Jackson, you're number 1

catvet

May 11, 2009
Number one in citizens are leaving the fastest to go live somewhere else. Keep doing you.

Not to be outdone, Jackson is number 2 in the nation in Sexually transmitted diseases.

• Wow
Reactions: WilCoDawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Number one in citizens are leaving the fastest to go live somewhere else. Keep doing you.

Not to be outdone, Jackson is number 2 in the nation in Sexually transmitted diseases.

When did Ozarka visit Hwy. 80 and for how long?

Hey, Lumumba

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have to believe it has to be close to rock bottom. I mean when you don't have water, there's no where else to dig is it? I mean they don't even really have basketball in Jackson anymore.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Syphillis is worse in the Pine Belt area. Watch out USM fans!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I would like to know the number of Jackson residents who literally spend 90% of their money in the surrounding counties because they are afraid to shop in Jackson.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have to believe it has to be close to rock bottom. I mean when you don't have water, there's no where else to dig is it? I mean they don't even really have basketball in Jackson anymore.
It’s pretty close to rock bottom. But it won’t change until its citizens want change. And the ones who want change are saying 17 it, I’m leaving.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It’s pretty close to rock bottom. But it won’t change until its citizens want change. And the ones who want change are saying 17 it, I’m leaving.
The voters overwhelming want Lumumba, so let them have him. Jxn is no longer any type of hub of economic activity for the state or metro. Many professional offices/firms have relocated to Highland Colony in Ridgeland or Madison/Flowood. The only things Jxn has left, that has an impact on anything, is the major hospitals/State Government. Medical offices like Sports Med and others have major buildouts in Madison and Flowood, I won't be surprised to see Baptist/St D trying to relocate more of their operations out of Jackson. There are already smaller Hospitals in Flowood, Canton and 39042 Brandon.

I'm against the CCID expansion, but some of the richest families in the 'Sip live in Eastover, so I'm not surprised it passed.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The question I have is, why is Jackson having such problems and nowhere else? Jackson has a similar situation as Shreveport, Macon and Montgomery as far as core cities of similar size. But the problem is, those cities metro populations are about half of Jackson. And also, those 3 I mentioned are not the business AND governmental centers of their whole state.

Then you have bigger cities that have similar dynamics such as New Orleans, Memphis and Birmingham. Those cities are just too big to fail, so ultimately there is some outer investment in the inner cities.

So the issue is finding a city that is similar to Jackson, to look at and see why it's doing better while Jackson is not. The best I can find is Mobile, with a similar core population and metro population, even though slightly smaller with the overall metro. Maybe Columbia, SC? That's a capital city and business center. Of course, they have the university there, which is a big boost.

So I keep coming back to Mobile. While it's not the business and governmental center, it's still similar and was on a bad path for a long time. The state docks was about all they had. What happened? Well - two things. Airbus in 2012, and they finally elected a mayor who cared in 2013. So yeah I'm with you. They got Continental Tire (at least close by). Until that mayor situation gets resolved, it's over. But I can't see it happening now because too much of the population has now left.

Kind of wish Continental had located inside the city limits, because things would get improved based just on that. Still in Hinds County I guess.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
not trying to change the original subject but i loved the Provine Pipeline we had in football during the mid to late 90's and early 2000's. we won many a game with those players. them days are long gone unfortunately.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How could you be against it? It's the only option. Do you see the actual capital (and governmental center) actually moving? It's not possible.

CCID is the only saving grace.
The capitol police has existed for a long time and protected state government/resources. The last expansion was to protect residential areas (mostly upper middle class and above white people).

The capitol police force has expanded far beyond its original mission.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The question I have is, why is Jackson having such problems and nowhere else? Jackson has a similar situation as Shreveport, Macon and Montgomery as far as core cities of similar size. But the problem is, those cities metro populations are about half of Jackson. And also, those 3 I mentioned are not the business AND governmental centers of their whole state.

