Is Vandy a must win?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
With our NET dropping to 44? It may drop again with a win. Losing could knock us out.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Shouldn’t drop at all with a win and will probably bump up. A loss wouldn’t be great, but it wouldn’t be catastrophic either. Vandy on the road is a Quad 2 game. USC has a NET of 238…and was a Quad 4 game. That’s why we saw the drop. I think we’ll possibly recover a spot or 2 after the Wednesday games are all completed.

Reactions: msudawg1200
Aug 22, 2012
I think it is a must win if you want to lock up a spot prior to the SEC Tournament. A win at Vandy makes the conference tournament inconsequential IMO.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
It is definitely a must win because we cannot afford a bad loss to end the season. A win doesnt improve anything but a loss does hurt

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We might be able to survive a loss but would be sweating it big time all the way to Selection Sunday. I would rather not have to do that so I’m going to say yes we need to win at Vandy.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
That '96 SEC final was one of the best wins State has ever had. Sadly, we didn't have a rematch for the NC.
Maybe the team just wasn't ready after the huge games the weekend before, but Boeheim outcoached Richard Williams, big time.

Reactions: patdog

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We MUST win at Vandy! A really close loss might give us an outside chance, but if we don't play well, end up losing by 6 or more, we're headed to the NIT.
Unless we could somehow end up in the finals of the SEC tourney.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yes, we're still a 'last team' or 'last bye' team in most projections. Vandy's not as bad as losing to SC, LSU, or Ole Miss, but it's still pretty damning.

I suppose we could lose to Vandy and make up for it in the SECT and hope the chalk holds on the mid-major and power conference tournaments, but unless you want to squeeze your sphincter while you watch Texas Tech or OK State play Kansas or Texas in the Big 12 Championship or Santa Clara against St. Mary's or Gonzaga in the WCC, then yes, Vandy is a must win.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It is definitely a must win because we cannot afford a bad loss to end the season. A win doesnt improve anything but a loss does hurt

It wouldn’t be a bad loss. It’s on the road, Vandy has a Top 100 NET, and they have been playing great basketball as of late. Wouldn’t shock me at all if they knocked off UK tonight.

Obviously, a win is the goal and you don’t want to string things out into the SEC Tourney. But its not cause to freak out yet if we don’t get it done.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Never like the sound of a must win vandy game in memorial. Legendary hosing's have occured in that gym.

Jan's should just take care of business and 'pitch camp' in mid-town until 3/8. Really no point in adding 10 hrs of travel in a week (seems like I always see the buses for baseball & hoops, so I'm assumping they drive).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Don't recall ever seeing any team play as many "must win" games as ours has this year. Just did a forum search and in past threads this season the following were referred to at least once as a "must win" TX A&M, Vandy, LSU, USCe, FL, MN, OM, Mizzu........

Last edited:

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think 1 win, either at Vandy or in the 1st game of the SEC tournament vs probably Vandy, Auburn or Missouri gets us in for sure. Lose 2 and we've still got a chance, but probably out.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
That '96 SEC final was one of the best wins State has ever had. Sadly, we didn't have a rematch for the NC.
It was a great time to be a student at MSU. Roommates and I had already made reservations in NOLA for spring break weekend and just happened to be checking in on championship Sunday. Checked with the hotel valet and were able to get tix to the game for just a few bucks.

The roar from KY fans in the Dome was deafening UNTIL we started kicking that *** and then MSU fans took over. It was so disappointing going back to the room to watch the selection show and realizing that the win basically did nothing for us as far as seeding.

Once the brackets were announced and we had the potential to play in Rupp, the Cat fans in the Quarter were very complimentary of the team and many offered places to stay. It was a great time.

Couple of months later I interned in Dayton Ohio and any person that saw us wearing MSU gear just raved about our team and the run to the Final Four. We got a ton of exposure that year and sadly never really built on it. Just a few months later in November, Whit, Bart and company (through no fault of their own) were getting their butts handed to them by Tim Duncan and Wake Forest and the magic was over.

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
Vandy is 85 net. UK is 19. If Vandy wins vs UK, its possible that will be a quad 1 game. Win another quad 1 and we are likely a 9 seed. Lose to Vandy and win 1 in sec tourny, we in.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
People here are way too optimistic about a team with a NET in the 40s and goes 8-10 in the SEC and 1-1 in the SEC Tournament.

As of right now, the consensus is that we're one of the last 4 in. Adding a semi-bad loss (not an awful one, but to a team that's not even on the fringe of discussion for the Tournament) and no real boost in SEC Tournament is going to make our resume weaker. And the current projections assume 0 bid-stealers, while it's fairly likely there will be at least 1 and possibly more.

We desperately need to win Saturday and give ourselves some breathing room. And even then, if we lose to Vanderbilt or Auburn next Thursday, I'm still sweating all weekend.

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
People here are way too optimistic about a team with a NET in the 40s and goes 8-10 in the SEC and 1-1 in the SEC Tournament.

As of right now, the consensus is that we're one of the last 4 in. Adding a semi-bad loss (not an awful one, but to a team that's not even on the fringe of discussion for the Tournament) and no real boost in SEC Tournament is going to make our resume weaker. And the current projections assume 0 bid-stealers, while it's fairly likely there will be at least 1 and possibly more.

We desperately need to win Saturday and give ourselves some breathing room. And even then, if we lose to Vanderbilt or Auburn next Thursday, I'm still sweating all weekend.
If we beat Vandy. We are in as a 9 or 10. Don't sweat it. The bubble is not packed this yr. Not many bid stealers either due to only a couple of mid majors strong enough to get in without winning their conf tourny.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don’t want to be one of the “last four in” with North Carolina one of the “first four out” going into Selection Sunday. That doesn’t seem like that would go well for us.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I look at it pretty simply. Our NCAA tournament starts in Nashville Saturday. Vandy is a pretty good draw for a play in game.

Just get it done.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe the team just wasn't ready after the huge games the weekend before, but Boeheim outcoached Richard Williams, big time.
You are an idiot. Was it Richard’s fault that everything we made the prior 3 weeks didn’t fall? Was it Richard’s fault that Bullard had 33 turnovers to pay off drug dealers that had bet with the Mob? Get your stupid *** comment the **** out of here. U sound just like the lady on my bus headed back to the hotel in NYC that said we will be back here next year because Bart Hyche is best shooter on the team. I told her then she was the most stupid State fan I had ever heard… and in all my days….. I have heard a lot.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Never read or heard anything about the Mob, drug deals, and Bullard. That's quite illuminating.
I ACTUALLY SAW Boeheim's extended zone defense cause the 9 turnovers Bullard committed that evening - except for maybe the one where the dribble rolled off his foot - along with the dozen other turnovers committed by players other than Bullard.
And I watched the Bulldogs coaching staff find no answer's for Boeheim's defense. In fact they kept attacking it the same way all evening long. They also never figured out how to cut off Syracuse's Otis Hill.
(Why, if one were a Q-Anon guy, you might think they were trying to pay off the Mob.)
I'm sure our coaching staff wanted to win as much as Marcus and the rest of the team, but they had no answer for a more seasoned coach who utilized his player's big bodies and athleticism very well.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login