It was an interesting visit.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The next hire should be what the previous AD declared publicly his hire would be .... but wasn't.
Yeaaaaah, that'll be made much easier due to the fact that we would have just fired the coach that won us a national title.

See Auburn 2012 for exactly how this is going to turn out. If we get lucky, we may get Butch, who has your credentials. But most likely we getting Burroughs or equivalent (which would be great, he's the perfect coach for us).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But there were signs even during that season, particularly how we used the bullpen. We were just really fortunate that everything fell in place for us that year, and you need a fair amount of that during a championship season.
How so? By conserving arms? We know you don't know much about that.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The team that won it all in 2021 was still nowhere close to as talented as the 2019 team that didn’t. The “17 you” starter was our only starter. The “17 you” closer was our only consistently reliable bullpen arm.

That 2019 team had 2 MLB first round picks in the weekend rotation, 2 first round MLB picks in the middle infield, the SEC’s all time hits leader / multi-year first team all-SEC player and 4th round draft pick in one OF spot, future SEC POTY and 3rd round draft pick in another outfield spot, and another multi-year all-SEC guy in the 3rd OF spot. And Elijah McNamee and Dustin Skelton who were really good players offensively.

So how did the less talented team go farther in Year 3 than the more talented team did in Year 1? Did the culture get better? If the culture got worse, how did it happen?
The 2021 team went farther bc it didn’t have to throw Plumlee against Rocker in the most important game. It was able to throw a first rounder against him in the most important game and face him on short rest

The signs that something was bad wrong with pitching were there in 2021 but when you win a natty you assume it’s not a problem.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The team that won it all in 2021 was still nowhere close to as talented as the 2019 team that didn’t. The “17 you” starter was our only starter. The “17 you” closer was our only consistently reliable bullpen arm.

That 2019 team had 2 MLB first round picks in the weekend rotation, 2 first round MLB picks in the middle infield, the SEC’s all time hits leader / multi-year first team all-SEC player and 4th round draft pick in one OF spot, future SEC POTY and 3rd round draft pick in another outfield spot, and another multi-year all-SEC guy in the 3rd OF spot. And Elijah McNamee and Dustin Skelton who were really good players offensively.

So how did the less talented team go farther in Year 3 than the more talented team did in Year 1? Did the culture get better? If the culture got worse, how did it happen?
Postseason baseball is a crapshoot. The best team rarely wins the title. We've had several teams better than the national championship team, but 2021 was the year the breaks went our way for a change.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The 2021 team went farther bc it didn’t have to throw Plumlee against Rocker in the most important game. It was able to throw a first rounder against him in the most important game and face him on short rest

The signs that something was bad wrong with pitching were there in 2021 but when you win a natty you assume it’s not a problem.
Wow, talk about revisionist history and changing the narrative.

Rocker was a freshman, and had JUST gotten hot. His late season development was just a break that went their way. Without him, they lose their Super Regional to Duke and we are the 2019 national champions.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

That’s baseball.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
How so? By conserving arms? We know you don't know much about that.
lebron james basketball GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

What were the signs that something was bad wrong with pitching in 2021?

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Wow, talk about revisionist history and changing the narrative.

Rocker was a freshman, and had JUST gotten hot. His late season development was just a break that went their way. Without him, they lose their Super Regional to Duke and we are the 2019 national champions.
Huh? Exactly. Thats why the 2019 couldn’t advance. They ran into a phenom that had found his stuff by year end. And we had to throw a juco that wasn’t drafted against him. Thats way different than throwing a first rounder against him and he is on short rest. Not sure what I revised.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Huh? Exactly. Thats why the 2019 couldn’t advance. They ran into a phenom that had found his stuff by year end. And we had to throw a juco that wasn’t drafted against him. Thats way different than throwing a first rounder against him and he is on short rest. Not sure what I revised.
Sorry, after reading through the other comments, I thought you were trying to make the same point that Lemonis didn't handle his pitching staff well in 2021 and before.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I don’t know how much it mattered who we threw (and FYI our guy was on short rest, too). We put 9 runs on the board after a lot of the same guys were complete shut down a few years prior. Almost like we had….hitters getting better between 2019 and 2021??!?

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I don’t know how much it mattered who we threw (and FYI our guy was on short rest, too). We put 9 runs on the board after a lot of the same guys were complete shut down a few years prior. Almost like we had….hitters getting better between 2019 and 2021??!?
Rockers fast ball didn’t have the life it did the previous times we faced him

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Postseason baseball is a crapshoot. The best team rarely wins the title. We've had several teams better than the national championship team, but 2021 was the year the breaks went our way for a change.