Then you have bigger cities that have similar dynamics such as New Orleans, Memphis and Birmingham. Those cities are just too big to fail, so ultimately there is some outer investment in the inner cities.

So the issue is finding a city that is similar to Jackson, to look at and see why it's doing better while Jackson is not. The best I can find is Mobile, with a similar core population and metro population, even though slightly smaller with the overall metro. Maybe Columbia, SC? That's a capital city and business center. Of course, they have the university there, which is a big boost.

So I keep coming back to Mobile. While it's not the business and governmental center, it's still similar and was on a bad path for a long time. The state docks was about all they had. What happened? Well - two things. Airbus in 2012, and they finally elected a mayor who cared in 2013. So yeah I'm with you. They got Continental Tire (at least close by). Until that mayor situation gets resolved, it's over. But I can't see it happening now because too much of the population has now left.

Kind of wish Continental had located inside the city limits, because things would get improved based just on that. Still in Hinds County I guess.
Jackson is worse and its people care less than any of those cities. This is what a death spiral looks like.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
How could you be against it? It's the only option. Do you see the actual capital (and governmental center) actually moving? It's not possible.

CCID is the only saving grace.
No kidding. I work downtown 2-3 days per week and I can’t remember the last time I saw a JPD cruiser on High St, State St or in the general downtown area. Capitol Police are the only ones around. 911 is a joke in the Jxn city limits and in many cases it takes JPD at least 30 minutes just to respond to an incident.

I mean, my lord, a damn high schooler jumped off a bridge during midday traffic on the interstate and citizens trying to report it either weren’t answered or were hung up on by 911.

As long as Chokey LaDumbo and the radicals run Jackson, the place will continue to be a damn joke.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Little Rock, AR. Similar size (maybe 50,000 larger), capital city, largest city in size. They have a mixed progressive City Board of Directors, a black mayor, and are thriving. River walk areas w/ restaurants and bars through downtown, good airport with direct connections to Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas Love and DFW, Washington, Denver, Houston, Vegas, LA, Miami, New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Tampa, St Pete, Orlando, St Louis, Destin. World Class duck hunting less than an hour away and trout fishing w/in 2 hrs. 18,000 seat arena for concerts, rodeos, etc and 28,000sqft of meeting space Past concerts are Kenny Chesney, WWE Raw, Blake Shelton, Avett Bros w/ Turnpike Troubadours, The Eagles, Chris Stapleton, Jason ALdean, etc. Quite a contrast to Jackson........

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The capitol police has existed for a long time and protected state government/resources. The last expansion was to protect residential areas (mostly upper middle class and above white people).

CCID first went into effect in 2018.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Little Rock, AR. Similar size (maybe 50,000 larger), capital city, largest city in size. They have a mixed progressive City Board of Directors, a black mayor, and are thriving. River walk areas w/ restaurants and bars through downtown, good airport with direct connections to Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas Love and DFW, Washington, Denver, Houston, Vegas, LA, Miami, New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Tampa, St Pete, Orlando, St Louis, Destin. World Class duck hunting less than an hour away and trout fishing w/in 2 hrs. 18,000 seat arena for concerts, rodeos, etc and 28,000sqft of meeting space Past concerts are Kenny Chesney, WWE Raw, Blake Shelton, Avett Bros w/ Turnpike Troubadours, The Eagles, Chris Stapleton, Jason ALdean, etc. Quite a contrast to Jackson........
So.....what is Little Rock, the state, whatever......doing that Jackson is not?

And the bigger question is, are these two cities really comparable, with the middle class leaving Little Rock Proper in big numbers? I would almost say no.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You might want to look a little closer

Reactions: She Mate Me

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Infrastructure. Crime Rate.

I think you're pretty much boils down to these two things. You could have many other issues you must tackle, but those are the two biggest ones. People are just not gonna keep running into a brick wall.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The capitol police has existed for a long time and protected state government/resources. The last expansion was to protect residential areas (mostly upper middle class and above white people the few actual taxpayers who haven't left yet, no matter what color they are).

