It’s a bad bad thing

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
To have a middle infield that is so poor at the plate. Not many teams win anything of consequence when your middle infield can’t hit. Not sure how this staff let it happen.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If this is what we can expect from our lineup against SEC pitching this year, this is going to be one hell of a grind

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
And Hines is being humbled big time. You can’t swing at everything. Dude needs to learn To take a walk

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
But it didn’t have to be. We signed guys that can’t hit. How does Georgia sign them and we can’t?

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
To have a middle infield that is so poor at the plate. Not many teams win anything of consequence when your middle infield can’t hit. Not sure how this staff let it happen.

We won a natty which I never thought I’d see in my lifetime after Schaefer couldn’t close the deal. I’ll gladly accept whatever fate is bestowed upon us in baseball this year.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Well, I’m not wired that way. I want to win and hit. And we aren’t. And that falls squarely on the guys in charge? At some point we have to sacrifice “connections” for a coach that can actually coach hitting.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
And Hines is being humbled big time. You can’t swing at everything. Dude needs to learn To take a walk

Out of the nine hitters. You're going to call out Hines with the highest batting avg, most HRs, and 4th most walks?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well, I’m not wired that way. I want to win and hit. And we aren’t. And that falls squarely on the guys in charge? At some point we have to sacrifice “connections” for a coach that can actually coach hitting.

Right... at this point I'm torn on whether to tell you to take a chill pill or go ahead and step closer to the ledge.

Ambiguous name? Check. Extremely low post count? Check. What do you think boys?

One more time guys, this is not last year's team.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
we're not a good, sound baseball team right now. hope they make drastic improvements through the spring, but I just don't have that good vibe about this team as i did last year's team. Last year's team started slow, but showed promise. This team doesn't show any promise at all. OM may score 100 runs on us that series. I know it's taboo here, but I'm no Jake G fan. Haven't been since he got here. He doesn't develop hitters. If they don't have "it" when they arrive on campus, they aren't going to get it in two or three years on campus.

Feb 23, 2008
This is absolute fact. But we tap our chests with two strikes. I mean that's cool right? But seriously our veterans are doing a great job of proving your point. Very little development year to year.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
As of this moment, this is the worst hitting team in the league. It should not be that way. You have to wonder what is going on in off season. They don’t come into the year prepared. And it’s not just this year. It’s not jumping off the ledge. A month in and nothing has changed.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We lost a lot of production and leadership from last years team. We all assumed that someone would step up and fill that void but so far no one has. It’s easy to say that they spent too much of the off-season basking in last years glory but we as casual observers don’t really know. I thought earlier in the year that it was just a slump but lately have began to believe that it’s more than that. We may learn a hard lesson this year.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
I’m sure things will be done differently In the future if we win again. It won’t be the first and that could have something to do with the poor play. Bur I honestly think they are trying and working. It’s just not working right now. This is the hardest the staff has had to coach since being here. So far they, aren’t showing much and need to do a better job in a lot of areas. This is a great lesson and sometimes the best thing is to get your *** kicked. Winners and mentally tough guys will eventually get sick of it....hopefully

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
We have a piecemeal team. Luke Hancock has no business playing first base. James is not an infielder, and should be playing outfield. Cumbest is an athlete that can hit, not necessarily a baseball player. Our middle infield can’t hit worth ****.

We have guys in positions that they never played before coming to state. It is a result of poor planning and poor recruiting.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
We have a piecemeal team. Luke Hancock has no business playing first base. James is not an infielder, and should be playing outfield. Cumbest is an athlete that can hit, not necessarily a baseball player. Our middle infield can’t hit worth ****.

We have guys in positions that they never played before coming to state. It is a result of poor planning and poor recruiting.

