Is Vandy a must win?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You are an idiot. Was it Richard’s fault that everything we made the prior 3 weeks didn’t fall? Was it Richard’s fault that Bullard had 33 turnovers to pay off drug dealers that had bet with the Mob? Get your stupid *** comment the **** out of here. U sound just like the lady on my bus headed back to the hotel in NYC that said we will be back here next year because Bart Hyche is best shooter on the team. I told her then she was the most stupid State fan I had ever heard… and in all my days….. I have heard a lot.

hes-an-angry-elf-buddy-the-elf.gif

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Several unforced turnovers that could have made the difference. During warm ups he kept licking his lips and acted funny. Very unlike previous games.
I was told by somebody on the team that for all of his faults, Bullard wanted to win and he actually just choked because he put too much pressure on himself, not because he was fixing the game. That was somebody defending their teammate obviously, but they weren't particularly complimentary of him otherwise so while they certainly could be wrong, didn't sound like it was just blind loyalty to a teammate.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I was told by somebody on the team that for all of his faults, Bullard wanted to win and he actually just choked because he put too much pressure on himself, not because he was fixing the game. That was somebody defending their teammate obviously, but they weren't particularly complimentary of him otherwise so while they certainly could be wrong, didn't sound like it was just blind loyalty to a teammate.
Bullard may not have been the best teammate and he was no model citizen off the court, but he was not coached well in the game against Syracuse and certainly not mentored in life as well as he needed to be.
Gotta be some big regrets there.
Sure wish he could have kept it together, would have made a big difference the following year.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'll never forget watching that Syracuse game and couldn't figure what the hell was going on. We were so great all season not turning the ball over especially on that run we made. Then KY wipes their asses with Syracuse after we had just whipped KY's *** in the SEC Tourney final.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
It was a great time to be a student at MSU. Roommates and I had already made reservations in NOLA for spring break weekend and just happened to be checking in on championship Sunday. Checked with the hotel valet and were able to get tix to the game for just a few bucks.

The roar from KY fans in the Dome was deafening UNTIL we started kicking that *** and then MSU fans took over. It was so disappointing going back to the room to watch the selection show and realizing that the win basically did nothing for us as far as seeding.

Once the brackets were announced and we had the potential to play in Rupp, the Cat fans in the Quarter were very complimentary of the team and many offered places to stay. It was a great time.

Couple of months later I interned in Dayton Ohio and any person that saw us wearing MSU gear just raved about our team and the run to the Final Four. We got a ton of exposure that year and sadly never really built on it. Just a few months later in November, Whit, Bart and company (through no fault of their own) were getting their butts handed to them by Tim Duncan and Wake Forest and the magic was over.
That WF team ended up #9 in the country, 2nd in the ACC that year. MSU was a total rebuild year. Malik's dad (Horatio Webster) was our best player. I had just moved to Winston-Salem, North Carolina (formerly NCDawg13) and obtained season tix @ WF via my (ex) wife's job. SO, even though WF beat us, I had the chance to watch Tim Duncan play in college. ACC basketball blows away SEC basketball, easily. At least, back in the 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I'll never forget watching that Syracuse game and couldn't figure what the hell was going on. We were so great all season not turning the ball over especially on that run we made. Then KY wipes their asses with Syracuse after we had just whipped KY's *** in the SEC Tourney final.
Sure seemed like our Coach, coaches, and our players were not prepared for that moment in terms of strategy or mental preparation. Everybody had a look of like "what the hell are we supposed to do now."
So weird after having such an incredible run to the Final Four.
Syracuse played a great game that day, but we were certainly capable of beating them.
There are several shots in the second half of Williams looking more resigned than resolute.
Maddening. The rematch with UK would have been so fun.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bullard gets a bad rap for that game. Syracuse just outplayed us and we had no idea how to attack their zone. Bullard had a lot of turnovers, but he also had 8 assists and 11 points on only 9 shots. Dontae Jones was 2-8 from behind the line, and we got 0 points from our bench. We also only forced 5 turnovers by Syracuse all day. The whole team just played a little flat after everything they'd been through the last 3 weekends.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Bullard gets a bad rap for that game. Syracuse just outplayed us and we had no idea how to attack their zone. Bullard had a lot of turnovers, but he also had 8 assists and 11 points on only 9 shots. Dontae Jones was 2-8 from behind the line, and we got 0 points from our bench. We also only forced 5 turnovers by Syracuse all day. The whole team just played a little flat after everything they'd been through the last 3 weekends.
Weren't we up like 9 at half?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Did not realize that. I think dribbling the ball off his foot and out of bounds when there was no pressure on him defined that game in a lot of people's mind, including mine. That and their upper classman that stayed in school after a bad draft grade (John Wallace or something like that?) going off on us.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Did not realize that. I think dribbling the ball off his foot and out of bounds when there was no pressure on him defined that game in a lot of people's mind, including mine. That and their upper classman that stayed in school after a bad draft grade (John Wallace or something like that?) going off on us.
He did. Wallace also went off on UGA in the regional final. If I remember that game went to the last shot - might have been overtime, otherwise would have been three SEC teams in the final four.

