Is this SBW???

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I have not seen one thing about the Double Decker Festival

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I didn’t say it wasn’t marketed. I said I had not seen anything which seems like the entire crux of whether something has been marketed well. Im trying to imagine Starkville or msu defending its marketing by saying “it was in the clarion ledger”. This board would crucify them

Im very open to criticism of our marketing Id just like to see more than “our marketing sucks”.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If that’s the case, how does Spruill get elected?
While there have been some questionable initiatives, Starkville has gotten way better. I lived there from 94-2005 and if you wanted to go from one bar to another you had to drive. If you had a beer in your hand, good luck. Now the bars stay open later and you can have open containers at special events. The cotton district focus definitely benefits the college crowd (students and alumni) more than the non affiliated Starkville residents. I worked at a place that had a large non affiliated customer base in Starkville and the people could give two ***** about MSU back then. I’m not sure if that’s improved, but when I go back it seems like the town adopts the university better. Again, that may just be perception.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I hadn't seen it before googling it either, I meant to just point out the typical OM-CL marketing love affair. Not only is double decker happening this weekend... it has an "iconic" lineup and is possibly the greatest live event ever witnessed in Mississippi.

As usual, the folks in Oxford (and apparently Nashville) never lack for self-confidence, and that does tend to lead to better promotion of their town and related events. Even if most of it is self-generated promotion.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
While there have been some questionable initiatives, Starkville has gotten way better. I lived there from 94-2005 and if you wanted to go from one bar to another you had to drive. If you had a beer in your hand, good luck. Now the bars stay open later and you can have open containers at special events. The cotton district focus definitely benefits the college crowd (students and alumni) more than the non affiliated Starkville residents. I worked at a place that had a large non affiliated customer base in Starkville and the people could give two ***** about MSU back then. I’m not sure if that’s improved, but when I go back it seems like the town adopts the university better. Again, that may just be perception.
Anybody with a function brain would agree with you. Parker Wiseman jumpstarted a lot of the growth, and Spruill has sustained it.

You're just dealing with a few hot-taking upper-40s/early 50s mouth-breathers in Leeshouldveflanked, rugb and a few others like the OP. Starkville is doing just fine. I expect 2022/2023 will be a lot more smooth will all the COVID nonsense effectively behind us.

Are there some of the old guard still left around Starkville? Sure, but their influence is waning by the year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

People that try things are going to make bad/stupid decisions sometimes.

It absolutely makes sense that you want to space your crowd drawing events out. I think their mistake is as big as baseball is for MSU, you still need to pair it with other events to make a big weekend in the spring. Football is going to bring a big crowd on its own, so you do bulldog bash on a football weekend, and your weekend is huge. For the spring, you probably do need basseball games, the spring football game, and some sort of other event with music to make a good weekend. Seems like this would have been obvious without experimenting just based on baseball attendance numbers.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Listen to the podcast available. Mike Leach despises Spring games for a show. It’s a waste of one of 15 practice days available. He holds a Saturday practice, review and reset, Saturday practice, review and show who improved…. Coach, calls for constant improvement.

The Athletic Adm. and Lyn need to do better planning.

Attacking the AD’s religious beliefs should get anyone banned, if the monitors have any gonads. Hail State!

JunctionDog

Sep 22, 2013
Way to totally miss the point. No one said Starkville isn’t great or hasn’t come a long way from when I was there in early 2000’s. You’d be blind to think otherwise. The point is SBW is awful now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
In her first term she won by 7 votes. In the last one nobody ran. Those aren't telling me that she's actually popular.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019

If you lived here, which you obviously don’t, Spurill has next to no power and the aldermen control most of what’s going on in the city…with shitheads like Roy Perkins, who was quoted as saying you can smell alcohol walking into church from the bars that’s why it shouldn’t be sold before noon, progress will never be made

Spruill is trying…but she can’t do much with her hands tied

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
It's idiotic not to make SBW a big event and a reason to come to campus, on a date that is obviously not gonna be difficult to attend.

What's w the judgement on his faith though? Is Cohen Scientologist or something?

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I'd expect marketing to polish that turd and get the fans excited. That's like, the point. We're still defending national champs. First SBW to say that.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login