Jackson Airport Update…

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Given the disparaging comments made last week on this board about the Jackson Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport, I thought I would document my experience today.

We entered the front doors of JAN today at 1:13pm. We proceeded to the Delta counter where we checked two (2) bags without incident. We then made the short walk to security (precheck of course.)

As I exit security l, I look down at my watch again. It’s 1:19pm.

It took us six (6) minutes from the time we walked in the door to check bags and get through security. Service was extremely friendly.

This might be the best airport in the world.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Given the disparaging comments made last week on this board about the Jackson Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport, I thought I would document my experience today.

We entered the front doors of the JAN today at 1:13pm. We proceeded to the Delta counter where we checked two (2) bags without incident. We then made the short walk to security (precheck of course.)

It took us six (6) minutes from the time we walked in the door to check bags and get through security. Service was extremely friendly.

Subtle flex saying you are flying the rich man's airline - Delta.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This has been my experience as well. Typically doesn’t take more than a few minutes to clear security at JAN

Reactions: Ers236

patdog

May 28, 2007
Subtle flex saying you are flying the rich man's airline - Delta.
That would be the Atlantic Aviation terminal for you peasants who have to set foot in the regular terminal. **

I've only flown out-into it one trip. And it was nice.

Reactions: dawgstudent

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

We entered the front doors of the JAN today at 1:13pm. We proceeded to the Delta counter where we checked two (2) bags without incident. We then made the short walk to security (precheck of course.)

Haven't flown out of Jackson in a long time, but when I did, it was super easy but everything was worn out. I'm sure it was probably cleaner than most airports because of the lack of traffic, but it felt dingy.

That said, I'll gladly take a dingy feeling airport that I can show up to an hour before my flight though rather than a nice airport I spend an extra 30-60 minutes in because of worrying about getting through security. Hopefully they've had the opportunity to update it since then. Would probably only take skipping the Paris air show a couple of times to go a long way with renovations of the big wear and tear items like carpet.

Bjm021889

Oct 2, 2023
The issue is with the early AM flights as soon as the airport opens. There are like 4 or 5 flights that depart between 6-7am everyday. Like 400 people are there at the same moment trying to get through one security checkpoint at the same time.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's been remodeled a bit. It's not bad compared to so many other airports. It ain't a place to spend half a day. It's good at getting you there. Baggage claim can be a little slow at times.

And Delta can often be cheaper than Southwest and others. You just have to know how to find the good airfares.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I can make I through security at msy in 15 min or less with pre check. Back when I would use Jan it would be 5 minutes max checking in and security

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

We entered the front doors of JAN today at 1:13pm. We proceeded to the Delta counter where we checked two (2) bags without incident. We then made the short walk to security (precheck of course.)

1) Fly Delta.
2) There are two certainties flying out of Jackson: if you get there early, there will be no line; if you get there close, there will be an inexplicable line out the door

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't do pre check (my life long goal is to never fly again CONUS), but earlier this month at BWI the "pre check" line was longer and slower than a cat's back, I sailed though the regular security line in a couple of mikes. BWI is a military/federal civilian employee hub so their "pre check" passengers are likely a much higher percentage.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Flew in to JAN today via SWA from KATL. No issues. My checked bags actually beat me to the baggage claim.
I really do think that airport would flourish if the state would take it over, or at least had a voice at the table of the powers at be. Interaction with JMAA through various work projects makes me wonder if the people I see walking around Hotel O on 55S are headed to work at KJAN

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I have flown out of & back into Jackson for work 5 times in the last 7-8 week (3 times on Delta & twice on American). My experience was pleasant each time. It is 11 miles from my house to the Airport although LAKELAND DRIVE. I usually leave the house an hour & a half before my scheduled departure.
The only consistent issue for me in Jackson is that baggage claim is gawd-awful for a small airport. I make a real effort to avoid checking a bag.

Reactions: onewoof

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008

Been years since I flew out of Jackson, does Delta still have the Crown Room there?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
My kids flew out of JAN a week ago. Boarding time was 10:40 a.m. Got them to airport at 9:45. They cleared security at 9:48. 3 minutes from door to cleared thru security. American Airlines.
That’s good that it worked out that way for them. But I wouldn’t take that chance even at JAN.

I had a 6:30am Delta flight several months ago and showed up around 5:15. I didn’t check bags so I went straight to the security line. On that day for some reason, the entire room with the queue was full of people and it took between 30-45 minutes to get through it.

