DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Too risky to be "Last Chance U" for this university administration

Last edited:

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Greg Marshall. Former Wichita State coach who has to resign in 2020 due to abusive behavior towards his players and assistant coaches

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Sounds like just what we need, but can you imagine being abused by a guy that looks like him?

Sep 15, 2009
You not only matched the first bad idea, you decided to raise it.
Let me ask you this question. What if MSU wanted to hire Bruce Pearl before Auburn got him. What would be your opinion on that? We all need to decide if we are serious about winning. If we are we have to "play the game" I'm all in and don't give a 17 about optics.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Can he demonstrate that he had psychological issues that are now under control? If so, I could get behind hiring him under a zero tolerance policy.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Let me ask you this question. What if MSU wanted to hire Bruce Pearl before Auburn got him. What would be your opinion on that? We all need to decide if we are serious about winning. If we are we have to "play the game" I'm all in and don't give a 17 about optics.

Our Compliance department would have clipped his nuts.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I'm not opposed to hiring Miller because of this, but just to be clear, Bruce Pearl invited a recruit to a BBQ and then lied about it. Miller was caught paying players by the FBI. They are not the same.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I would have been fine with Pearl. He is a showman, or rather he certainly was when he was at Tennessee, but I wouldnt have been disappointed if he had been hired at MSU.
Do you realize what Pearl did? He got a show cause for lying about a recruit being at a 17ing cookout. It was a dumb lie because pictures showed the kid was there, but that isnt something thats nearly on the level of Miller and AZ.

This is like when Kelvin Sampson had a show cause and message boards as well as commentators were taking him down a couple rungs. The action that he did was made legal a few years later. The NCAA actually thinks what he did is perfectly OK in present day.

You have to consider the circumstances for each situation.

Yeah I would take Pearl with his dumb lie over Miller's wrongdoing.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
We’d never be able to recruit. I didn’t realize everything that he said to his guys before getting fired. It would be a disaster.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
hahaha You think that's all Bruce Pearl did...That's cute. He's one of the shadiest in the biz.

According to Drebin, we arent supposed to assume or think any thoughts about that which we dont have full detailed knowledge.

In all seriousness though, I dont know what Pearl did at UT beyond what he was fired and banned for doing. If there is more that is proven, lemme know.
Now I would have a different answer if I were asked about taking Pearl today. Based on that, I would include the Auburn FBI scandal that nailed Person. And including that would change my mind about Pearl as I think Pearl had to have known about what his assistant was doing in some manner.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You answered your own question.
Yeah, unfortunately I had never looked into his age. Just don't think it will work with him.

But the CONCEPT is a good one.....maybe Kenny Payne really is the guy? No matter what I really do think we need to start some serious focus on Jackson basketball. I don't know what kind of AAU or whatever they have going around there, but if run correctly, seems that could produce a lot of prospects.

We just have to do things differently. We aren't Kentucky or North Carolina, we can't recruit nationally, not well anyway. We tried that with Howland with the Adidas stuff, and here we are. We are better, but just not there yet.

And of course the portal is always going to be of use for us.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I'm not opposed to hiring Miller because of this, but just to be clear, Bruce Pearl invited a recruit to a BBQ and then lied about it. Miller was caught paying players by the FBI. They are not the same.

Pearl was given a show cause. Miller wasn't. Clearly there's more to the Pearl story.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Did you have a problem when Mullen was here winning games?
Mullen was neither a sociopath or psychopath. Dude was just introverted and very dry. People who understand that quickly label folks like with any number of things, like you did.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Pearl was given a show cause. Miller wasn't. Clearly there's more to the Pearl story.

Miller was paying $10k/month for Ayton. Is there clearly more to the Pearl story or did Miller get off with a slap? Both would explain the significantly different penalties.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Miller was paying $10k/month for Ayton. Is there clearly more to the Pearl story or did Miller get off with a slap? Both would explain the significantly different penalties.

"Lying a about a barbecue" isn't near enough to get a show cause. It's not just Miller who was punished much less for doing much worse than that.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
“Hey there, son. Let me tell you about my friend Jesus. He’ll be your best buddy or your worst enemy. Jesus. The Son of God? No, no. Hey-Seuss. He’ll bring you a bag of cash on signing day that’ll be enough to make your wildest dreams come true. But do wrong by me, and he’ll break your tibias so bad that you won’t even have enough moves left to get the odd ruble tossed your way while you’re playing street ball in Moldova. Jesus, my friend. If you want to meet him, you come on down.”

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"Lying a about a barbecue" isn't near enough to get a show cause. It's not just Miller who was punished much less for doing much worse than that.
And yet, based on what I have read thru the years, it happened. It isnt near enough, yet it was.
If you know of more that I am leaving off or forgetting or whatever, offer it up. It happened more than a decade ago, so I very well could be forgetting something. I do remember he didnt even land the recruit- it was Craft who was damn solid at Ohio State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login