Crapshoot in the postseason? I can buy that. But what’s not a crapshoot is winning 40+ in the regular season, winning 20+ in the SEC, and being a national seed. 2021 matched the 2019 team there with less overall talent.

So, either the Gary Henderson / Jake Mangum “super culture” not only survived impeccably for 3 years, but actually improved over those 3 years in spite of the best efforts of our entire staff to undermine it, or, just maybe, Lemonis and staff were more locked in and invested then they are now. I don’t know why people’s memories are so short and oblivious after already seeing the same burnout in JWS, Richard Williams, and Polk II. People just think its different because the peak happened sooner under Lemonis than it did under those other coaches.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
What was meant by this? Too much time spent on strength training and not baseball fundamentals?
Pitchers need to throw. They need to be limber. Any weight training needs to include stretching and flexibility training also. Not sure if that happens or not.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Or the pitcher doesn’t peform as well on short rest as ours did That would be the logical answer. A critical error in the first inning helped as well. As did the fact the Vandy lineup was a shell of the 2019 lineup. I can assure you all that probably played a much bigger role. And again we didn’t get to pitch our best against the best team we played in the most important game in 2019. You can say we had two first rounders but neither pitched against Vandy. Bednar threw every critical game against the 2 best teams in the country.

I mean are we really arguing that Lem is some good coach at this point? No good coach fields teams back to back that are this bad this deep into their tenure. None.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm not defending him at all but they went to a Regional 3 of his 4 years there (1st yr, 3rd & 4th) and also the year after he left. It's not like they've been a national power house ever, 1 World Series and a few Big 10 Champs and that's it but doesn't appear they went "backwards" like we have under him
Go look what happened before he was coach. The guy before him was better. That conference is bad anyway. But he finished worse than the previous skipper.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
also missing in all of this is Nc state was probably the best team and hottest team in the tournament outside of us. And vandy got a bye into the finals.

but I agree as I posted in another thread is laughable that Jake magnum is giving any credit for the national title. He was 2 years removed from the team. He had nothing to do with the culture or anything of that nature. Credit to the HC and men in the dugout for getting it done

can for sure ask 1000s of questions as to what’s going on now. But you have to give lemonis and his staff and those players credit the deserve for that season

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I mean are we really arguing that Lem is some good coach at this point? No good coach fields teams back to back that are this bad this deep into their tenure. None.
This was an interesting point, so I went and looked it up. A couple have been pretty bad (Van Horn went 26-29), but I haven't found one back to back yet. And certainly not after a national title, i.e. you're 'established'. Jon Savage at UCLA is the only one who comes close, they went 25-30-1 after they beat us in 2013, then rose up to a national seed the following year, fell off and went 25-31 the next, went 30-27 the next year then finally got back semi-permanently. But they haven't become elite again yet.

ETA: Guess you could add Ron Polk. He didn't technically do it, but had he stayed in 2009, he knew his *** was headed for it. Augie Garrido same boat, but these guys were old.

ETAA: Andy Lopez at Arizona dropped a little bit, but didn't technically have the 2nd losing season. Then Jay Johnson nearly won it all with his players in 2016 after he retired. Another is Mike Batesole at Fresno State, he left last year after 2 in a row. But again, at the end of the career.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Or the pitcher doesn’t peform as well on short rest as ours did That would be the logical answer. A critical error in the first inning helped as well. As did the fact the Vandy lineup was a shell of the 2019 lineup. I can assure you all that probably played a much bigger role.

I mean are we really arguing that Lem is some good coach at this point? No good coach fields teams back to back that are this bad. None.

We played a 3 game series against Vandy. We started a mid-round pick with major control / health issues against the #2 overall MLB pick. We started Houston Harding against a projected Top 150 draft pick this year. We started Bednar against Rocker. In all 3 games, we had the less talented starter on the mound with no rest advantage. We took 2 of 3 because our team with less talent thoroughly outplayed their team with more talent for about 25 innings straight. You’re oversimplifiying it to “we only won a natty because Rocker was off” is an insult to everyone in the dugout, players and coaches alike.