THIS on so many levels. You have to wonder how much coaching turnover has attributed to this. I’m sure it hasn’t helped. Someone said on another site that is Hancock and James weren’t from Mississippi they wouldn’t be playing. I’m not willing to go down that road just yet, but it may be a sign that the staff has to go beyond the boundaries of Mississippi to get the best players. Cumbest would not be starting for many other teams in our league. Why are we settling for that? And after 4 years of not having a true first baseman, you would think that would be fixed too. These has always been issues though but Macnamee, Mangum, Jordan, and Allen masked all of that. This is the year if could finally be catching up.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Am I the only one who noticed we hit a lot of balls really hard off of a really good pitcher and weren't far from a much better offensive number for the game?

Guess so.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Am I the only one who noticed we hit a lot of balls really hard off of a really good pitcher and weren't far from a much better offensive number for the game?

Guess so.

No, you aren’t. But that’s another common thing. They are not hits and they are not scoring runs. So what difference does it make? Very little adjustments are being made. They are just swinging (Hines) and going through the motions.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is what people severely underestimated. We lost the heart and soul of that team except for Sims and then we lost him too. You don't just plug new guys in and replace that. We'll be doing good to go 13-17 and make a regional.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007

Guess so.
That is baseball. You're correct, we made contact all night.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
As of this moment, this is the worst hitting team in the league. It should not be that way. You have to wonder what is going on in off season. They don’t come into the year prepared. And it’s not just this year. It’s not jumping off the ledge. A month in and nothing has changed.

It’s not? Interesting take…please tell us more about how unprepared we’ve been during this stretch where we are defending national 17ing champions, have 5 straight Super Regional appearances, 3 straight CWS appearances, 2 CWS semifinals appearances, and an SEC regular season title since 2016.

It might be a down year…who gives a ****? We lost an absolute ton of talent off last year’s team before this year even started. We returned the biggest talent on the roster, but already lost him for the year. **** happens. If there was ever in history a mulligan year for an MSU sports team, this is it.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’d kill to see our middle infield get that high.

I posted a couple weeks ago that it's embarrassing when we have so many supposed good hitters they are even breaking 250 when the team we were playing had several in 400. It's embarrassing at an sec school we can't find hitters that can hit consistently

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
I posted a couple weeks ago that it's embarrassing when we have so many supposed good hitters they are even breaking 250 when the team we were playing had several in 400. It's embarrassing at an sec school we can't find hitters that can hit consistently

It’s maddening. Why is Mississippi State the worst hitting team in the league? It doesn’t make any sense. We have one guy (I don’t count Davis) hitting over 300. On an SEC baseball team. My gosh, how the hell does that happen?

Feb 23, 2008
It’s definitely embarrassing. Of the 3 middle infielders, Yeager leads with a

Robust .244 average. I’ll always respect Leggett and last year will go down as one of the most clutch hits I’ve ever seen but he’s simply not an everyday type player. Of course if Forsythe could even hit period then this wouldn’t even be discussed. I’m more disappointed in Hancock actually. Has the reputation as a great hitter but it’s not showing. Has a great eye at the plate but we need more than walks. When he puts the ball in play, 8 times out of 10 it’s a chopper right at the first baseman. After tonight we’re hitting .261 as a team. More should be expected from a fairly veteran lineup.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Robust .244 average. I’ll always respect Leggett and last year will go down as one of the most clutch hits I’ve ever seen but he’s simply not an everyday type player. Of course if Forsythe could even hit period then this wouldn’t even be discussed. I’m more disappointed in Hancock actually. Has the reputation as a great hitter but it’s not showing. Has a great eye at the plate but we need more than walks. When he puts the ball in play, 8 times out of 10 it’s a chopper right at the first baseman. After tonight we’re hitting .261 as a team. More should be expected from a fairly veteran lineup.

You said it in your post regarding Hancock. He is good for walks and advancing runners. He will never be a plus hitter. And I don’t think he’s looking to hit honestly. He needs to change that. We need runs not sac flys to third. But right now he’s not getting on at all. Maybe he needs do sit for a few.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Little early to be giving up. A .300 hitter doesn't get 3 hits in every 10 at bats. I think you have to have more than 1 SEC away game against their number 1 starter to declare it a total failure.

