It's Official

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ll say again that our offense lost that game for us, but the 340 or so yards on the ground that we gave up to Leavett and Skattebo was one of the most embarrassing defensive efforts I’ve seen in my lifetime.

For those of us that can recall this event, Skatterbo even outran cotton bowl Ricky Williams

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I wish a reporter had the intestinal fortitude to ask Lebby today "Our fans are concerned after seeing Texas State was able to hold Arizona State's Skattebo to 62 yards and a 2.6 average per carry last night after he ran for 262 yards and an 8 yard average on us. What was Texas State doing to stop him that we could not?" And follow up with "What, if anything, did we learn from our defensive performance that will help us to not have a repeat performance like this the remainder of the season against what will be much more difficult opponents?"

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Scary stats for us right there. We are very likely a horrendous defensive team. Not just bad.
There’s no question. Every single conference opponent is going to run the ball like that on us. Every one of them will have a size advantage not to mention talent and coaching experience versus State’s defense. This season is probably going to turn out worse than last year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wish a reporter had the intestinal fortitude to ask Lebby today "Our fans are concerned after seeing Texas State was able to hold Arizona State's Skattebo to 62 yards and a 2.6 average per carry last night after he ran for 262 yards and an 8 yard average on us. What was Texas State doing to stop him that we could not?" And follow up with "What, if anything, did we learn from our defensive performance that will help us to not have a repeat performance like this the remainder of the season against what will be much more difficult opponents?"
I wish an athletic director had that intestinal fortitude.

Reactions: 85Bears

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I’ll say again that our offense lost that game for us, but the 340 or so yards on the ground that we gave up to Leavett and Skattebo was one of the most embarrassing defensive efforts I’ve seen in my lifetime.

For those of us that can recall this event, Skatterbo even outran cotton bowl Ricky Williams
You must have missed the Cotton Bowl game. Ricky Williams, I think just scored again.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
As bad as the defense was a fumble and miss extra point cost us the game.
Agree. Our defense did only give up 23 points, the other seven was given up by Shapen’s fumble returned for a TD. I would expect our offense to be able to score more than 23 points. And while Skattebo only had 62 yards rushing, Leavitt had 246 passing yards when he only had 69 passing yards against us. So it looks like Texas State geared up to stop the run and were beaten with the pass. Opposite of what we did.

Reactions: Wytalehntr

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Agree. Our defense did only give up 23 points, the other seven was given up by Shapen’s fumble returned for a TD. I would expect our offense to be able to score more than 23 points. And while Skattebo only had 62 yards rushing, Leavitt had 246 passing yards when he only had 69 passing yards against us. So it looks like Texas State geared up to stop the run and were beaten with the pass. Opposite of what we did.
1, I hope Our Defensive Coaching Staff does a better job game planning.
2. I hope Florida and A&M physically beats the hell out of each other.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
1, I hope Our Defensive Coaching Staff does a better job game planning.
2. I hope Florida and A&M physically beats the hell out of each other.
Unfortunately, coaching doesn't matter too much in our situation. We need more quality talent in all areas of the defense. Our amount of quality personnel is the lowest I can ever remember at MSU.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Unfortunately, coaching doesn't matter too much in our situation. We need more quality talent in all areas of the defense. Our amount of quality personnel is the lowest I can ever remember at MSU.
I don't think it is as bad as we think. It's not good. In the ASU game once the coaching staff got them right formations on defense, they looked way better. Only allowed three in the second half and ASU was still going full steam to win. That's bad game planning and bad in game adjustment. No way it should have taken him an entire half to figure out we needed more than five guys in the box. They do miss a lot of tackle. Many would have been for no gain or a loss. They definitely need to improve a whole bunch. They also should have their asses in the weight room for two hours six days a week after practice. Our D line looks weak.

I also think as a whole the coaching staff did not have them ready to play the game.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

patdog

May 28, 2007
The

to what? Fire Lebby?
Of course not. I don't think we could this year even if we wanted to (we don't). But he needs to be reminded that he has to hold his DC accountable. Not too worried about the offense long-term. What I see is simply a lack of talent on the OL and at RB. That can be corrected. What I see on defense is more than a lack of talent. It's poor coaching.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Of course not. I don't think we could this year even if we wanted to (we don't). But he needs to be reminded that he has to hold his DC accountable. Not too worried about the offense long-term. What I see is simply a lack of talent on the OL and at RB. That can be corrected. What I see on defense is more than a lack of talent. It's poor coaching.
What I see on defense is pure lack of talent. I don't think there is a scheme that will help that front much.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
The hurry up offense requires at least a first down or two, which is not the mstate way. We should go slow and burn clock bc our defense sucks donkey

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
Game film....... Tex St. packed the box....the one adjustment State's DC didnt make until the 4th quarter when it was 30-3.
Poor game plan, the inexperience or stubbornness to change, with some talent gap was/is the issue.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Hutzler has been here for two games and we already think Lebby isn’t going to hold him to the fire? I mean heck it could happen I guess but far too early to assume it already is. Surely Lebby is not dumb enough to let his career be ruined by a bad DC. Fully believe a change will be made if necessary.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What I see on defense is pure lack of talent. I don't think there is a scheme that will help that front much.
It's both for sure. But even with the lack of talent, a good scheme might have given us a chance to beat a very mediocre Arizona St. team last Saturday.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
DL U is pretty soft for sure. I might put on the pads and tip toe through there for an easy 150 after I get back from the concession stand.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I'm glad you brought that up. I'd listen more intently to coach and player interviews if they would ask a question somebody wanted to know. It's like listening to a therapist ask "how did you feel when". . . . or "what did you learn about yourself in that moment" or "coach what do think about so and so's leadership". . . "what's your relationship like with ___". Frustrating. How about we got our but kicked on the d line tonight coach. What caused that and can this team fix it?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Sad Arrested Development GIF

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I'm glad you brought that up. I'd listen more intently to coach and player interviews if they would ask a question somebody wanted to know. It's like listening to a therapist ask "how did you feel when". . . . or "what did you learn about yourself in that moment" or "coach what do think about so and so's leadership". . . "what's your relationship like with ___". Frustrating. How about we got our but kicked on the d line tonight coach. What caused that and can this team fix it?
And what I'd expect to hear is the obvious "We did better in the second half when we put more in the box like TX St. did." and I what I'd hope to hear is "I expect our coaching staff to make faster in-game adjustments."

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Apparently our offense does too. Nobody ever promised a good D but we have been promised a high powered offense. Signed a lot of impact players over there. I'm really concerned about Toledo. I hope it comes together but 3 and 9 looks probable
To be fair, we did have two explosives in the passing game wiped out. One by an inexcusable drop and the other by a phantom OPI.

That said, there’s no excuse for what Shapen did on that fumble…

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I remember Bobby Humphrey running for all of his 1400 yards on us in 1986

It was only 284 but still made an impression on me
I was at that game too. It was a helpless feeling. .....with 20k Bama fans in the stands.

Reactions: ChE1997

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
To be fair, I'm sure Texas St. watched our film and put a better game plan together.
This was also a comedown game for ASU. They were riding high and didn't play their best. It doesn't change the fact that we should have won that game last week, just saying we got their best and we played (and coached) like absolute dogshitt. We aren't talented enough to win games like that, obviously.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We hired a coach with no experience, he essentially has to learn on the job.

We knew we had big problems on both sides of the line.

We were surprised because we looked terrible at West Coast game time in our first game away from home.

93elbq.jpg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login