Is this amateur hour at its finest?

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Who ******* cares. It means nothing and will have zero impact on anything. If you care about what Ian Rappaport or anyone else is tweeting about this story, that's your problem.

Go State! Beat Wisconsin!
If PSU loses does someone ask the question duringthe post-game presser, "Was dealing with the two players who were charged with rape this past week a distraction to you, your staff, or any of the players on the current roster?"

If this was asked to this board it would be an emphatic "YES!"

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
If PSU loses does someone ask the question duringthe post-game presser, "Was dealing with the two players who were charged with rape this past week a distraction to you, your staff, or any of the players on the current roster?"

I don't think it will necessarily take a loss for someone to ask about it. And I wouldn't be surprised if he opened with a quick, prepared statement about it.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I don't think it will necessarily take a loss for someone to ask about it. And I wouldn't be surprised if he opened with a quick, prepared statement about it.
You don't think he will double down on walking away from the podium and using the communications guy to make the statement from the side?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
You don't think he will double down on walking away from the podium and using the communications guy to make the statement from the side?
Nope. Something like "Guys, I want to apologize for Wednesday. I'm sorry we didn't handle it better and I have a lot of respect for the job you're doing. Thanks for being here to cover Penn State football and asking tough questions. I'd love to answer them, but I've been told that I can't make any comments while we let the legal process play out. This will be my last comment on the matter at this time, so what questions do you have about tonight's game?"

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Nope. Something like "Guys, I want to apologize for Wednesday. I'm sorry we didn't handle it better and I have a lot of respect for the job you're doing. Thanks for being here to cover Penn State football and asking tough questions. I'd love to answer them, but I've been told that I can't make any comments while we let the legal process play out. This will be my last comment on the matter at this time, so what questions do you have about tonight's win game?"
I hope that is what it sounds like. except for the one change i suggest.

If he does it just more proof of the BWI board's influence on the program and the CJF reads these posts.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
To me this is fairly simple from the Franklin perspective. The two players in question were dismissed from the team. What else can the coach possibly do or say beyond that fact? He is no longer their coach. It is a university issue at present and for the foreseeable future. Expecting a coach to comment publicly about his employer's legal matters is asinine.

The optics over how this state of affairs was handled at the press conference could be debated I guess. But don't you end up at the same place no matter how the microphone dance was conducted?

Reactions: grinagrin

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I hope that is what it sounds like. except for the one change i suggest.

If he does it just more proof of the BWI board's influence on the program and the CJF reads these posts.
Sounds like a good edit to me!

I was already convinced that BWI drives the Athletic Department back in 2021 when I proposed Micah Shrewsberry as my favorite candidate for the Men's Basketball job the day after Chambers was fired, and Sandy took my advice. We can only hope that Mr. Kraft gives the same level of value to our suggestions.

Reactions: SleepyLion

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
To me this is fairly simple from the Franklin perspective. The two players in question were dismissed from the team. What else can the coach possibly do or say beyond that fact? He is no longer their coach. It is a university issue at present and for the foreseeable future. Expecting a coach to comment publicly about his employer's legal matters is asinine.

The optics over how this state of affairs was handled at the press conference could be debated I guess. But don't you end up at the same place no matter how the microphone dance was conducted?
Nope...handle it like a "normal" athletic department handles it, and it's not front page news and a soundbite for everyone to weigh in on as they laugh at/criticize us. Franklin says "sorry, I've been advised that I'm not able to answer any questions on that matter" a couple of times, and it doesn't make it out of Center County.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Franklin is a PSU employee. He's beholden to how the University brass wants to handle this. I suspect this was a Legal/HR/Comms decision above him. He could be fired or reprimanded for going off script.

Why should he risk that? So some reporter can hear him personally state what the University already released? To quote Ricky Watters, "For who? For what?"

Reactions: grinagrin

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

An AD rep. will start by saying, “We are not here to discuss the ongoing legal matter or the loss to wisconsin. Please limit your questions to other topics. Thank you.”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Franklin is a PSU employee. He's beholden to how the University brass wants to handle this. I suspect this was a Legal/HR/Comms decision above him. He could be fired or reprimanded for going off script.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Kirby Smart gave a statement when his players accidentally killed someone while racing cars. He answered questions from the press about the culture of his football program. This was in March, two months after the event occurred. We are about that far removed from this incident. Yes, there is a legal process to play out and if Franklin can't say anything he's more than capable of saying that himself.

grinagrin

Oct 25, 2021

Kirby Smart gave a statement when his players accidentally killed someone while racing cars. He answered questions from the press about the culture of his football program. This was in March, two months after the event occurred. We are about that far removed from this incident. Yes, there is a legal process to play out and if Franklin can't say anything he's more than capable of saying that himself.
But what difference does it make whether Franklin says he can’t/won’t talk about it or a University Spokesperson says it?

