It's just a club sport.....

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
1000002122.jpg
Edited to say before somebody like RockyDog comes along and says there weren't that many people there.... no there weren't but that is paid attendance. Fans cared enough to sell out chair backs 10 years in advance plus all the standing room only fans that pay $15 to stand for 3 hrs.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Typical State fan beats chest over attendance while team was mediocre. I'm old enough to remember when we won a natty
Point being show us a club sport that averages almost 11,000 PAID? Look back at my baseball posts, I've been one of Lemon's biggest critics and still am, I thought he should have been gone last year. And I'm old enough to have sat behind home plate when there was a tin cover over those bleachers, chicken wire stopping foul balls, shingle roof on the dugouts and pulled into LF in my truck and backed up to the fence most games with space left on both sides of me

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
View attachment 590363
Edited to say before somebody like RockyDog comes along and says there weren't that many people there.... no there weren't but that is paid attendance. Fans cared enough to sell out chair backs 10 years in advance plus all the standing room only fans that pay $15 to stand for 3 hrs.
Congratulations on your club sport attendance national championship!

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
With attendance like that, those OF spots should sell at any price. Time to see who is really committed to attending baseball games. Also, those that earmark their NIL for baseball might want to up that game as well, it's not going great in the portal so far. Need those players to win a real championship.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Does anyone have actual financial statements with baseball numbers? I’ve heard we lose money, but I’d be happy to publicly analyze them. Or are the losses just based on articles from people who have information that isn’t generally public?

Reactions: mcdawg22

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Does anyone have actual financial statements with baseball numbers? I’ve heard we lose money, but I’d be happy to publicly analyze them. Or are the losses just based on articles from people who have information that isn’t generally public?
Honestly, this post is kind of sad

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So you’re pumping your chest because the football program generated enough revenue to build a shiny new baseball stadium?
Mullen left 2 years B4 The Dude opened and football has gone down in quality and attendance since. We're definitely fortunate to be a member of the SEC and be gifted money from tv revenue of all of the conference teams games in all sports, all the bowls, pay season hoops, conference championship games, National champs. won by other members etc to the tune of what $40+ million per year? MSU football itself though, not so much

Reactions: 85Bears

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Mullen left 2 years B4 The Dude opened and football has gone down in quality and attendance since. We're definitely fortunate to be a member of the SEC and be gifted money from tv revenue of all of the conference teams games in all sports, all the bowls, pay season hoops, conference championship games, National champs. won by other members etc to the tune of what $40+ million per year? MSU football itself though, not so much
Our fanbase has a very tough time grappling with the fact college baseball doesn’t matter at all

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
and apparently basketball matters less to our fans since baseball outdrew basketball even with a newly remodeled Hump, baseball average was 2,500 more per game. Another "Club Sport" evidently
I’m not sure why you’re using attendance in a particular sport at a particular school to make this argument.

it’s well documented that there are a handful of schools in the SEC, Mississippi State included, who support and show up for college baseball games. But unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that college baseball will now magically begin to produce revenue enough to generate a profit or become more popular nation-wide. It’s a niche sport. That’s great if you support it, but it doesn’t matter enough to affect Mississippi State’s athletic budget, the university, or the city of Starkville. I’m glad you like it though, I hope we win every game. I’m sure MSU baseball matters a lot to Mike in Kosciusko.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not sure why you’re using attendance in a particular sport at a particular school to make this argument.

it’s well documented that there are a handful of schools in the SEC, Mississippi State included, who support and show up for college baseball games. But unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that college baseball will now magically begin to produce revenue enough to generate a profit or become more popular nation-wide. It’s a niche sport. That’s great if you support it, but it doesn’t matter enough to affect Mississippi State’s athletic budget, the university, or the city of Starkville. I’m glad you like it though, I hope we win every game. I’m sure MSU baseball matters a lot to Mike in Kosciusko.
Why you hating on Kosciusko, arsehole? KO rocks

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
and apparently basketball matters less to our fans since baseball outdrew basketball even with a newly remodeled Hump, baseball average was 2,500 more per game. Another "Club Sport" evidently
I’ll accept the arguments that basketball and football are essential sports.

However, baseball is what football isn’t and basketball only very occasionally achieves: It is a beloved part of the university culture.

And if you love MSU football and dislike MSU baseball, my immediate thought is So how long have you been a masochist?

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Typical State fan beats chest over attendance while team was mediocre. I'm old enough to remember when we won a natty
Maintaining support through downswings makes it easier to have an upswing.

or are you saying our program would be better off with less support? Or maybe it’s one layer deeper and you don’t care about the betterment of our program?