Fixed the first one for you... and, yes, they have expanded far beyond their original mission. Would anyone care to guess why they did this? Do you think the Governor simply volunteered to spend all that money and expand the state police presence out of boredom, or because he's a racist dictator clamoring for power?

OR... was this a somewhat exasperated and desperate move by the state to solve yet ANOTHER crisis the city can't - or won't - handle itself?

Which is the more likely scenario?

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Sadly, a bunch of your young people are saying the same thing in their flight out of MS.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Do you think the Governor simply volunteered to spend all that money and expand the state police presence out of boredom, or because he's a racist dictator clamoring for power?
No its because in reality Republicans are just as much big spending/big government was Democrats.

I'll throw in protecting the hospitals, but nothing beyond that.
Protect the state government/resources, which was already being done and let the rest burn.

Jxn is no longer an economic center. I've worked downtown for already 30 years, even before COVID, DT was becoming more and more deserted. What next take over LE in Greenville and Murderidian? Where does it stop? Why should rich, white people in Belahven, Fondren and Eastover get state tax payer funded LE and the rest of us not? Those folks should have left long ago, the writing was on the wall in the early 90s.

Reactions: patdog

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The Capitol Police Force was in force prior to that conducting what should be its core mission of protecting state government resources int he downtown Jxn area.
Yes, but it was more of a security force for buildings and grounds than an actual police force. The state has assets beyond downtown, including IHL, eTV, UMMC, Jackson State, Children's Museum, Natural History Museum.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Capitol Police Force was in force prior to that conducting what should be its core mission of protecting state government resources int he downtown Jxn area.
You said you were against CCID expansion. That's what I'm talking about, not just the Capitol Police.

And you say where does it end? You're a lame-brained idiot if you don't understand the state interest in Jackson. All you have to do is look at the CCID map.

You're wrong on this one. There's no chance, and no reason, for the state to take over any other city in this state.

You act as if Fondren, Eastover and Belhaven actually had decent police presence before. They did not. Many fended for themselves.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Fixed the first one for you... and, yes, they have expanded far beyond their original mission. Would anyone care to guess why they did this? Do you think the Governor simply volunteered to spend all that money and expand the state police presence out of boredom, or because he's a racist dictator clamoring for power?

OR... was this a somewhat exasperated and desperate move by the state to solve yet ANOTHER crisis the city can't - or won't - handle itself?

Which is the more likely scenario?
Because some people think if they get different judges hearing Jackson crime cases, then somehow things will be better. Don't ask me why, I don't understand it either, the jails are all full. And state leadership will pander in a heartbeat to keep their gravy trains running. Pandering is all it is.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because some people think if they get different judges hearing Jackson crime cases, then somehow things will be better. Don't ask me why, I don't understand it either, the jails are all full. And state leadership will pander in a heartbeat to keep their gravy trains running. Pandering is all it is.
You're just so wrong it's difficult to even attempt to reason with you. The backlogs are long. The judges are just releasing criminals and not filing basic paperwork in a reasonable timeframe. No matter what, at best, they are understaffed. The only real question is whether it needs to come from the CCID or the City of Jackson.

We can build more jails. That's always been just a terrible rationale. You can't release criminals because your jail is full, you build more. Period. You can't break the law.

The gravy train you refer to is the one that prevented the water system from being maintained. It runs through the City of Jackson, not the state.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You said you were against CCID expansion. That's what I'm talking about, not just the Capitol Police.

And you say where does it end? You're a lame-brained idiot if you don't understand the state interest in Jackson. All you have to do is look at the CCID map.

You're wrong on this one. There's no chance, and no reason, for the state to take over any other city in this state.

You act as if Fondren, Eastover and Belhaven actually had decent police presence before. They did not. Many fended for themselves.
Let's agree to disagree and leave it at this.

