It's Coming: Pardons for all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

inbeforethelockku

I'm fine with this, but it will really only be decriminalization that moves the needle. A pardon is a point in time relief for those already convicted and may help some get on track, if the stigma or reality have been dragging them down. However, there's nothing stopping the next round of offenders from being locked up, thus perpetuating the cycle.

Reactions: cytubb

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I have no issue with this, including no issue with the naked political pandering.
I have never understood the anger when someone in Washington passes a bill, law, etc. in an attempt to get votes. Isn’t that the way it is supposed to work? Shouldn’t the things they do make people want to vote for them? It’s kind of the whole point of elections.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
I'm fine with this, but it will really only be decriminalization that moves the needle. A pardon is a point in time relief for those already convicted and may help some get on track, if the stigma or reality have been dragging them down. However, there's nothing stopping the next round of offenders from being locked up, thus perpetuating the cycle.
I think this is step one to working toward that. Notice too that he instructed his admin to examine the schedule status. Changing that is the next step toward decriminalizing.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its always been difficult for me to want to see people jailed for possession. I dont use it, but definitely struggle to see some significant difference between going home after work to smoke a joint or eat an edible and going home to drink a bottle of wine on a Friday.

Driving while high?- sure there should be consequences. Underage use?- sure there should be consequences.
Having some weed in your pocket even though you are stone cold sober?- nope, thats a dumb arrest.

Decriminalization is whats ultimately needed. Well really whats first needed is that Marijuana is no longer a Schedule 1 drug. That is absolutely terrible and those who set it that way decades ago should be ashamed. Not being able to really study the effects is insane.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
this is long overdue. I am all for punishing crime. This will free up prison space to punish people who actually should be punished. Putting someone in jail for pot and then destroying their life by making them a felon has always been a mistake. Credit where credit is due. This is a good move.
This isn't going to free up prison space. People generally aren't in prison for simple possession. There may be a few inmates who pled down from more serious charges, but this is really about letting people not in prison avoid the stigma of a federal conviction.

This is fine, but it'd be way more appropriate for Congress to actually decriminalize marijuana. Ridiculous to have members of the legislative branch complaining about marijuana being illegal but not actually doing any work to get a bill drafted and moved through Congress. It's not even political cowardice at this point, it's just extreme laziness.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have never understood the anger when someone in Washington passes a bill, law, etc. in an attempt to get votes. Isn’t that the way it is supposed to work? Shouldn’t the things they do make people want to vote for them? It’s kind of the whole point of elections.
Not exactly. There are two types of complaints people generally make on the pandering (ignoring the crackpots). First is passing a law to take from some people and give to others. All though it's definitely a weaker norm now, there is still a sense that laws should be just and fair in addition to moving through the appropriate political process. That's not at issue here.

The second is when people pander by working outside of constitutional limits. This isn't really outside of constitutional limits, but it is still sort of a violation of norms because it is essentially nullifying law without due process. Sort of similar to the wholesale versus retail prosecutorial discretion argument. I say sort of a norm violation because I think the political will to decriminalize at least possession is probably there on the federal level, it's just a crazy level of laziness and dysfunction that legislators would rather complain about the law than actually do the relatively light lift that would be required to change the law.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I hate Team Biden but I'm no dedicated blind lover of the reupblican party and only vote repub cuz I see them as the lesser of the 2 evils. But this is a move in the right direction. Lots of folks in county jails right now because they were out on bond but a UA found weed and can't get bailed out which is utter BS. The War on Drugs has been just as destructive and futile as the War on Poverty. I've been to Amsterdam and I'll take it over Chicago everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. If someone wants to destroy their life using narcotics, then have at it but don't ask me to write a check to The Treasury about it. FK the cartells in the process too.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
This isn't going to free up prison space. People generally aren't in prison for simple possession. There may be a few inmates who pled down from more serious charges, but this is really about letting people not in prison avoid the stigma of a federal conviction.

This is fine, but it'd be way more appropriate for Congress to actually decriminalize marijuana. Ridiculous to have members of the legislative branch complaining about marijuana being illegal but not actually doing any work to get a bill drafted and moved through Congress. It's not even political cowardice at this point, it's just extreme laziness.
I'd like to think there's a certain amount of ineptness at play as well.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I have no issue with this, including no issue with the naked political pandering.
There are a few Republican Women Politicians that I would like to see pander politically while naked. I'd contribute.

Attachments

• Lauren Boebert.jpg
    Lauren Boebert.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Marjorie Taylor Greene.jpg
    Marjorie Taylor Greene.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: GloryDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was curious but couldn't find a straight answer. How many people are in Federal prison for simple possession ?
NBC says:
A senior administration official said that over 6,500 U.S. citizens from 1992 — 2021 were convicted of simple possession of marijuana under federal law, and thousands more were convicted under a Washington, D.C. code. There are currently no individuals in federal prison solely for simple possession of marijuana and most marijuana possession convictions occur at the state level, the official said.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
If you truly wanted mariujuana decriminalized, then tell your sitting representatives that they either vote for it or you will be voting for a candidate that will.

It's that simple. You do not have to vote democrat, just a republican that pledges to vote for decriminalization. It is past time for that.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
She looks like a younger, female Lee Corso and no one can convince me otherwise.

A definite Corso resemblence but I'd still like to see her nekkid. Just cuz. I mean it would still be bettern Margaret Thatcher on a Cold Day.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If you truly wanted mariujuana decriminalized, then tell your sitting representatives that they either vote for it or you will be voting for a candidate that will.

It's that simple. You do not have to vote democrat, just a republican that pledges to vote for decriminalization. It is past time for that.
It's really not that simple. There are more important things going on than weed.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It needed to be done a long time ago. But if Biden had any integrity whatsoever, it would've been done a year ago and not a month before some gloomy-looking midterms. This is pretty shameless pandering from a timing perspective.
Agreed that it's definitely pandering. The Dank Brandon tweets I've seen are good but this one is as well and also goes into timing...:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Agreed that it's definitely pandering. The Dank Brandon tweets I've seen are good but this one is as well and also goes into timing...:

Bingo. Gas is going to start rising again. Economy is in a recession. More bad news coming on that. WaPo says feds have enough evidence to charge Hunter Biden. Polls are **** for democrats in most of the country. So, let's issue pardons that's mostly symbolic and doesn't really move the needle on anything, but hey, all the newscasts will cover it breathlessly and just maybe, Biden can lock down the stoner vote and blunt (no pun intended; okay, may a little intended) these freefalling poll numbers.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The answer for people in federal prison for only simple possession is exactly *zero*.
Then I withdraw my previous statement regarding freeing up prison space. The moral of the story, as always, is don’t voice opinions on topics that you know jack shiite about

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

LMAO; "I mean c'moan man, smoke some weed, smell kid's hair and shower with your daughter; You know the thing man!! Wanna see how white my leg hair gets in the summer?"

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Bingo. Gas is going to start rising again. Economy is in a recession. More bad news coming on that. WaPo says feds have enough evidence to charge Hunter Biden. Polls are **** for democrats in most of the country. So, let's issue pardons that's mostly symbolic and doesn't really move the needle on anything, but hey, all the newscasts will cover it breathlessly and just maybe, Biden can lock down the stoner vote and blunt (no pun intended; okay, may a little intended) these freefalling poll numbers.
LOL

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login