Reactions: Dawgg

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

or are you saying our program would be better off with less support? Or maybe it’s one layer deeper and you don’t care about the betterment of our program?
I say our attendance doesn't pay the bills or get us top signing classes and it's a pointless brag. We basically just have to have greater attendance than the other teams in the conference because most of the country doesn't care about college baseball. Especially considering the grandstand seats are an inherited spot and the LFL is ridiculously cheap for what it is while also being similar. It's time baseball fans start really supporting things. They get the equivalent of 1989 football season ticket prices for their seats. They seem to only want to support baseball and that's never going to work in today's college athletics. I also believe every sport should get support but football pays the bills.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Funny how that doesn't happen with other sports but some think it should in baseball. The baseball over everything crowd is one of the greatest MSU problems there is. I like baseball a lot, but it's still just a secondary sport in the grand scheme.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Your v a g is getting sandy and I seriously doubt you attend any damn sporting events at State. You're dead weight as a fan if I'm guessing, simply based on your total lack of understanding of anything sports related.
Surely you have no idea who you are talking to… goat outed himself as one of the cigar boys a couple weeks ago.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I say our attendance doesn't pay the bills or get us top signing classes and it's a pointless brag. We basically just have to have greater attendance than the other teams in the conference because most of the country doesn't care about college baseball. Especially considering the grandstand seats are an inherited spot and the LFL is ridiculously cheap for what it is while also being similar. It's time baseball fans start really supporting things. They get the equivalent of 1989 football season ticket prices for their seats. They seem to only want to support baseball and that's never going to work in today's college athletics. I also believe every sport should get support but football pays the bills.
Well it may not be a pointless brag. Do you think not bragging about it would be better off paying the bills, getting us better signing classes? I’m sure we’re not paying the marketing intern much. I agree that baseball fans should start supporting things, but is that going to happen without a little shameless marketing?

I know you said that football pays the bill but maybe an innocent marketing plug for baseball is an attempt to have baseball support itself which negates the argument that you kind of teed up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1697564126

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Funny how that doesn't happen with other sports but some think it should in baseball. The baseball over everything crowd is one of the greatest MSU problems there is. I like baseball a lot, but it's still just a secondary sport in the grand scheme.
I get the differing opinions on what sport we should support. We can’t monetize fandom to the dollar, and maybe if we did we could pull together a panel of allstar sixpackers to argue about that, but if a sport has generally good fan support metrics we shouldn’t trash those metrics.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I asked this a couple weeks ago and someone posted a clarion ledger article where the writer said that MSU baseball lost $2.3 million in 2022. No other information was given except that. So, you have no way of knowing if that is a net loss that includes depreciation or any other non-cash losses. I suspect that loss includes depreciation.

I can say with 100% certainty that MSU baseball produced a profit prior to the stadium being built. I was with a group that put together a bid for financing the stadium expansion and saw baseball only statements, they were profitable then. Not a massive profit but they were self sustaining. I can’t imagine that has changed.

Definitely would need an accountant to verify this…. But seems like I remember there being odd rules around the way revenue is recognized for multi year commitments, such as donations pledged to be able to have club seats or chairbacks. I’m not sure that money coming in for past pledge amounts is “revenue” for the year it’s received. My point is, I’m not sure an income statement is the best way to evaluate if baseball is profitable. I think you’re gonna need a cash flow statement as well. I’m sure we have an accountant on here, so please correct this if I’m way off (which I probably am).

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I get the differing opinions on what sport we should support. We can’t monetize fandom to the dollar, and maybe if we did we could pull together a panel of allstar sixpackers to argue about that, but if a sport has generally good fan support metrics we shouldn’t trash those metrics.
We aren't celebrating a sport though. We're celebrating the attendance of a sport. There's a difference. I don't give a squat about who goes to baseball games, it's the celebrating it when we can't get fans to show up to anything else much. Hopefully we're about to up the cost of attendance since people are so proud of their attendance.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Serious question….are you bipolar?
lol I’ve often wondered the same about you… would you like me to link the post where you made the assertion that you were well connected? If I recall correctly, you made a statement that Dakota Jordan was paid enough to be criticized. I asked how much that was. You then preceded to try and act like it was public knowledge and only and idiot wouldn’t know… although you would never tell us how much Jordan was paid.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Well it may not be a pointless brag. Do you think not bragging about it would be better off paying the bills, getting us better signing classes? I’m sure we’re not paying the marketing intern much. I agree that baseball fans should start supporting things, but is that going to happen without a little shameless marketing?

I know you said that football pays the bill but maybe an innocent marketing plug for baseball is an attempt to have baseball support itself which negates the argument that you kind of teed up there.
I think when we aren't very good at baseball, we beat our chest about attendance. Do you think that's going to increase attendance? I do not. I think the same people go regardless. Does it make our recruiting better? It doesn't based on our results. Neither does the best stadium in college baseball really (And it's amazing!) and a nice indoor facility that few have. We can keep trying to sell those things but it's not proving to be a difference maker for baseball. Times have changed significantly since the portal and NIL started. The best way to support baseball is by supporting football. That's where the money is, but our large number of baseball is king fans won't show up. We're now 18th in the country in baseball budget and supposedly somewhere a little higher in baseball NIL. When NIL becomes part of the budget soon, folks better flood to football or things will get worse.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login