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I'm late to this thread and I think there are a number of great points that have been made. I've sat in a ton of press conferences over the years and asked questions (mostly easy ones) in lots of them, so I'm going to give my perspective on this from that side of the microphone.

I was disappointed for Audrey's actions as well as those like Wolken, Rap, and Mandel who have fanned the flames further. I think a lot of reporters go into things with too narrow a focus instead of seeing the bigger picture. If the spokesperson comes out and gives the statement and no questions can be asked about it, I would be dismayed but if I've covered other legal proceedings in the past, I'd totally understand that a defense lawyer would seize on ANYTHING Franklin might say or do in order to help his client's case. Someone said asking about when he found out about the case and the process of dismissal. No chance he can answer that question because a lawyer will poke all kinds of holes in it. To me, reporters haven't quite grasped the whole legal concept of this. That's not to say that the questions they have are bad questions. There are a lot of questions I'd want Franklin to answer but I understand that it might be the summer or longer before he could even think of answering them. If I was one of the other writers on the beat, I'd have been mad at Audrey because Franklin could have easily just ended the media scrum (something that is done EVERY Wednesday after practice) due to one person's perceived misconduct. I've given more than one writer the side eye over the years for railroading a scrum with their own story agenda. Audrey is well within her right to do her job and ask questions and KEEP her media credential (you really think revoking it would be a good idea?) but I would have hoped some common sense would have kicked in once the spokesperson referred to the statement after Sauber first asked about it.

I will also agree that Franklin's theatrics was a terrible look and what has made all of this blow up. While a defense lawyer will look for anything to use for their case, Franklin simply standing there and giving Audrey a 'please refer to the statement' is pretty safe. I'm in agreement with @BiochemPSU that there needs to be some clearing up just so it can temper some of the negative press but also to maybe remind the scribblers about legal processes they may have conveniently forgotten. Though, it is a couple hours from that designated Friday news dump time so perhaps it's on its way. Unfortunately, some writer - national or otherwise - will target this as the biggest distraction if PSU loses tomorrow night.

OK, enough diatribe about something that could have easily been avoided on both sides. Let's get a win tomorrow night.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
I'm late to this thread and I think there are a number of great points that have been made. I've sat in a ton of press conferences over the years and asked questions (mostly easy ones) in lots of them, so I'm going to give my perspective on this from that side of the microphone.

I was disappointed for Audrey's actions as well as those like Wolken, Rap, and Mandel who have fanned the flames further. I think a lot of reporters go into things with too narrow a focus instead of seeing the bigger picture. If the spokesperson comes out and gives the statement and no questions can be asked about it, I would be dismayed but if I've covered other legal proceedings in the past, I'd totally understand that a defense lawyer would seize on ANYTHING Franklin might say or do in order to help his client's case. Someone said asking about when he found out about the case and the process of dismissal. No chance he can answer that question because a lawyer will poke all kinds of holes in it. To me, reporters haven't quite grasped the whole legal concept of this. That's not to say that the questions they have are bad questions. There are a lot of questions I'd want Franklin to answer but I understand that it might be the summer or longer before he could even think of answering them. If I was one of the other writers on the beat, I'd have been mad at Audrey because Franklin could have easily just ended the media scrum (something that is done EVERY Wednesday after practice) due to one person's perceived misconduct. I've given more than one writer the side eye over the years for railroading a scrum with their own story agenda. Audrey is well within her right to do her job and ask questions and KEEP her media credential (you really think revoking it would be a good idea?) but I would have hoped some common sense would have kicked in once the spokesperson referred to the statement after Sauber first asked about it.

I will also agree that Franklin's theatrics was a terrible look and what has made all of this blow up. While a defense lawyer will look for anything to use for their case, Franklin simply standing there and giving Audrey a 'please refer to the statement' is pretty safe. I'm in agreement with @BiochemPSU that there needs to be some clearing up just so it can temper some of the negative press but also to maybe remind the scribblers about legal processes they may have conveniently forgotten. Though, it is a couple hours from that designated Friday news dump time so perhaps it's on its way. Unfortunately, some writer - national or otherwise - will target this as the biggest distraction if PSU loses tomorrow night.

OK, enough diatribe about something that could have easily been avoided on both sides. Let's get a win tomorrow night.
Amen.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login