Historically I am sure you can correct me, but during my time our SS and 2B weren't great hitters. I can't remember too many middle infielders other than Adam Frazier who were really good hitters at MSU.

I am curious if the internet existed when I played if I would have been better or worse. Having a bunch of asswipes telling me I can't do something would sure give me a bunch of incentive to prove them wrong. Maybe I would have gotten it going earlier in my sophmore year. It can take time for some people to adjust to facing college pitching everyday. I am not ready to give up on these guys just yet. Also when you have that player leadership vacuum there can be an adjustment if no one is ready to take that on.

Last edited:

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Little early to be giving up. A .300 hitter doesn't get 3 hits in every 10 at bats. I think you have to have more than 1 SEC away game against their number 1 starter to declare it a total failure.

Historically I am sure you can correct me, but during my time our SS and 2B weren't great hitters. I can't remember too many middle infielders other than Adam Frazier who were really good hitters at MSU.

I am curious if the internet existed when I played if I would have been better or worse. Having a bunch of asswipes telling me I can't do something would sure give me a bunch of incentive to prove them wrong. Maybe I would have gotten it going earlier in my sophmore year. It can take time for some people to adjust to facing college pitching everyday. I am not ready to give up on these guys just yet. Also when you have that player leadership vacuum there can be an adjustment if no one is ready to take that on.

What type of pitching have Kam James and Luke Hancock been facing for the last three years? What exactly are they trying to adjust to? And maybe that’s their problem. Maybe They spend too much time worried about what people are saying on Twitter. And what does your time playing have anything to do with now? Times have changed and your middle infield needs to be able to be serviceable at the plate.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009

Apparently more was expected from this team by people who are not fans. State started out ranked between 4 and 8 in every major baseball publication. So the writers sure thought we had the nucleus for a great run again. Something happened in fall ball that started this team on a downward trend. I don’t know if it was issues with who made the 38 man roster and who didn’t, but something changed. We fans often get upset at our guys taking called strike 3, but I am beginning to think they may have to take a few of those to keep from constantly chasing breaking balls in the dirt or a foot outside and swing over the top of an inside slider down and in. When they make contact it is usually weak and right at a fielder. They scorched a few tonight, but got goose eggs.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A few weeks back, we were talking about what we’d need to do to be in the national seed picture. Then, the conversation turned to hosting.

Now, I’m honestly starting to wonder if we’ll see a postseason at all this year. We have struggled against several mediocre to downright bad teams already, and we all know this, but we haven’t even gotten to the meat of our schedule yet.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Those 2 are what they are. Kam James has regressed throughout his career and Luke will probably end up .275 - .300. IMO they shouldn't be the hitters you rely on. Kam is probably who I think is most hurt by being too selective. I have said for quite awhile he needs to be a more agressive hitter. The core of the hitters should be Clark, Cumbest, Hines and Tanner. Those 4 are legit power and can carry a team at times. The first 3 are the ones I think will show improvement with confidence and experience.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I respect Kyle Peterson (ESPN). He watch Hunter slap the breeze on a first pitch slider. He then said, “And with that strike, he will never see a fast ball from Conner. This is a Friday night SEC lesson for the freshman.”

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I respect Kyle Peterson (ESPN). He watched Hunter slap the breeze on a first pitch slider. He then said, “And with that strike, he will never see a fast ball from Cannon. This is a Friday night SEC lesson for the freshman.”

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I've got your Y chromosomes that y'all dropped...after reading this thread, one would think we got swept

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
I've got your Y chromosomes that y'all dropped...after reading this thread, one would think we got swept

Hah! Just keep watching. That’s a real possibility with the way this team is performing. They look pretty clueless.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Funny you didn’t ***** about James and Hancock last year did you! So the team is off to a rocky start and all of a sudden you appear along with the other complainer’s.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Funny you didn’t ***** about James and Hancock last year did you! So the team is off to a rocky start and all of a sudden you appear along with the other complainer’s.

At some point it’s stops being a “rocky start” and it’s just reality. That’s where we are now. Past “rocky start”. I don’t understand why people continue to make excuses for them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login