Is there a recent alum you'd consider as a head coach at your school...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
UNC hired a 22-year-old alum to lead its national championship field hockey team.

Okay, she's not just a 22-year-old alum, she's also a 3-time player of the year.

And yeah, I'm opening it up for folks who've graduated from non-MSU universities.

• Wow
Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well damn, this is an impressive resume. Im guessing she 'gets it' and isnt just talented in the sport, but also has a handle on the more nuanced parts of the game.
- It has to be difficult to coach your former teammates at that age(or any age).
- Handing the keys over to someone with 0 experience when its a program that is this accomplished is really impressive.
Awards
Championships
As a Player:
As a Player:
  • 5x ACC Offensive Player of the year (2018–2022)
  • 5x ACC Player of the Year (2018–2022)
  • 3x Honda Sports Award Winner

If Renardo Sidney had coached us during the 12-13 season, I bet we wouldnt have done any worse than we did under Rick Ray. <--thats more a comment on how terrible Ray wasversus how great Sidney would have been.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
That would never happen at a sport that more than a few hundred people care about. It’s easy to hire a 22-year old recent graduate when it’s field hockey. Different for basketball or baseball, where there is some national exposure.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
UNC hired a 22-year-old alum to lead its national championship field hockey team.

Okay, she's not just a 22-year-old alum, she's also a 3-time player of the year.

And yeah, I'm opening it up for folks who've graduated from non-MSU universities.

Very sport specific. Football, it would never happen. The craziest scenario I could imagine is a QB that wasn't physically talented but ate up film sessions and was so smart that the coach actually asked for input and help reviewing game film when they were an upper classman. I could believe a person like that being offered a co-offensive coordinator position/QB coach position after their RS senior year. That's never happened as far as I know, unless it was at a school/division so small enough to go unnoticed, so as a practical matter that's probably just as far fetched as a graduate landing a head coaching job period, but I could at least fathom it happening and wouldn't immediately think it's ridiculous.

Baseball I can see a graduate immediately being the 4th baseball coach? Probably less likely now that it's a paid position.

I don't see it in Basketball. Maybe a big time charismatic guy could be hired as an assistant if they thought he'd immediately be a force in recruiting? I think the way the money game operates there that's unlikely.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well damn, this is an impressive resume. Im guessing she 'gets it' and isnt just talented in the sport, but also has a handle on the more nuanced parts of the game.
- It has to be difficult to coach your former teammates at that age(or any age).
- Handing the keys over to someone with 0 experience when its a program that is this accomplished is really impressive.
Championships
Awards
As a Player:
As a Player:
  • 5x ACC Offensive Player of the year (2018–2022)
  • 5x ACC Player of the Year (2018–2022)
  • 3x Honda Sports Award Winner

If Renardo Sidney had coached us during the 12-13 season, I bet we wouldnt have done any worse than we did under Rick Ray. <--thats more a comment on how terrible Ray wasversus how great Sidney would have been.
Success playing sports doesn’t remotely qualify someone to coach.

not saying you are saying that but it means nothing on the resume.

im assuming she showed ability to coach and lead while she was playing.

only time will tell if she was a great, good or bad hire.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

That’s awfully young to be the coach and she has zero experience coaching.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Baseball - Jake Mangum, but not as HC to start.

The real problem with the “money sports” is that anyone who’s talented enough to build a playing resume like hers is going to be a high draft pro pick and will obviously go that route.

Could you imagine a 4x OPY that’s also a 4x National Champion in football? It’ll NEVER happen (for obvious reasons).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You wouldn’t stand a chance in those either…🤣
Michael Richards Yes GIF

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Success playing sports doesn’t remotely qualify someone to coach.

not saying you are saying that but it means nothing on the resume.

im assuming she showed ability to coach and lead while she was playing.

only time will tell if she was a great, good or bad hire.
Thanks for not saying I was saying that while Making it seem like I was saying that.**

When I said that she probably 'gets it' and can handle the more nuanced parts of the game, that referred to all the things beyond what a talented player typically does.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Thanks for not saying I was saying that while Making it seem like I was saying that.**

When I said that she probably 'gets it' and can handle the more nuanced parts of the game, that referred to all the things beyond what a talented player typically does.
Ah you poor thing. All about your feels.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Very sport specific. Football, it would never happen. The craziest scenario I could imagine is a QB that wasn't physically talented but ate up film sessions and was so smart that the coach actually asked for input and help reviewing game film when they were an upper classman. I could believe a person like that being offered a co-offensive coordinator position/QB coach position after their RS senior year. That's never happened as far as I know, unless it was at a school/division so small enough to go unnoticed, so as a practical matter that's probably just as far fetched as a graduate landing a head coaching job period, but I could at least fathom it happening and wouldn't immediately think it's ridiculous.

Baseball I can see a graduate immediately being the 4th baseball coach? Probably less likely now that it's a paid position.

I don't see it in Basketball. Maybe a big time charismatic guy could be hired as an assistant if they thought he'd immediately be a force in recruiting? I think the way the money game operates there that's unlikely.
Worked out ok for Tennessee many years ago. All 22yr olds are not the same, there are outliers.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

3 time player of the year and she didn't go pro?

Aug 23, 2012

It did not work for us with Joe Dan Gold

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That might work at UNC, but I would have serious concerns if the MSU athletic department was starting the trend and making the habit of appointing leadership that had little or no coaching experience.

I'll even take it a step further: I'd have very serious concerns about the MSU administarion if it ever attempted such an experiment.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login