Back to whether Lemonis is a good coach….it’s not some binary answer that you and others are making it out to be. For 7 years straight as a HC, his teams performed well above the average for the schools that he coached, and of course the past 2 years he’s been well below the average. He’s a human being with human tendencies just like all of us. Burn-out and complacency are real things in all professions. Both are more common after historic achievements or runs of success than other times. But most people don’t have 10,000 message board and Twitter personalities opining when they start to not meet expectations. Its of course way easier to make sweeping generalizations….”this guy always sucked”…..”how could anybody be good if they suck this bad for 2 years”. Sherrill was a good coach for many years until he hit his wall. Same with RW.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Go look what happened before he was coach. The guy before him was better. That conference is bad anyway. But he finished worse than the previous skipper.

The guy before him went to 3 regionals in 9 years. Yet another swing and a miss.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We played a 3 game series against Vandy. We started a mid-round pick with major control / health issues against the #2 overall MLB pick. We started Houston Harding against a projected Top 150 draft pick this year. We started Bednar against Rocker. In all 3 games, we had the less talented starter on the mound with no rest advantage. We took 2 of 3 because our team with less talent thoroughly outplayed their team with more talent for about 25 innings straight. You oversimplifiying it to “we only won a natty because Rocker was off” is an insult to everyone in the dugout, players and coaches alike.

Back to whether Lemonis is a good coach….it’s not some binary answer that you and others are making it out to be. For 7 years straight as a HC, his teams performed well above the average for the schools that he coached, and of course the past 2 years he’s been well below the average. He’s a human being with human tendencies just like all of us. Burn-out and complacency are real things in all professions. Both are more common after historic achievements or runs of success than other times. But most people don’t have 10,000 message board and Twitter personalities opining when they start to not meet expectations. Its of course way easier to make sweeping generalizations….”this guy always sucked”…..”how could anybody be good if they suck this bad for 2 years”. Sherrill was a good coach for many years until he hit his wall. Same with RW.
I didn’t say we only won a natty bc Rocker was off. I was showing you one of the many differences between the 19 team and the 21 team after they won their first game in Omaha bc for some reason you think that micro analysis has anything to do with Lems ability to coach. Seriously go try to convince someone to hire him based on that argument after they can’t understand why he has fielded two of the worst back to back teams in sec history.

And to be fair he probably did the same thing at Indiana he did here- built off the momentum Tracy Smith started. It sucks for me bc I thought it was a good hire and I hate seeing us lose more than anything. But I was wrong (surprised that text is even recognized on this board ). And he isnt a good coach. Again no good coach does this. It takes a lot to be this bad anywhere much less State. But he has done it.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Again no good coach does this. It takes a lot to be this bad anywhere much less State. But he has done it.

So if a coach went 48-62 overall, 15-44 SEC at MSU in back to back years….also with most losses being complete asswhippings, would that guy also not be a good coach?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
So if a coach went 48-62 overall, 15-44 SEC at MSU in back to back years, would that guy also not be a good coach?
This deep into his tenure (like I posted)? Not a good coach.

I know that’s Cohen. And he took over a trainwreck (much like Lems successor will). We didn’t have one single sec pitcher on the roster. We had to throw Tyler Whitney 120+
every Friday. Wouldnt shock me if our next coach has two years like this. Its gonna be a total rebuild that the portal won’t even be able to save.

But if a guy is in year 4/5 putting up those numbers than no he is not a
Good coach. And ours is coming off a natty. How is that possible?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Go look what happened before him. The guy before him was better. That conference is bad anyway. But he finished worse than the previous skipper.
"The guy before him" won 54% of his games, Lemonis won 61% of his games there.

"The guy before him" went to 3 Regionals in 9 years, Lemonis went to 3 in 4 years (and they went again the year after Lemonis left and finished 1st in the Conference)

The only thing "the guy before him" has while at Indiana is in one of those Regional years, they went to the CWS, which Lemonis also did in his 1st and 3rd year here. That guy (Tracy Smith) also finished 10th in the conference TWICE, 7th once, and 6th once.

I am certainly not defending Lemonis and I won't defend him after what I've watched the last 1+ season here but to say that that program at Indiana regressed under Lemonis isn't true.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This deep into his tenure (like I posted)? Not a good coach.

I know that’s Cohen. And he took over a trainwreck (much like Lems successor will). We didn’t have one single sec pitcher on the roster. We had to throw Tyler Whitney 120+
every Friday. Wouldnt shock me if our next coach has two years like this. Its gonna be a total rebuild that the portal won’t even be able to save.

