Is there a reason to cheer for SEC teams during bowl season?

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I personally don't see why we should root for other SEC teams during bowl season unless State is profiting other teams' wins monetarily. I may just be dumb but I don't particularly want to see the teams we compete with every single year have success outside of the regular season. Especially teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU that we compete with as far as HS recruiting goes.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I used to cheer for the SEC because that's always what I was told we were supposed to do, but I don't do that anymore. Teams like Auburn who everybody considers our friend will stab us in the back in two seconds. In fact, there's not another team in the SEC that I like. Mississippi State is the only team that matters and the rest can get ******.

How does it benefit us if other SEC teams win random games?

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I personally don't see why we should root for other SEC teams during bowl season unless State is profiting other teams' wins monetarily. I may just be dumb but I don't particularly want to see the teams we compete with every single year have success outside of the regular season. Especially teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU that we compete with as far as HS recruiting goes.
Not unless you have money on them.

Reactions: NTDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You have it correct Wright. 17 everyone of those mother17ers. I hate them all with the burning intensity only @Lucifer Morningstar could begin to fathom. Go Frogs... Who I ordinarily hate too, but not this week. 17 UGA and Kirby Smart's stupid *** haircut.

dave chappelle hate GIF

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well, if you have friends who are Big 10 fans its always nice to rub their nose in how badly the SEC stomps that a** every year. I work with a guy from Chicago who loves OSU and it makes my day to rib him constantly about how bad they suck

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
All of my folks were so confused that I did not want Georgia to win the other night, I personally don't care to see Kirby succeed, let alone the University of Georgia. Regardless, I'm cheering for the HypnoToads in the natty.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I'm pulling for TCU Monday. But I'm expecting UGA to roll.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
You don't have to worry about Ole Miss winning this year.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
The way I view it is whats good for the conference is good for its members type mentality. If I worked for a Ford dealership, I would want Ford to be the # 1 selling vehicle even though my biggest competition would be the other Ford dealers in my area. If I'm from MS, I want the team from my region to win the state tournament even though that is who I compete (recruit) against. I want the SEC to remain #1 in the country so I can tell recruits we are in the top conference.
* There are several instances I pull for an opposing conference over the SEC, but, generally speaking I will pull for SEC.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I think it might help with perception of us being the best conference. Say three years from now we're fighting for that 12th playoff spot and it's between us and USC. We have similar records and similar stats. The selection committee might be swayed to pick us since we play in a conference that curb stomps everybody we play more than we don't. Our 9-3 may look a little better than they're 10-2 in their eyes if they think we played the more difficult schedule.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I think it might help with perception of us being the best conference. Say three years from now we're fighting for that 12th playoff spot and it's between us and USC. We have similar records and similar stats. The selection committee might be swayed to pick us since we play in a conference that curb stomps everybody we play more than we don't. Our 9-3 may look a little better than they're 10-2 in their eyes if they think we played the more difficult schedule.
That makes sense, the less logical part of me just wishes that every team that beats us loses every other game they play.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's funny to see posts about how conference X is overrated because some bowl games were lost by a couple specific teams. Happens each year.
I would guess that those posters cheer for other SEC teams to win.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This is my feeling. If the SEC has enough bowl seasons like last year's sub .500 or this year's just above .500, the theory of "SEC dominance" starts to lose steam a little I think.

That being said, I also think it depends on the opponent. For example, I have a hard time rooting for Big Ten teams to beat SEC teams that aren't named Ole Miss (and now Auburn). Same with "Blue Bloods". I was rooting for South Carolina to beat Notre Dame, but that's because I have an irrational hatred for Notre Dame and I want any team not named Ole Miss (and now Auburn) to beat them.

Reactions: Ozarkdawg

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
My MSU wife says we should pull for the conference but I say 17 em. I don’t give 2 schits if any of them ever win in anything.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Nope! We are going to get the same amount of money. Them winning only helps them.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
All of my folks were so confused that I did not want Georgia to win the other night, I personally don't care to see Kirby succeed, let alone the University of Georgia. Regardless, I'm cheering for the HypnoToads in the natty.
Having an SEC team in the championship game means there is additional money from that game that gets shared with all of the SEC member teams. In other words, an SEC team in the ship means we get more money. Doesn’t matter whether they win or not.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
You have it correct Wright. 17 everyone of those mother17ers. I hate them all with the burning intensity only @Lucifer Morningstar could begin to fathom. Go Frogs... Who I ordinarily hate too, but not this week. 17 UGA and Kirby Smart's stupid *** haircut.

dave chappelle hate GIF
Hate is always fun. But then again it is hard to take my opinion on something like this after all I am the devil.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I used to cheer for the SEC because that's always what I was told we were supposed to do, but I don't do that anymore. Teams like Auburn who everybody considers our friend will stab us in the back in two seconds. In fact, there's not another team in the SEC that I like. Mississippi State is the only team that matters and the rest can get ******.

How does it benefit us if other SEC teams win random games?
This. In my younger days I was "Pro-SEC" and stuff but that schit don't matter any more to me. In my older grumpier days I've grown to just hate everybody not named STATE except my adopted 2nd team TCU in my last 20 years here in Fort Worth.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
My priorities: 1- State to win always in everything. 2- UM get curb stomped in everything no matter who they play. 3- All BIG/PAC/ACC teams get beat by whoever they play as long as it's not UM. 4- SEC to win the natty to show conference dominance 5- All other SEC teams to get beat unless violating one of the previous higher priorities.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You can figure a hundred different ways to think about this, so I basically just follow State. I'll watch the playoff, and postseason in other sports, but I'm not going to actively cheer/watch anyone but State. It's all just background noise at that point.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
The way I view it is whats good for the conference is good for its members type mentality. If I worked for a Ford dealership, I would want Ford to be the # 1 selling vehicle even though my biggest competition would be the other Ford dealers in my area. If I'm from MS, I want the team from my region to win the state tournament even though that is who I compete (recruit) against. I want the SEC to remain #1 in the country so I can tell recruits we are in the top conference.
* There are several instances I pull for an opposing conference over the SEC, but, generally speaking I will pull for SEC.
But those guys at the other Ford dealership are ********. They lie, cheat and steal, hit women, steal from children's hospitals, wear skinny jeans, get co-eds pregnant, hold klan rallies, and are just general douche bags

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login