It’s time….

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
What has Tx done already? I don't see anything anywhere. Not a fan of Tx but kinda odd to want to get rid of them already.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Isn't today the official day of joining? I noticed the SEC network was showing Oklahoma gymnastic team this morning. I really hate Texas joinig. They have been a wart to every conference they been a part of.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I predict they won't. There's a lot bigger and more powerful schools in this conference than any other conference they've been part of.
Yeah, I don’t see security in Baton Rouge telling students you can’t wear horns down shirts. Hell, they’ll probably incorporate it into Neck.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
SEC Network just added several million new monthly subscribers, automatically overnight.

If you have ESPN in Texas and Oklahoma, you now have it and the additional charge just shows up on your cable bill.

patdog

May 28, 2007
SEC Network just added several million new monthly subscribers, automatically overnight.

If you have ESPN in Texas and Oklahoma, you now have it and the additional charge just shows up on your cable bill.
Texas added 0 SECN subscribers. Oklahoma added a few though. This wasn't about expanding SECN footprint like the last expansion was. This was about national viewership.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Texas added 0 SECN subscribers. Oklahoma added a few though. This wasn't about expanding SECN footprint like the last expansion was. This was about national viewership.
Correct, Texas did not add they moved from the Longhorn Network. However, that distribution total is now added to the SEC member schools.

Also, I am guessing they modified the mapped areas of Texas that now have ESPN with SEC Network. It is possible it is the entire state now instead of just parts of Texas.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You do realize we’re a founding member of the conference? Unless the SEC ceases to exist we’ll always be in it
There's nothing that would stop a majority of the other schools from kicking any member out if they want to. The "founding member" myth was debunked over a decade ago. In the real world, I don't think anyone's getting kicked out any time soon. But who knows what the future holds?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You do realize we’re a founding member of the conference? Unless the SEC ceases to exist we’ll always be in it
It's a 2/3 vote, founding member or not, so all it takes is 11.

https://www.secsports.com/sec-bylaws Page 3:

*3.1.5 Termination of Membership. Membership of a member may be terminated involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of all the Chief Executive Officers is required to terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination.

So, while it's very unlikely to happen, there's nothing in the By-Laws stopping these schools:
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M

From dropping these schools:
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Missouri

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

*3.1.5 Termination of Membership. Membership of a member may be terminated involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of all the Chief Executive Officers is required to terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination.

So, while it's very unlikely to happen, there's nothing in the By-Laws stopping these schools:
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M

Mississippi State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Arkansas and Kentucky are also not too far from being in that tier with us, although they’ve got some protections due to basketball tradition and marketability.

The reality is those 2, plus South Carolina, are in a neutral tier between the 9 super-tier teams, and the remaining schools (us, OM, Mizzou, Vandy).

Any motion to remove the 4 below teams so everyone would get a bigger cut would involve that group of 9 courting the 3 neutral schools to vote in a bloc with them, for their future interest. It then becomes a prisoner’s dilemma. They’d only need 2 of the 3 votes from the “swing” schools. But, all 3 would be terrified of being the only one to vote against if the other 2 were in favor….because they’d be next on the chopping block. So, chances are that they’d get at least one more vote than needed.

Thing is, 3 of those 9 super-tier teams have been in the league for less than 15 years. Pre-realignment craze, any of the have-not schools getting the boot was farfetched, as they’d have needed 8 of 12 from the pre-2012 SEC….or 10 of 14 from the pre-2024 SEC. That’s no longer the case, with the super-tier increasing in size by 50% while the league as a whole has only increased in size by 33%.

That said, I don’t see a serious vote for giving anyone the boot coming for awhile, not before other options are exercised first, and probably not until the next major round of realignment. But you can bet your asś that uneven revenue sharing will be on the table very soon. I’d bet within 10 years, MSU is taking home a much smaller annual check than the big schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSUDOG24 and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas and Kentucky are also not too far from being in that tier with us, although they’ve got some protections due to basketball tradition and marketability.

The reality is those 2, plus South Carolina, are in a neutral tier between the 9 super-tier teams, and the remaining schools (us, OM, Mizzou, Vandy).

Any motion to remove the 4 below teams so everyone would get a bigger cut would involve that group of 9 courting the 3 neutral schools to vote in a bloc with them, for their future interest. It then becomes a prisoner’s dilemma. They’d only need 2 of the 3 votes from the “swing” schools. But, all 3 would be terrified of being the only one to vote against if the other 2 were in favor….because they’d be next on the chopping block. So, chances are that they’d get at least one more vote than needed.

Thing is, 3 of those 9 super-tier teams have been in the league for less than 15 years. Pre-realignment craze, any of the have-not schools getting the boot was farfetched, as they’d have needed 8 of 12 from the pre-2012 SEC….or 10 of 14 from the pre-2024 SEC. That’s no longer the case, with the super-tier increasing in size by 50% while the league as a whole has only increased in size by 33%.

That said, I don’t see a serious vote for giving anyone the boot coming for awhile, not before other options are exercised first, and probably not until the next major round of realignment. But you can bet your asś that uneven revenue sharing will be on the table very soon. I’d bet within 10 years, MSU is taking home a much smaller annual check than the big schools.
Yeah, when I made the hypothetical list, I felt like Arkansas and South Carolina were interchangeable. I just wanted to make an 11-5 split for visualization purposes. I gave Kentucky the benefit of the doubt since they’re a men’s basketball blueblood, but yeah, they’re not on the same level as Alabama, OU, LSU, etc.

