at the Shoe. We got invited but my diehard PSU wife was like ‘no f*cking way.’

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Byproduct of a couple years of NIL and unlimited transfers have led to one of the most entertaining seasons in years. Really think it’s any any given Saturday year - I think we could lose to Wisconsin and beat OSU or vice versa. Fun to watch and will be interesting to see what the coaching carousel looks like after the playoff - there is no Saban or Meyer currently coaching and really, you don’t need one anymore. Get to the playoff - then, who knows?

Additionally, I know a circle of parents who are OSU alums at our kids’ school who are all going to an upcoming game at the Shoe. We got invited but my diehard PSU wife was like ‘no f*cking way.’
you hit it that it is week to week thing. the USC team we had to play is not what Md played yesterday. Pay for play $$$ and instant transfer can remake rosters overnight. Once teams are out of the CFB playoff picture we may see the "season ending injuries", further changing rosters. Cross country travel from super leagues and injuries have a dramatic impact on game to game results. UCLA travel is insane, and this model will be hard to sustain. Penn State is not the same team right now that it was going into fall camp. we have improved in many ways, but also have many key players not near full strength or missing.

this all impacts games so it is week to week, and many are judging our starts which are slow no matter who we play..

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
you hit it that it is week to week thing. the USC team we had to play is not what Md played yesterday. Pay for play $$$ and instant transfer can remake rosters overnight. Once teams are out of the CFB playoff picture we may see the "season ending injuries", further changing rosters. Cross country travel from super leagues and injuries have a dramatic impact on game to game results. UCLA travel is insane, and this model will be hard to sustain. Penn State is not the same team right now that it was going into fall camp. we have improved in many ways, but also have many key players not near full strength or missing.

this all impacts games so it is week to week, and many are judging our starts which are slow no matter who we play..

Yeah - what is there to play for for a team like USC? What is their best bowl outcome? Doenside - like you said - is players start to bail before they even get to a bowl.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Third is about right. With all history of PSU teams since 2000, it's not overestimating
anyone, Purdue, Minnesota etc.
The team has really worked hard despite some injuries, 6 games to go, one at a time
keep your heads.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021

I think most would say Georgia, Oregon, OsU, and Texas are better. That still puts PSU at #5. That said, every team in the top 10 has shown weaknesses so far. Alabama and Tennessee were not that impressive. Oregon was shaky early on and are living off the 1 OSU win. Even Georgia was blitzed early by Alabama a few weeks ago. Miami and Iowa St are barely escaping in many games and over ranked IMO.

I think this really is the year where “everyone is beatable on any given weekend” is true.

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Honestly, after lastnight I think most people probably think a 1 loss UGA team is the best team in the country but I came away from their game thinking we could beat them.

I think we deserve where we are and everything is on the table for this team if they can stay healthy and continue to improve.
A Georgia team that lost to a mediocre Bama team and should have lost to a bad Kentucky team….then a Texas team who got mauled by that same Georgia team. Maybe, just maybe, the SEC isn’t all that good this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login