Edited, beat UGA in overtime in the Sweet Sixteen. they beat Kansas in the Final.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Don't recall ever seeing any team play as many "must win" games as ours has this year. Just did a forum search and in past threads this season the following were referred to at least once as a "must win" TX A&M, Vandy, LSU, USCe, FL, MN, OM, Mizzu........
We started out so bad in conference it just kind of was that way.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Sure seemed like our Coach, coaches, and our players were not prepared for that moment in terms of strategy or mental preparation. Everybody had a look of like "what the hell are we supposed to do now."
So weird after having such an incredible run to the Final Four.
Syracuse played a great game that day, but we were certainly capable of beating them.
There are several shots in the second half of Williams looking more resigned than resolute.
Maddening. The rematch with UK would have been so fun.
I watched every home game we had that season. It was one my next to last semester and I had a great time. I think your take is more likely the way things actually happened. I don't buy all the conspiracy theories because I don't think Bullard was that smart. The was a great squad but they just had no idea what the hell they were doing in New York and Syracuse played their *** off. I think the next game was the most boring NCAA final I probably have ever seen in college and yes, we should've had a rematch with Kentucky... But that's the way things go. The way college basketball is run ands made now you're more likely to have a huge winning run at the craps tables at Caesars Palace in Vegas than get MSU that winning run that puts us back to the Final Four again.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I watched every home game we had that season. It was one my next to last semester and I had a great time. I think your take is more likely the way things actually happened. I don't buy all the conspiracy theories because I don't think Bullard was that smart. The was a great squad but they just had no idea what the hell they were doing in New York and Syracuse played their *** off. I think the next game was the most boring NCAA final I probably have ever seen in college and yes, we should've had a rematch with Kentucky... But that's the way things go. The way college basketball is run ands made now you're more likely to have a huge winning run at the craps tables at Caesars Palace in Vegas than get MSU that winning run that puts us back to the Final Four again.
I agree. I sat in my seats and actually cried after that game because I knew and still know we will never get back… especially with a chance to win it all. I sold out tickets the next day and stayed drunk until our Tuesday flight out. Selling those 2 tickets payed for the whole trip plus an extra $1k. But would all give it back if we could have won.

That first half… man I was a nervous wreck being up big and then being tied at the half. I still have my vhs tape of the game and have never watched it to this day.

It was neat as hell to go to any bar in NYC and see folks you knew… but also because every damn bartender knew about State and majority had picked us to win.

I still say that we should mythically claim 3 National Championships because of our stupid Governor. Like another school claims for football.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Bullard also shot over 40% from 3-point range in that game, too. That dumb myth about him fixing the game was always lunatic fan tin foil hat BS. Morons who couldn’t reconcile the fact that it was still actually possible for us to not win the national championship after the UK / UConn / Cincinnati games just wouldn’t shut up about it.

Him having 8 or 9 turnovers or whatever it was against an elite defense also shouldn’t have shocked anybody. Bullard was NOT a point guard and that team didn’t even have one. He was just forced into it due to lack of other options. But lack of a true PG was a weakness all season for that team.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Him having 8 or 9 turnovers or whatever it was against an elite defense also shouldn’t have shocked anybody. Bullard was NOT a point guard and that team didn’t even have one. He was just forced into it due to lack of other options. But lack of a true PG was a weakness all season for that team.

Attachments

• This meme.jpg
    This meme.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Interesting tidbit about that Final Four. It is the last Final Four to be played in an actual basketball arena. Every one since then has been played in a huge dome in order for the NCAA to sell 60-70,000 tickets.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I remember Coach Williams getting pissed as hell and justifiably so about receiving caps that had "Mississippi" on them. It was a bad omen and I still refuse to believe that game wasn't rigged somehow.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Interesting tidbit about that Final Four. It is the last Final Four to be played in an actual basketball arena. Every one since then has been played in a huge dome in order for the NCAA to sell 60-70,000 tickets.
I will never pay top dollar to watch a basketball game in a football stadium. Terrible viewing experience for 90% of the people there.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Syracuse's two big men......6'9" Coleman and a 6'7" PF (name?) wore Dampier and Walters out inside. They were shooting over Damp and Walters all night long and we couldn't stop them.

Reactions: onewoof

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Bullard also shot over 40% from 3-point range in that game, too. That dumb myth about him fixing the game was always lunatic fan tin foil hat BS. Morons who couldn’t reconcile the fact that it was still actually possible for us to not win the national championship after the UK / UConn / Cincinnati games just wouldn’t shut up about it.

He wasn't a true point guard but it wasn't like he didn't have the handles for it.

Like a lot of teams, we just weren't ready for Boheims matchup zone. It wasn't exactly new, but I think he had just committed to doing zone full time that year or the year before and it let him really dial it in and add some wrinkles because that's all they practiced.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Syracuse's two big men......6'9" Coleman and a 6'7" PF (name?) wore Dampier and Walters out inside. They were shooting over Damp and Walters all night long and we couldn't stop them.

John Wallace was a big time college player. Not many stopped him.

I think the other guy you're thinking of was Otis Hill, who played really well in that postseason.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login