It’s been ups and downs but Foxhall is the most valuable coach on staff.

Feb 23, 2008
I know I know. We’ve walked a ton and our ERA is awful. I’ve been pissed. But let’s look at how we’ve progressed recently. That’s 4 straight league games where pitching has kept us in it despite being down 4 pitchers who’ve pitched a ton of innings. Can’t blame this at all on the staff. An error is all that separated this game. Even Tullar did his job and Fristoe was as good as he’s been all year. Something’s gotta give with our hitting, our approach, and the whole 9 yards. We’ve got Tanner up there first pitch swinging with 1 out and no one on in the 9th down 2 runs. That’s just 1 of a plethora of horrendously bad at bats.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Agree. This HR/K MLB a offensive mentality is killing us.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
This bad season is falling directly on Gautreau.

I worried before the year about how this lineup was built. A ton of guys that are very boom or bust, not many steady Eddie’s. It’s one of the better power hitting teams in program history but on the whole still not a very good offense. We strike out way too much and struggle to advance runners.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I worried before the year about how this lineup was built. A ton of guys that are very boom or bust, not many steady Eddie’s. It’s one of the better power hitting teams in program history but on the whole still not a very good offense. We strike out way too much and struggle to advance runners.

We need more of a Jake Mangum approach and less of a Dave Kingman approach.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
Sorry guys - but Foxhall hasn’t demonstrated the ability to elevate pitchers year over year. If anything - more regress or stagnate. While our pitching did enough to win last night - OM is not a good hitting team right now. Think of three good pitchers who were freshmen last year - at least 2 are worse this year. It is a problem!

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Amazing how a guy who has been the only constant in 3 consecutive CWS runs and a National Championship suddenly can't coach a lick. Good to have the experts here clear things up.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Seems to me like you can blame one for half the games, one for the other half, with plenty of overlap. But the main thing you blame is injuries. We wouldn't be in hosting contention, but we would be in regional contention.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m to the point where I’m just gonna have to give everyone a pass this season. There isn’t a whole lot that Foxhall has done to impress me this year, and for every pitcher that seems to be turning a corner, there are a couple more that have been unmitigated disasters all season. However, this train wreck surely isn’t all on Foxhall or the pitching staff.

We’ve got a lot to work out this off-season

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Sorry guys - but Foxhall hasn’t demonstrated the ability to elevate pitchers year over year. If anything - more regress or stagnate. While our pitching did enough to win last night - OM is not a good hitting team right now. Think of three good pitchers who were freshmen last year - at least 2 are worse this year. It is a problem!

Johnson, the Smiths, and Hunt are all pretty clearly improved from where they were a year ago. We do have some guys that aren't progressing quickly but we've also been ravaged by injuries. We're working with about half a deck on the mound. Frankly it could be a lot worse than it's been lately, outside of the Sunday LSU game and the 9th inning of that Friday game, we've pitched it pretty well the last few weeks.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Fox has gotten the most out of what he’s had to work with. The offense however….

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
There is plenty of blame to go around. I appreciate the improvement we've seen in our pitching lately but our team ERA is still nearly 5 and we've lost a number of games this season where we've scored plenty but the pitching fell apart (games against Tulane and Georgia were ridiculously bad). Given the injury situation though I will agree that right now the pitching staff is doing well and its the offense that is really letting us down. 2 runs in our last 2 SEC games is pathetic.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Last year we hit .278. This year we are at .275.
Last year, 7 runs/game. This year 7.5.
OBP last year .375, this year .380.
Hits per game last year 9.47, this year 9.39
Strikeouts 6.7 per game last year, this year it's up to 8.29.

OK, everyone continue dumping on Gautreau.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
2 runs in our last 2 SEC games is pathetic.

And it's the same thing again - both runs on solo homers scattered between a bunch of quick 12 pitch innings for our opponent. The inability to string together 3 hits in the same inning is maddening. We lead off an inning with a double, and strand him at second after popup flyout K. No change in approach whether runners on base or not, we're leading or trailing, close game or blowout. It's just a contest at this point to see who can get to 15 solo homers first.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Last year in conference we hit .265. We are at .252 right now. Conference strikeouts are 9.8 per game. Last year it was 7.1. The real problem is during the last 10 conference games we are averaging 3.9 runs per game. The 10 game skid isn’t a coincidence. Georgia and Bama (our first two series) have two of the worst staffs in the conference

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Those strikeouts are a big deal. Just dead outs making nothing happen.

But I agree that it's dumb to dump on Gotro.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And in fairness to him, he and Lem been vocal about trying to get the lineup to use the middle of the field and not try to hit HRs every time.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Where are the freaking conference only stats???????????? They aren't on the hailstate website.

Here's another negative - in eight of our ten SEC losses, we have three runs or less. Last year for the whole season we only had three such SEC games.

Feb 23, 2008
Stats are a complex thing and 8Dog covered the league stats to give us a more clear view of how we faced against better pitching. I'd only just add another element to the discussion. Walks are way down. I realize we've played far fewer games so far but we've walked 186 times this year compared to 306 walks last year. There's literally no way of coming close to that. We aren't working the pitcher like we should. Compare those 186 walks to our 323 strikeouts so far and that's about as pathetic of a stat as you'll ever find. Our approach is awful. Whether that's a player thing or coach thing, I don't know. I can't imagine any coach telling guys to only swing for the fence but at the same time, I've seen no adjustment either. Gautreau's a big boy with a nice salary. He's not above criticism.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Overall we are averaging more walks per game than last year. In conference it’s about the same.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Last year in conference we hit .265. We are at .252 right now. Conference strikeouts are 9.8 per game. Last year it was 7.1. The real problem is during the last 10 conference games we are averaging 3.9 runs per game. The 10 game skid isn’t a coincidence. Georgia and Bama (our first two series) have two of the worst staffs in the conference

Yep, conference only stats is the only real apples to apples comparison. Too much randomness in who everyone has play as OOC opponents. And we were not exactly an offensive juggernaut for most of last year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Perfect example of why "that's baseball."

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
What the heck is up with Logan Tanner pulling his back foot when he's swinging a baseball bat? It's bothered me for 2 years now. I know he runs into one every now and then, but his mechanics are God-awful.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login