Islamarado vs Key Largo

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Headed to Miami on business in September. Arriving 2 days early. I want to head into the keys but don't to drive 4 hours each way and use up my available time. Appears for a more laid back vibe, Islamarado is a better option than Key Largo. Thoughts? Suggestions? I want to be able to walk out of my hotel and walk left or right and check out local bars and laid back cafe's restaurants - kind of like a Duvall feel. Looks like if I want a place to stay with a beach that has an afternoon sunset, I'll need to stay on the west/north side of Hwy 1? I just dont' want to stay in a hotel or an area that has all marinas, etc...... Is there a specific area there I need to look for that to get that? Also good dive bars and food recommendations welcome. I'll be in a suit and tie in Miami, so I'm looking places for nothing but shorts and flip flops at Ilsamarado.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Going to be more bar options in Key Largo but the 2 famous ones are in Islamorada - Cheeca Lodge and Holiday Isle Tiki Bar and those two are about 3 miles apart - or 30 minutes depending on when you’re there.
If you want Duvall St- have to go on to KW
Flip flops and tee shirts are required- you’re in the Keys man.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
We stayed in marathon but visited all the keys towns. I really like islamorada. Key Largo didn’t give me the ‘key vibes’ that the others did. Robby’s in islamorada is a must.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Islamarado is better but more expensive. They filmed blood line at one of the bed breakfast places.

Some decent eating places in key largo. Not as much of what you think of the Keyes but a lot closer to Miami. It's quite the drive out there

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Our family did the Keys trip last year; Islamorada then down to Key West primarily for fishing. There really are not any beaches there like the gulf coast and there’s a seriously smelly sargassum problem that many probably don’t like.
If I were you I would stick with Key largo, there’s nice Marriott and Hilton resorts, awesome snorkeling park, and not as far. Go fishing if you can. Marathon had a really nice public beach as well but is farther down.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Also true. Really don't have the same beaches so it's a different kind of trip. More of boating, snorkeling, fishing, drinking

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Bahia Honda park? I think that’s how it’s spelled. The place we stayed at had a nice man-made beach, but the park had the nicest public beach we could find.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I spent a week on Bahia Honda. A couple of nice beaches. Not nearly as many beaches in the keys as you would expect. And like somebody else said, it's a good little drive from Miami proper to even Islamorada

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, is the one near Key largo, beautiful clear waters

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Islamorado is neat. Tiki bar was cool. There was a place that i had a blackened grouper sandwich, but i can not remember the name. Bahai Honda park is absolutely amazing.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Key Largo is okay, but it still feels like the Miami area/Homestead etc. If its between those two and your looking for the Keys "feel" definitely Islamorada. You wont find a Duval street atmosphere there. You have to go to KW for that, but it has some cool bars as others have listed and it sounds like its more what you are looking for. I prefer Marathon when we go. Its a larger area with a little more to do, but most everything still shuts down by 9 or 10. Bahia Honda is by far the nicest beach in the Keys and its about 45 min to an hour south of Marathon. Worth the trip if you have time. Sept is prime hurricane season though. Keep your eyes on the forecast.

noledawg.sixpack

Jun 27, 2010
Headed to Miami on business in September. Arriving 2 days early. I want to head into the keys but don't to drive 4 hours each way and use up my available time. Appears for a more laid back vibe, Islamarado is a better option than Key Largo. Thoughts? Suggestions? I want to be able to walk out of my hotel and walk left or right and check out local bars and laid back cafe's restaurants - kind of like a Duvall feel. Looks like if I want a place to stay with a beach that has an afternoon sunset, I'll need to stay on the west/north side of Hwy 1? I just dont' want to stay in a hotel or an area that has all marinas, etc...... Is there a specific area there I need to look for that to get that? Also good dive bars and food recommendations welcome. I'll be in a suit and tie in Miami, so I'm looking places for nothing but shorts and flip flops at Ilsamarado.

I think it depends on what you plan to do with your time. If you are planning on fishing or looking for more laid back (in my opinion Keys experience) I'd do Islamorada. Like another poster said, Key Largo just kind of feels like a suburb of Miami/Homestead (a nice suburb). The tradeoff is that Key Largo is a hell of a lot closer. I'll second Cheeca Lodge that a poster mentioned earlier in Islamorada.

Aug 24, 2012
I do client fly fishing trip to Islamorada every year and it's fantastic. 10 guys and we always stay at the little basin villlas. Nice and super easy for fishing. They have their own dock and guides pull their boats right up to it. Cheeca is also great. Highly recommend dinner one night at Chef Michaels. I will tell you, if you do decide on Islamorada, make your reservations now. Every place down there is jammed up

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
https://www.kontiki-resort.com/

I stayed at this place a few years back. It was nice and relaxing little area. We had a boat so we were able to use it to go from place to place instead of spending 30 minutes driving a quarter of a mile in the traffic this time of year. In September, it shouldn't be as bad though.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Bahia Honda park? I think that’s how it’s spelled. The place we stayed at had a nice man-made beach, but the park had the nicest public beach we could find.
Yep. I fly fished there when we went down for the Orange Bowl. It is cool to be able to wade in clear water for hundreds of yards.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login