But if a guy is in year 4/5 putting up those numbers than no he is not a
Good coach. And ours is coming off a natty. How is that possible?

Cool cool. So, he took over a trainwreck. Totally agree. So, was the sole creator of that trainwreck, his predecessor, not a good coach?

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Cool cool. So, he took over a trainwreck. Totally agree. So, was the sole creator of that trainwreck, his predecessor, not a good coach?
Average Record
1. 35-25 (12-17)
2. 40-23 (16-14)

1 is polks last 5 years
2 is Cohens last 5 years

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Polk 2 was a pretty bad coach. He wasnt even trying to run a college program in the modern era.

BearcatBully

Mar 3, 2008
What were the signs that something was bad wrong with pitching in 2021?
Late season, outside of Bednar, Hootie, and PJ, we had no starter. ZERO. Macleod, Stinnet, Fristoe were absolute head cases who fell apart late and simply couldn't throw a strike under any circumstance. That has to be remembered. If not for Sims and the other three already mentioned, our pitching was already going bad. If not for Bednar turning in the single greatest athletic performance during the whole CWS run, we could not have advanced with the remaining pitching. Flash forward to 2022, even with the pitching change of Sims to starter, our pitching was still very, very poor before the injuries and wheels fell off. (Sims was 0-2 I believe.)

Reactions: MSUDOG24

patdog

May 28, 2007
Polk 2 was a pretty bad coach. He wasnt even trying to run a college program in the modern era.
As mediocre as Polk II was, other than 2008, it was light years ahead of where we are now. 5 regionals and 1 CWS in 7 years (missed his first and last years). Cohen took over a program that was down for sure, but there was really no excuse for back-to-back last place finishes in his first 2 years.

BearcatBully

Mar 3, 2008
also missing in all of this is Nc state was probably the best team and hottest team in the tournament outside of us. And vandy got a bye into the finals.

but I agree as I posted in another thread is laughable that Jake magnum is giving any credit for the national title. He was 2 years removed from the team. He had nothing to do with the culture or anything of that nature. Credit to the HC and men in the dugout for getting it done

can for sure ask 1000s of questions as to what’s going on now. But you have to give lemonis and his staff and those players credit the deserve for that season

Jake might have been 2 years gone but many of the players that played with him were still there. There is no way you can say TA and Rowdy didn't inherit some of the will to win that the 18-19 teams had. Now we are also talking about TA who probably goes down in my book as the MSU baseball goat over Mangum so the point is moot but I guarantee you TA would credit Jake, Foscue, Westburg, MacNamee as influencing his playing attitude. Sure, the players on the 21 team won it, but they had a pedigree.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Then why stop at mangum. Go find players before mangum and give them credit for building it all passing it to mangum.

as I’ve said. Mangum gets way too much credit for things he doesn’t deserve on these boards. He deserves zero credit for the national championship, or as much credit as Brent rooker does. However you judge it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
As mediocre as Polk II was, other than 2008, it was light years ahead of where we are now. 5 regionals and 1 CWS in 7 years (missed his first and last years). Cohen took over a program that was down for sure, but there was really no excuse for back-to-back last place finishes in his first 2 years.
I dont care that much bc I dont think Cohen is necessarily the greatest coach ever. But I dont think people realize how bad the pitching situation was with those teams. Polk had just flat quit.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I dont care that much bc I dont think Cohen is necessarily the greatest coach ever. But I dont think people realize how bad the pitching situation was with those teams. Polk had just flat quit.
We just thought the pitching was bad back then. ** Seriously, I don't really disagree with you. I almost threw up in my mouth a little defending Polk.

Reactions: 8dog

BearcatBully

Mar 3, 2008
Then why stop at mangum. Go find players before mangum and give them credit for building it all passing it to mangum.

as I’ve said. Mangum gets way too much credit for things he doesn’t deserve on these boards. He deserves zero credit for the national championship, or as much credit as Brent rooker does. However you judge it.
Absolutely Rooker deserves credit also. 1 of only 2 SEC triple crown winners gets you that. Jake probably drew from him in turn. I do think a winning attitude grows from year to year and players learn and grow form being exposed to fellow players. I'm not saying Jake was THE reason for the ship but his place in MSU history did play a part in it, just as Coach Polk did just by his coaching legacy. Sad thing is that for 2 years now, we have had zero leadership on this team and they are absolutely playing like it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login