Is SixPack representative of the MSU fan base as a whole?

bullymcbullerson

Jul 5, 2013
I was flipping through the radio channels on my way to work the other morning and happened to stop on the Bo Bounds show. Right after I turned it on, Bo said something to the effect of “If MSU fans had their way, such and such coach would be gone.” I’m sure it was in the context of basketball, but it got me to thinking about where he actually gets his impressions on what the average fan is thinking.

Pretty sure he watches this board, and I wonder if it is what he uses to inform him of the general MSU fan mood. I don’t post much but I’ve been lurking for more than a decade. I’d say the general impression given here tends toward the negative side. It’s almost like this place is the customer service department for MSU athletics where people come to vent more often than to say how pleased they are. Hot takes seem to be more visible than the more level headed responses.

Im sure this is typical message board stuff though. No one that I talk sports with has any of the extreme views that I see on here but it could just be that they save that stuff for the anonymity that SixPack provides.

And I do think that Bo is more prone to call out SixPack crazies on air than OMs…

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t think it is. I think most people that post on message boards are bigger fans than your run of the mill average State fan.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I bet 90 percent or higher of the people who read sixpack have never commented before and I bet half of them have never created an account.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
On average, SixPack posters are much younger, much more computer savvy, and much more diehard about MSU sports.

And while I don't have a census to prove it, I think it's very likely we are disproportionately white, male, and educated compared to the fanbase as a whole.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
No. As a whole, the MSU fanbase is overwhelmingly more down to earth and blue collar than six pack. Likewise, overwhelmingly more conservative than six pack liberal. As a whole, and unlike the whole of six pack, the MSU fanbase is tougher skinned and not really into canceling people. As a whole, the majority of MSU could care less about the internet or some message board.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
On average, SixPack posters are much younger, much more computer savvy, and much more diehard about MSU sports.

And while I don't have a census to prove it, I think it's very likely we are disproportionately white, male, and educated compared to the fanbase as a whole.
Your first paragraph couldn’t be further from me if you tried, your second paragraph described me to a T. Yeah, I’m a little fluffy too!

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Hell no. This board looks like Mensa convention compared to the vast majority of our fans. We suck and deserve worse.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I think we polled it one time and everybody on here had an ACT of at least 32 and was on their second round of PX90

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There are probably a couple dozen posters on this and ED that do the majority of the posting. I don't know if we have enough active message board folks to draw much in the way of conclusions. I do think because so few posters have so much voice on these boards, it hard to say our message board fans are representative of the fan base as a whole

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I hope not

I hope most people aren’t as bipolar as this place, they just act that way on the internet

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Why doesn’t someone put together a census type form and see who we are

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
On average, SixPack posters are much younger

No proof to back it up, but I'd say that the majority here are 35+. I don't know the definition of "much younger" but I'd bet most of us are "older"... we're just young at heart.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I’m not so sure about that. I know this board was started by Xers close to the millennial line, but there are a lot of boomers on here too. I’d say 45% over 50, 45% 30-50, 10% under 30.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't think it tends towards the negative, it just provides a place to vent about MSU athletic frustration and we all know there is plenty of experience to draw from. It also provides a great place to celebrate baseball nattys. And let's not forget it's the go to place when you really want to have your mind changed by about vaccines and political affiliation through well reasoned, sound logic and high-level policy discussions.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
In summary:

“Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life!”

But some here have made a full blown lifestyle!

ezsoil

May 26, 2013

Wouldn't the vast majority of any college message board be educated? ...I'd say the "Fire the coach after every Loss crowd " is all that is on Facebook groups

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
In summary:

“Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life!”

But some here have made a full blown lifestyle!
^^ Case in point. Has been here 13 years and still can’t figure out how to single post.****

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Those of us who have been around since the inception are not "younger." We were relatively young back in 2003.

The biggest reason this board has slowly gone to hell is people who have come along recently and don't understand the history of the board and why it was formed.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
As a whole, the MSU fanbase is overwhelmingly more down to earth and blue collar than six pack. Likewise, overwhelmingly more conservative than six pack liberal. As a whole, and unlike the whole of six pack, the MSU fanbase is tougher skinned and not really into canceling people. As a whole, the majority of MSU could care less about the internet or some message board.

Boom nailed it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The biggest reason this board has slowly gone to hell is people who have come along recently and don't understand the history of the board and why it was formed.

Now we’ve got a bunch of dumass ****** on here

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login