1. Other than State Government/Major Hospitals, there are not many other major interests left in Jxn. Take a ride down Highland Colony. That's were many CPA firms, Financial Advisors, Law Firms, Company HQs/processing centers now reside.

2. Most folks in Fondren/Belhaven/Eastover knew the deal when they moved in. The ones already there had 30 years to get out.

If you don't currently live in the Jxn area, it's easy not to understand this. The Capitol Police ALREADY existed and protected state government/resources. I'm pro their original mission.

You bought into this CCID deal, which I'm sure SuperTalk pushed and raved about "protecting" state government. That was already being done. CCID protects mostly rich, white folks at state tax payer expense.

One of the sponsors of the bill is from Water Valley, why do you think they used someone from so far away (and not a legislator from Rankin/Madison) to push all this? Because voters in central MS can see through the BS.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yes, but it was more of a security force for buildings and grounds than an actual police force. The state has assets beyond downtown, including IHL, eTV, UMMC, Jackson State, Children's Museum, Natural History Museum.
It was not a patrolling police force because its mission was protecting state resources. UMC/JSU already had their own police forces.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1. Other than State Government/Major Hospitals, there are not many other major interests left in Jxn. Take a ride down Highland Colony. That's were many CPA firms, Financial Advisors, Law Firms, Company HQs/processing centers now reside.
The CCID protects state interest. Not "other major interests". But if "other major interests" benefit, I'm fine with that.

If you don't currently live in the Jxn area, it's easy not to understand this. The Capitol Police ALREADY existed and protected state government/resources. I'm pro their original mission.
This has already been debunked in this thread. ETA: you actually just admitted it above.

You bought into this CCID deal, which I'm sure SuperTalk pushed and raved about "protecting" state government. That was already being done. CCID protects mostly rich, white folks at state tax payer expense.

One of the sponsors of the bill is from Water Valley, why do you think they used someone from so far away (and not a legislator from Rankin/Madison) to push all this? Because voters in central MS can see through the BS.
I bought into it because it helps Jackson. I'm glad they used people that aren't from around here, because unfortunately the people from around here (like you) make it difficult to get anything done, with ridiculous takes like this.

It's a simple thing, really. I get that you don't want state resources being used for this. But it's the higher ideal that matters, not just your own selfish over-the-top conservatism. Read my typing here: JACKSON CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO SIMPLY DIE. It is the capital city of the state.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
It was not a patrolling police force because its mission was protecting state resources. UMC/JSU already had their own police forces.
and due to Jackson's incompetency, they needed a patrolling/investigating force to fully protect their resources. You are right, but Capitol Police help connect the states resources to foster a safer area for employees, students, visitors, etc.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
How many here know George Soros even bought Oktibehah's DA? Starting to figger out how deep his evil tentacles permeate our country? Is it mere coincidence those with ways and means despite their race are leaving democrat run cities and states for Red Areas?

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Let's agree to disagree and leave it at this.

2. Most folks in Fondren/Belhaven/Eastover knew the deal when they moved in. The ones already there had 30 years to get out.

The state cannot protect it's interests while making residents live outside of and then commute through a "no-go" zone to get to state owned properties. The state needs some taxpaying citizens to remain in Jackson proper and for there to be a place for government workers to live without having a 40+ minute commute. How exactly do you propose we get people to work for state government. Your pitch would apparently be something like "Your pay will probably be below other states, and you'll also have to commute 40+ minutes, you'll be at greater risk of crime anytime you're not on government owned property. And PERS is underfunded enough that there will eventually be haircuts on your retirement. When can you start?"

The CCID won't make that pitch a lot better (except for UMMC doctors that can afford to live in eastover), but it's at least a small step. And it will help keep things like the children's museum viable for longer by reducing crime along the northern routes used to get there. It's just absurd to say that the State doesn't have an interest in having any portion of the capital city off government property have things like running water, reasonable levels of safety, decent roads, etc.

The rest of hte state puts a lot of money into State government and they deserve to have some parts of the capital city be functional.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login