Jackson Prep coach left?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Those Prep mamas would not be pleased with young Kincade Beauregard III having to play annual away games at places like Provine or Callaway.

I mean, do you really blame them? If they are at Prep to play football, it's either because they're idiots or because they are there to play football in the sense of "I can get playing time here but not at the public school I'd go to". So if you're a parent of a kid at Prep, you shouldn't really be that worried about whether you're playing great competition regularly. And while I'm sure Provine and Callaway are fine to go to for football games, they're probably not where I would want to spend my Friday nights either.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Funny you should mention Hartfield here, because nothing I've heard that Turner did was so serious that it couldn't have been overcome had he not lost to Hartfield twice in Hartfield's first year in the big boy division.

Had Turner finished 11-2 instead of 8-5 he'd be the Prep coach right now.

I suspect Prep is going to have a harder and harder time competing in sports. JA is it least very close to what's left of the money crowd in Jackson; not that Prep is far from it, but it's not as convenient. And for people commuting to downtown Jackson from madison or ridgeland, it's reasonably convenient to get to. I'm not sure what the appeal of Prep is anymore. It's in a less convenient location than JA (although I guess it will be a safer location longer than JA's will), it's academics are not as well thought of as St Andrews (although I guess it's a good bit cheaper and your kids are less likely to be weird as ****), public schools are decent to good for a lot of the area that it should be drawing students from, it's more expensive than Hartsfield (although I guess it's academic reputation is better?). I would expect Hartfield and MRA to be consistently better than Prep in athletics going forward, and probably better than JA too.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I mean, do you really blame them? If they are at Prep to play football, it's either because they're idiots or because they are there to play football in the sense of "I can get playing time here but not at the public school I'd go to". So if you're a parent of a kid at Prep, you shouldn't really be that worried about whether you're playing great competition regularly. And while I'm sure Provine and Callaway are fine to go to for football games, they're probably not where I would want to spend my Friday nights either.
That might be true for Park Place or Heidelburg but not for Prep (or any of the other MAIS 6As plus GC).

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
GC may have to in order to find some competition, 3A MAIS is a joke for them. Only problem is they'd most likely be in 2A at MHSAA level bc of enrollment #'s and oh boy those games would be ugly. I do fully agree that MAIS/MHSAA should play each other all the time, especially the top division MAIS where they only have a handful of teams. Even where I went to school (small MAIS school), it's been much better to add a nearby MHSAA school than drive 2.5 hours for a non division game

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
There are a lot of good coaches that could be successful at Prep, but they won't hire them. I think they'll go after Peterson this time. There was some chatter there last time. Preps glory days are over unless they pick up the recruiting.
They're a baseball school now.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Most of the MHSAA that has to deal with the private schools that are already in it on a regular basis, would like to see private schools banned from it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I suspect Prep is going to have a harder and harder time competing in sports. JA is it least very close to what's left of the money crowd in Jackson; not that Prep is far from it, but it's not as convenient. And for people commuting to downtown Jackson from madison or ridgeland, it's reasonably convenient to get to. I'm not sure what the appeal of Prep is anymore. It's in a less convenient location than JA (although I guess it will be a safer location longer than JA's will), it's academics are not as well thought of as St Andrews (although I guess it's a good bit cheaper and your kids are less likely to be weird as ****), public schools are decent to good for a lot of the area that it should be drawing students from, it's more expensive than Hartsfield (although I guess it's academic reputation is better?). I would expect Hartfield and MRA to be consistently better than Prep in athletics going forward, and probably better than JA too.
Trends are headed toward private schools, even in areas with good public schools. Prep is better academically than many of its peers. But I agree on athletics, because the schools like Hartfield will prioritize athletics at all costs.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
They should probably have to play up a division from their numerical classification, since they can (and do) pull kids from outside a typical public school district. There has to be a way to make things fair. It's amazing to me how this does not resonate with so many people (not talking specifically about you patdog, just more of an observation in general).
The MHSAA does not use a multiplier or make them play up a class.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My alma mater (Heidelberg) closed six years ago or so. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did considering that I thought it'd only last a few years after Laurel Christian started its high school.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
There was a very successful 6A Mississippi High School Coach that interviewed when Rickey Black was retired a year ago.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login