If something were to ever happen, it’s a lot more likely that it would be 12 breaking away from 4 with South Carolina, Arkansas, and Kentucky rounding out the 12 and State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Vandy being left out.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
…and take Miz-poo with you!
Nah.....keep schools like Mizzou. They bring 6 million sets of eyeballs and we have a punchers chance of beating them in most sports on a reasonable basis. If we keep adding schools like TX, TAMU, OK, etc. Miss. St. will just keep getting pushed down the SEC pecking order with Vandy and a few others. Add NCState, VaTech, WVirginia, & maybe another Florida team like either Miami or UCF. No, and not FSU!! A trip to Miami in winter time certainly has warm benefits for traveling Bulldog families.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, when I made the hypothetical list, I felt like Arkansas and South Carolina were interchangeable. I just wanted to make an 11-5 split for visualization purposes. I gave Kentucky the benefit of the doubt since they’re a men’s basketball blueblood, but yeah, they’re not on the same level as Alabama, OU, LSU, etc.

If something were to ever happen, it’s a lot more likely that it would be 12 breaking away from 4 with South Carolina, Arkansas, and Kentucky rounding out the 12 and State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Vandy being left out.
A couple of things to add to this. One, I think we're safe for sure at least until it become feasible to raid the desirable ACC schools. I could see a scenario where the SEC might add 4 ACC schools then get back to 16 (especially if the Big has growth pains with 18 schools spread all over the country). Two, if that happens, don't be so sure Mississippi would be one of the schools cut. I used to think they would be, but they're investing heavily in football and it's paying off for them.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

That’s plausible, but it’s weird to think about the voting logistics. I don’t know that the bylaws would allow you to vote on more than one school at a time. The 4 schools getting kicked out would each still have votes for when the other 3 schools came up for discussion, and unless the exit date was like, the next day, they’d still have votes for future membership proposals, too.

My 15-year outlook:

(TLDR version: We’re 100% guaranteed to keep falling further and further behind the bluebloods….but uneven revenue sharing is likely the way for it to occur).

1) Eventually we start the 9 game SEC slate sometime in the next few years. That’s the low hanging increased revenue fruit #1 that is out there….especially for the super-tier teams now that the CFP is expanded.

2) Something will blow up the ACC (either the lawsuits, teams buying out of the GOR, or expiration of GOR). This will initiate the next major round of realignment, with FSU / Clemson / UVa / UNC / Miami being the most sought after pieces. Va Tech, NC State, and maybe Duke become nice consolation prizes. This may take 5-7 years or so….depending on what happens with the lawsuits.

3) Existing super-tier SEC members realize that, outside of FSU and maybe Miami / Clemson, the TV revenue share doesn’t greatly increase with additional members. In fact, it might actually decrease for some. BUT, they also realize that new member schools reset the SEC Network terms. The new low-hanging fruit, whenever it happens.

4) ESPN / Fox start throwing their weight around and doing back channel negotiations as to who they think adds what value to where, as far as ACC teams are concerned. The SEC and B1G are intimately involved in these discussions (and perhaps even with each other).

5) SEC and B1G begin talking revenue numbers with prospective suitors. Some may get a full cut, some may not. Either way, these figures will be mostly known and agreed to before invitations are extended.

6) 2-4 teams get voted into the SEC. I’d guess they take FSU / Clemson, then the best 2 they could get from NC and Virginia schools. Might look at Miami, who knows. Membership now at 18-20. Revenue share probably not greatly changed from adding their ACC Network cuts to existing SEC deal, although ESPN would make concessions.

7) New formal TV deal negotiations resume to upgrade the terms for existing SEC members. In the past, the SEC has gained agreements on bigger payouts for all members than the previous deals, with even brand new members getting the same great deal as existing members. But, I think that turnip is about bled dry. My guess is that teams 19-20 (the ones that aren’t FSU and Clemson) may have to take a reduced cut for several years….as this precedent has already been set in the B1G and B12 with their expansions. The rub here is that the B1G is going to want some of them too….so you can’t go too low. This is why I think there might be some backroom collusion between the SEC and Big 10. Big 10 is not going to want a pair of NC schools (unless its UNC / Duke), and they won’t want Va Tech under any circumstances. But the SEC will likely take any of the above except Wake and maybe Duke, as long as they don’t get more than 1 from NC and VA apiece.

……and the can of worms for uneven revenue sharing is thus opened in the SEC for the first time.

8) The new members will agree to the terms, but also request that the revenue sharing model as a whole be renegotiated when their “probationary” period is up. The super-tier teams will gladly accept this, as they finally have their window (and guaranteed votes) to begin an uneven revenue sharing model that forces the have-nots to permanently take a smaller cut. Only question is how much smaller.

9) Have-not schools will end up taking that lower amount….no choice. Then things will get interesting as maybe that number starts to compare to the standard amounts received in the Big 12 and ACC / Pac 12 remnant conference. Some of the have-nots might find they can get the same money and more of a path to football success in those leagues. Maybe a Vandy or someone like that decides to test the waters? Then maybe you see some tough decisions getting made in future years. If one school were to leave and leave an odd number, SEC would have to either add a replacement, or cut another member. Or both (cut 1 to add 2). Its at that point where you might see the risk of an MSU or Ole Miss getting the boot

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M

Mississippi State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Except they need teams to beat reliably in the conference.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Except they need teams to beat reliably in the conference.
You mean like FSU needed all those ACC teams they could “reliably beat” last year?

The days of using W-L record alone to prop up your season are done. They’ve been done for years in every sport on earth except college football….but that’s finally done now, too. There are too many metrics out there for efficiency, strength of schedule, strength of resume, and so forth to be able to get away with piling up wins against a weak schedule.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
If you honestly think that SEC schools don't want some mid/lower level SEC schools in the mix that they can routinely beat, then you are insane.
Exactly. Kick teams out and then the schools a tier above you move down. 10 years later, they’re out. Schools like Auburn, Florida, and Texas A&M want us to stay. We compete/beat them more often than they think, but they want “wins” on their schedules every year.