Is there just a lack of importance on marketing and production re: Sports?

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Thanks, that's good to know. Wonder why they don't put it on the website.

And for the record, I couldn't name 3 players on any OM team right now. There was more than just OM in the OP, but that's all you replied to.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Every time I've ever been in B&N, there are MSU volleyball, soccer, etc. t-shirts

Well damn, missed on a couple then.

...unless you are referring to the basic t-shirt that just says 'mississippi state golf' or 'mississippi state soccer' in all the same font/typeface for every sport.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Is someone arguing with you that a late October day in State College, PA is comparable to a September game in Starkville in terms of heat? July is the hottest month in State college and the average is still 5 degrees colder than September in Starkville.

State College has had 1 day of 90° in September in the last 5 years combined. Starkville has had 77. The all time record high for October is 28th in State College PA was 79°. If someone happened to be at a game that day at Penn State, I would have to agree nobody would be bitching about the heat. It was perfect football weather.
I was making the point that on that particular late October day it was unlike a typical day in State College - should have been about 60* but was very warm and nobody gave a **** and wasn’t complaining about what they wore unlike Peeper who obviously thinks it’s too 17-ing hot to wear our main team color to a football game and doesn’t like MS State suggesting we all wear said color.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Off topic, I still don't think we have a lot of great apparel that I would buy and wear. Everything in the Lodge looks like it was designed by AI then put through a committee of middle managers. All of the logo shirts and polos have badges on them that are as big as letters on letter jackets. I would love a grey polo with a small old school Walking Bully, for example.

^^^This^^^

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You point out 2 specifics in “subpar marketing”

Ole miss and we ring true changed to something new

Bigleachguy24

Apr 11, 2022
I know I may be late to the party on this, but yes, Mississippi State marketing definitely needs a revamp. All of us go to the football games and hear the exact same songs and see the exact same videos, and it just becomes run of the mill. All I'm saying is there is a reason that the student section is half full by the third quarter. We don't keep people engaged.

That being said, the in-game production in the Hump is much rougher than in Davis Wade. Some of the lamest I've seen. Maybe the new arena will help, but we desperately need help there. Sad thing is that it's not a hard fix. There is plenty you could do to keep fans engaged.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Just looked at Hail State again, still doesn't have colors. That's not really the point.

Don't have to look hard to still see the pattern of our University marketing.

I think you saw OM and went blind haha

The football’s Twitter page tweeted out the colors to wear with the schedule on 7.11.22. That Twitter page also releases videos damn near daily. Twitter is what you need if you have a desire to see hype videos and more marketing. The football’s Twitter page is pretty active.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
With Rhett being back we’ve finally seen our programs being marketed all over again. Leah Beasley was lazy as hell with marketing and in game experience. Thank god she’s finally gone because her and Cohen didn’t give two ***** about actually marketing our teams (Cohen does about baseball and that’s all). We should’ve hired an actual athletics business person to lead the way instead of promoting him bc he’s one of our own and had no experience. Thankfully, although Rhett is one of our own he’s forward thinking and has been some where to see different things and he’s going to be a great AD for us one day hopefully sooner rather than later.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Just so we're clear your answer to the question is, you have zero issues with MSU marketing and product presentation? That's what the post was about.

If so, that's cool dude. This is America. You do you, but don't **** on people who believe our university has to work harder to put out a better product, especially considering the state newspaper covers MSU unfavorably. Maybe you think the Clarion Ledger does an awesome job too. I don't.

If you think it's all perfect and you have nothing to back it up, you don't have any input.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I don't use Twitter. So I guess that's my fault. I've been checking Youtube and IG and there isn't much.

If they have a tweet about the colors for the games, will the website be updated? That is a tedious detail, but the little details add up. People older than myself will not use twitter. But those same people probably won't wear what is suggested either, so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Just looked at the twitter page. That's definitely some of what I'm looking for. Thanks

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
That's one of the things I see people complain about who attend the games. What could be done to improve that?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It was posted on IG on July 11. It will likely be on the ticket. It will also be promoted that week. I dont think there is anyway to miss it.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
[WARNING] Your question is a very good one. Furthermore, it runs deeper than many of the passionate elements (e.g. "athletic gear") touched on by many within this thread. (Which are all great points)

The key word in your post is "brand." This has been a challenge for MSU for decades. Logos, taglines, and the indicia come and go -- sometimes it evolves for better -- sometimes for worse.

We are living in a time that has been shaped by a considerable number of univeristies using athletics "front and center" for recruiting to raise enrollment by drawing from a national audience. The majority of a university's budget is AIS -- "asses in seats." A competitive athletics program helps that tremedously by serving as a form of "passive" advertising for a university on a national level.

When you say "marketing," I interpret that as messaging, and my many questions would center around the following:

* What is the message MSU wants to send? (Value? JCareer? Innovation? Athetics?)
* What is the message it is CURRENTLY sending?
* For whom is that message intended or what audience is targeted? (Propsective students nationally? Transfer students? Alumni? All of the above?)
* What metrics are be used to determine if the message is effective in reaching, resonating, and getting a response from the target audience? (This is much easier said than done)
* Does the marketing plan align with the mission, vision, values, and strategic plan of the university?
* Is the strategic plan of the univeristy a good plan in today's environment?

If MSU is the place where "Bubba and Susie" in the State of Mississippi can get a quality college degree that is relatively inexpensive to other univeristies; AND, if MSU is the place that wants to be fiscally conservative and make sure that the status quo isn't jeopordized...then you will likely continue to be disappointed with MSU's overall marketing efforts. You will see nothing transformative from MSU -- incremental improvements, at best.

I'm a firm believer that it is the students who drive the positive energy of university -- not the administration. When a university has messaging that energizes the sudent base, connects with prospective students, and also resonates with alumni who ALSO feed off that energy -- then you have a brand to build around.

Right now students are fair weather about a football game because...well... we don't win consistently. Worse, MSU has no tradition of winning in football. (I'm picking on football because it's the easiest to do in the context of this thread). Yes, you can look the Alabamas and the like, but those programs have National Championships and lifetime winning percentages MSU will never achieve.

I know this: Marketing is a hard job at any university -- especially these days. MSU is no exception. It's a job I wouldn't want because no fan base / alumni base will ever be fully satisfied with what you put out.

Bigleachguy24

Apr 11, 2022
the biggest thing we need is variety, because variety brings energy. People are tired of hearing Hold on Loosely between every 1 and 2 quarter and Don't stop believing in the 4th. I will never forget how nuts the place went against Tennessee in '12 when they pulled Party Rock Anthem out out of nowhere. A totally random song brought a ton of energy into the stadium. Also, they used to do different things with the jumbotron every week. Remember the oblivious cam, or when they would put two guys who were clearly not together on the kiss cam? The random stuff like that that wasn't the same run of the mill thing every week. We get bulldog shuffle and the cartoon car race every week. They'd be fine once every couple seasons. But stuff gets worn out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hell, we put hashtags in the endzone and made a custom keyboard for your phone. What else do you want?***

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hell, we put hashtags in the endzone and made a custom keyboard for your phone. What else do you want?***

Be proactive and put PRESCOTT in the end zone once the gender reveal party announces it's a boy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login