There were several groups of people behind me that missed their 6:05 Southwest flight to Houston.

I’ve also taken that early morning Southwest flight a couple of times in the past year and there has hardly been anybody in the security line. But, I’m not gonna risk missing that stupid flight by thinking “oh it’s just Jackson.”

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Haven't flown out of Jackson in a long time, but when I did, it was super easy but everything was worn out. I'm sure it was probably cleaner than most airports because of the lack of traffic, but it felt dingy.

That said, I'll gladly take a dingy feeling airport that I can show up to an hour before my flight though rather than a nice airport I spend an extra 30-60 minutes in because of worrying about getting through security. Hopefully they've had the opportunity to update it since then. Would probably only take skipping the Paris air show a couple of times to go a long way with renovations of the big wear and tear items like carpet.
While it's certainly fast to get in and out of, yeah, the airport infrastructure itself is still overseen by the City of Jackson. And we all know how they do things.

The FAA will never allow the field to be unsafe, but just the overall state of the terminal is a bit.....dated. And they certainly have no idea how to maintain things.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I just don’t know how all you people who are getting through in ten minutes are finding time to bribe TSA to let your concealed carry through

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Long time ago when I still flew, I loved flying out of Jackson or Memphis. It was very easy to visit folks up in north Mississippi when I went with the either airport, but Jackson was much easier to get out of when I was traveling. Of course this was the day that Southwest was still flying into Jackson. I don't know if they are now.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I see nothing in those articles except obscurity. It’s almost like smoke and mirrors. I’ve flown into Atlantic, and did not know that electric airplane charges were a thing there….or anywhere. Figured “E-flight” is still in the R&D phase for the most part. I’m just a dirty helo guy, so what do I know?

Reactions: Fritz!

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Sounds familiar.

Waiting in line at JAN is minimal. I 17'ing love it. I've never had a problematic issue flying into or out of JAN. (Knock on wood . . . I'm flying into JAN on September 11.)

You boys want to see a line? Fly internationally into IAD (Dulles International Airport) in the late afternoon during Spring Break and get in line at Customs like we did last spring.

It wasn't fun.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Sounds familiar.

Waiting in line at JAN is minimal. I 17'ing love it. I've never had a problematic issue flying into or out of JAN. (Knock on wood . . . I'm flying into JAN on September 11.)

You boys want to see a line? Fly internationally into IAD (Dulles International Airport) in the late afternoon during Spring Break and get in line at Customs like we did last spring.

It wasn't fun.
Or, try and show up at either of the Orlando airports within 2 hours of your flight and expect to make it. Good luck.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Sounds familiar.

It wasn't fun.
Or, try and show up at either of the Orlando airports within 2 hours of your flight and expect to make it. Good luck.

Jackson ran a discount airline for one year back in 17 or 18 that flew into "Orlando" to their Sanford airport. Seems like a deal until you realize that that airport is about 30-40 miles from the Disney/Universal areas so a taxi or Uber is >100 bucks.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
That’s good that it worked out that way for them. But I wouldn’t take that chance even at JAN.

I had a 6:30am Delta flight several months ago and showed up around 5:15. I didn’t check bags so I went straight to the security line. On that day for some reason, the entire room with the queue was full of people and it took between 30-45 minutes to get through it.

There were several groups of people behind me that missed their 6:05 Southwest flight to Houston.

I’ve also taken that early morning Southwest flight a couple of times in the past year and there has hardly been anybody in the security line. But, I’m not gonna risk missing that stupid flight by thinking “oh it’s just Jackson.”
Every time I have flown out of JAN there is at least one person that is trying to rush through security because they arrived there 30 min before their flight was scheduled to take off.

Also I fly regularly with fly fishing equipment in my carry on. JAN is the only airport I have to show proof that I am allowed (and is recommended) to carry on fragile sporting equipment.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Arrived at MCO yesterday at 515. Checked bags and started security at 535, flight departed at 0630. No issues.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Arrived at MCO yesterday at 515. Checked bags and started security at 535, flight departed at 0630. No issues.
Impressive bc it’s by far the worst airport I’ve ever used. By a lot.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Impressive bc it’s by far the worst airport I’ve ever used. By a lot.
It wasn’t the best airport I’ve ever been to (Coastal Carolina Regional takes the cake), but it was far, far better than LAX. I despise everything in and around that 17’n place.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login